Poll--The Weakest Link: AC/DC DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP, Round 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Beat me to it, Squealer is awesome musically, especially Angus. Perhaps it’s the sleepy lyrics that turn a few people off? I had to vote off Problem Child on the basis it still annoys me that it appears on two AC/DC albums...all these decades and they still haven’t fixed this issue and restored the Australian albums into the main catalogue...even in the age of streaming.

2. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Rockin' and Millionaire.

First heard certain tracks off the album here and there, like on the radio and at friends houses for years, but I don't think I heard the whole album until the late 90s when I really delved into their catalog. Loved it then, love it now.

blutiga likes this.
  3. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Yeah, I almost chose "Problem Child" as well for the same redundancy reason, but then remembered that it actually appeared on this album first. I didn't realize until much later than '81 that Dirty Deeds was in fact an earlier release, let alone was I aware in those days of the existence of any Aussie editions.

Interesting how we've all been introduced to this album differently, and to the band as a whole for that matter. Totally agree about "Squealer" btw, despite its perhaps sounding a bit like Judas Priest (or maybe that's the other way around?), and will find that one difficult to vote off.

Thanks for participating! :tiphat:

4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Not really in cover art, more into music but to each his own.[​IMG]

5. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Someone voted for Problem Child? What's wrong with you people?!

Anyways, picked ANF, TGBSR.

Don't recall when I first heard it. Probably mid 80s.

6. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

I haven't listened to the US version in a while, I usually listen to the Australian LP that has Jailbreak and RIP instead of Rocker.

blutiga likes this.
  7. Ghost of Ziggy

Does anyone know where you can pick up the Aussie versions at a reasonable price? Won’t pay the scalpers on eBay!

blutiga likes this.
  8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Voted for "Big Balls" and "Squealer".

I first heard this album in the late 80s (when in my mid-teens) when I bought the Australian Vol. 1 6-LP box set, which meant I really was introduced to all the Bon Scott albums all at once. This was my first AC/DC purchase, and it seems strange looking back that I should have splashed out for a box set right away, but I seem to recall it was on sale and I was probably already pretty convinced I would like it, which I did, loved all of it and had an AC/DC obsession for a couple of years. I didn't hear the version in this game until much later when I bought the CD remasters (which was the first time I heard "Love At First Feel", since it is not on any Autralian LP). I will save the rest (in relation to the other albums, Australian vs. international, etc.) for later.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    blutiga likes this.
  9. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I know on cd I can't get the Aussie versions here locally. I think the original Albert's cd issues are probably going for a mint. The Lp is much the same. If you are looking for vinyl you can get an early 80's red label Alberts for anywhere between about $80 and $100 US online. Their might be cheaper CD issues of the Aussie version out there that I'm not sure about though. It aint no fun collecting Bon ACDC vinyl if you're not a millionaire :)

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  10. Ghost of Ziggy

Right! I do remember they had the Aussie cd versions on amazon about 10 years ago, about £10 English pounds each. Kicking myself now. I would prefer the vinyl though.

blutiga likes this.
  11. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Another album I wouldn’t mess with.

blutiga likes this.
  12. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

About 5 yrs ago I was in a local vinyl shop and I was talking to the guy about ACDC vinyl. He pulled out a first press blue roo Dirty Deeds from a shelf behind the counter. It had virtually no signs of play on the label and the vinyl was as close to near mint as you would see except for one very small and minor scuff mark. It probably wouldn't have even sounded. He wanted about $150 Australian. I was going through a perfectionist stage about vinyl back then, and decided not to get it. I thought, oh I'll find another one soon enough :doh:

wellhamsrus, Ghost of Ziggy and drift like this.
  13. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Forum Resident

Dirty Deeds is a mess. Delete the international version and bring the original Aussie release to the fore.
    Oh, and Kenny Everett was a hoot.
    "When we were an empire, we had an emperor. Where we were a kingdom, we had a king. Now we're a country and we have Maggie Thatcher".

blutiga likes this.
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'd agree, but you really have to fix the whole catalog. And then add "Love At First Feel" as a bonus track somewhere. IIRC, it wasn't on ANY Aussie album, just on a 12" single, right?

This (the US or International) version would be fine if they had just not messed up LTBR by replacing "Crabsody In Blue" with "Problem Child", which made PC appear as a redundant track here, even though this is the album where it belongs.

blutiga likes this.
  15. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

:laugh:

16. Flaevius

Flaevius Left of the dial

Big Balls and There's Gonna Be Some Rockin' earned my votes. The first is a puerile throwaway track and the second a shade below some other mid-level tracks on this album.

How the big balls has Squealer earned 28 votes here though?! It may be the best track on the album.

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It was released as a 7" single in Australia, after Dirty Deeds had been released, so it's first appearance was on the international version of the album.

[​IMG]

The 12" you're thinking of could be "Cold Hearted Man", which is the other Bon Scott song which was not on an Australian album, it was eventually included on a separate 12" in the Australian box set I mentioned in my previous post.

blutiga likes this.
  18. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes Thread Starter

19. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yes. This is a strange one for me. I didn't know this was a standalone Aussie ACDC single for years after the fact. Jailbreak and Dirty Deeds were the singles off the album. Jailbreak was a big hit, with an iconic film clip to promote it. Dirty Deeds wasn't as big a hit 45, but was played on radio a lot and was well known from the album which was top 5 at least. I was an a avid listener of our local radio station 3xy as a kid, and have no memory of hearing this 45 or seeing any promotion of it on TV at the time. Dog Eat Dog was released as the lead 45 off Let There Be Rock a few months later. I remember Dog Eat Dog as a 45 and there was a film clip. Let There Be Rock was released as the next single and was pretty big. Also with the iconic Bon clip that got shown on TV a lot at the time. The wiki entry for Love At First Feel says only that it made the top 100 over here. I would love to know where it charted? Or whether any other Aussies remember this song from the time?

tages likes this.
  20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Love At First Feel is a great song. Whether it belongs on this album or not is another thing but the song itself is great.

agentalbert and blutiga like this.
  21. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

It's made it to the next round :) And it was good enough to be ACDC's only stand alone 45 ever!

vamborules likes this.
  22. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

With regard to first hearing the album, I experienced Jailbreak and the album in real time as it were. I have no idea how or when I heard it as a whole album before at least 79ish that I remember. But you heard ACDC songs everywhere here in Aus in the mid to late 70's. Abba might have been selling millions of singles and albums here, but ACDC was just as ubiquitous in homes, and out and about the neighbourhoods at barbecues and things. You couldn't 'not' hear it.
    A mystical story about this album circa 77 0r 78..... my two lifelong mates, two brothers one about 12 and the other about 10 at the time. Had spent the last year begging their mum to buy the album for them. Their Mum flat out refused to buy them the album.
    Soon after, they are walking along the street together in our beachside suburb - and an old Holden car goes screaming past them and something flies out the car window. Thinking it looked like a pack of smokes..... they ran to see what it was. They picked it up off the ground and it was a Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap cassette. They couldn't believe it and ran back home to their mum proudly exclaiming 'we've got it mum. We've got it'!
    True story.

23. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

First heard it on a school band trip to Beaverdell in 1981. We would take a long round trip each day on the school bus to our billet's house. The driver allowed tapes to be played on the bus, and the same 3 ones were played over and over and over-this, Back In Black, and Rocky Burnette's Son Of Rock And Roll ("tired of hearing this song").

blutiga and drift like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.