Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. StevenTounsand

StevenTounsand Waxidermy Refugee

I got the 75th version and was impressed by the unipak recreation (patent must not be pending anymore!). It also sounds great but I don’t have any comparisons...

2. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I have SLAC on both MM and an OG in the Unipak g/f.

I'll have to compare them but my recollection is that the MM was a little better. I personally don't recall any complaining about the MM as Jeff seems to remember, but it's certainly possible.

I'll listen for myself and decide. In fact I just did a rip of the OG the other day as I was playing it and thought it might be nice to have so I could do some A/B comparisons when I take out the MM again.

I tend to always be on a bit of an island with this stuff anyway. Some of the things people complain about don't bother me at all, whereas it boggles my mind that people listen to some of those BN80s and TPs and aren't driven up the wall by those speed problems on the piano. But I will will do a shootout. Recstar did a great job explaining what he hears but I guess it can't hurt to throw out another opinion on both the OG and the MM.

wellers73, Vic Trola and recstar24 like this.
  3. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Interesting. Yeah, I just called him and he said his was on B1 ("Duke's Mixture"), right during the first 30 seconds. Happened on several copies so he wondered it they had a bad batch. I told him it seems like plenty of people with unnumbered copies have had no issues so it's probably just typical RTI stuff as opposed to an entire box or something. He said he ended up springing for a numbered copy and it had no issues., but this is probably just pure luck.

Anyway.... welcome to MMJ buying. A few tics or clicks will never matter in the overall scheme of things. Their reissues are some of the best in all of music, IMO.

farewelltransmission likes this.
  4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

looking forward to it. Spinning the MM now! It’s kind of like comparing audio gear, it’s clearly better but by how much and if it’s worth it to whoever is asking...

5. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

Just placed an order for:

(anything with Hutcherson is a must + the first track reminds me of being a spy movie)​
    (so cool, can't wait to listen to this at night)​
    (the 2nd half of the album stands out to me)​
    (blind-buy because surprises are fun, right? + you guys rave about this one so much)​

It was a tough pick on the 4th title to get free shipping. I was between Patterns in Jazz and The Cape Verdean Blues. I decided to go with Gil Melle because the album is excellent from start to finish. The Horace Silver album is mostly good in part to the JJ Johnson tracks making the first half of the album a tad lukewarm for me. I usually favor the more post-bop "out-there" or cool jazz offerings from this series.

If I could just get a copy of Basra and Happenings I think I could say I am mostly done.

6. IanL

IanL Senior Member

The 80th of Basra is quite good IMO.

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I was a little tongue-in-cheek, as I think you might have picked up. As I have heard no copies of this title other than hearing it on YouTube, I can't opine on this one. But I was scared off from buying the MM partly due to its cost as well as the mixed reviews I read on it. But I might take a chance.

In what ways is it better than an original (OG)? In the usual suspect ways? ;)

8. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

Looks like Gooden's Corner is sold out, I was about to include it in my order I just placed but oh well. I debated it long enough so i'll take it as a sign.

I did pull a couple from the limited stock group as a heads up if you want Freedom or SLAC.
    Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child
    H. Silver - The Stylings Of Silver
    Art Blakey - Like Someone In Love
    Kenny Burrell - Freedom
    Kenny Dorham - At Cafe Bohemia

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  9. AmiV

AmiV Forum Resident

Yeap. Mine (bought many years ago) is numbered (#957) and clicks for ~20 rotations right at the beginning of Duke's Mixture as well. So yes, a bad batch and no, a numbered copy is no guarantee. It's the one MM I always wanted to buy another copy of (international shipping makes the $35 purchase from MM impossible, so I was looking elsewhere) but now that I know the issue is generic it seems there is no point.

10. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

After reading your comment I listened to the AP45 and the - standard - MM33 and I really prefer the AP.
    Also listened to Speak no Evil (MM45 and 33). On the 33 you can hear the piano much better. Different tape apparently.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  11. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Lee Morgan -The Cooker and Stanley Turrentine - That’s Where It’s At get the Tone Poet treatment. Donald Byrd Byrd in Flight was also considered by MM at some point and gets a TP release at the end of this year. I hope JH chooses Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring for TP 2021, as well as another famous BN title: Bobby Hutcherson Dialogue.

DeRosa, UchidaT, Kimiimacman and 3 others like this.
  12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

And so is Right Now!, and glad I have it on the way...have to thank those that said a must have.

TheoJ, Cervelo and Sneezyachew like this.
  13. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Alright - spent a good chunk of my workday yesterday building my MMJ and Acoustic Sounds cart, trying to decide what to get. Took forever to settle on this, with Speak Like A Child going in and out.

I’ve got all the rest of his Blue Note releases in some form from BN80 (Takin’ Off, Inventions & Dimensions) or MMJ (Empyrean Isles 33, Maiden Voyage SRX) and will grab The TP Prisoner and BN80 My Point of View, so I just bit the bullet and added it to not ever worry about missing it. It’s a beautiful album but not my favorite, though I would have gladly paid $100 Maiden Voyage and would have paid $75 for SLAC so it all evens out in the end.

Final cart included:
    • Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond
    • Jackie McLean - Destination...Out!
    • Grachan Moncur III - Evolution
    • Andrew Hill - Judgment!!
    • Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child
    Still a couple titles left that are “must haves” for me based on what’s still in stock that I’m saving as free shipping titles in the last SRX attempt. But reallllly glad to get these secured (4 of which MMJ labeled as handful of copies left, though taken with a grain of salt)

14. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

Anybody have any news, rumors or rumblings as to when or how Music Matters is going to handle these last two SRX titles from the current run?

Twinsfan007 and Sneezyachew like this.
  15. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

That's a great quintet you have there! I have Destination...Out! and Evolution in my order that's supposed to be arriving today, but you never know with USPS media mail.

NorthNY Mark, beyondmiles and scotti like this.
  16. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Can you elaborate? What made you prefer the AP 45 of Idle Moments over the MM 33?

17. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

oops, I accidentally made another order for the ones I really didn’t want to leave out.

I also have coming:
    Patterns in jazz
    Matador
    Jubilee shout
    Leapin and loppin

and now I must say goodbye to you all because I clearly can’t say no to enablers as I have no self control when it comes to blissful listening. :)

18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Do you honestly think any of us believe one word of this. You might think you are saying goodbye but we know better. You will find yourself sucked right back in without even knowing it.

That's one heck of an order you have coming! Don't know much about PIJ but I have heard it's a good one! I can't wait for my "Jubilee Shout!" to arrive, which looks like next Tuesday along with Right Now! If a title has an exclamation point in it, I'm just going to order it even if unheard.

and @musictoad I sure hope you are right and that Cisco version of "One Flight Up" I have coming next Wednesday sounds as good as you say. I got mine for $75 which I was a bit hesitant at first with since I know nothing of their sound quality. But the only other one listed on ebay is $132 with shipping, so I guess I did just fine considering.

TheoJ and timzigs like this.
  19. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I think he means he's just disappearing into listening euphoria for a few hours.

You won't be disappointed with the Cisco One Flight Up. But report back and let us know if you are :D

20. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Just received a shipping confirmation from MMJ for Freddie Hubbard's Goin' Up and Herbie Hancock's Speak Like A Child.

Dmann201 and scotti like this.
  21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! I have a feeling I'm going to love it! Know the music, just not the sound. And now with your endorsement along with the great Mr. "Musictoad's" how could it not sound anything but great...

22. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Kevin Gray did an amazing job with that One Flight Up, you are going to love it. Cisco doesn't have the gorgeous Staughten gatefold like MMs do but it's the sound that matters with this one. Once the needle hits and "Tanya" begins you are going to melt. I'll buy you a drink if you're underwhelmed haha.

Crazysteve, Bryce, Elofan and 3 others like this.
  23. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Have you heard the SRX of Idle Moments? Lower noise floor brings out more detail. I haven't heard the AP, but the difference b/w the standard MMJ and SRX is very noticeable.

Regarding Speak No Evil, I don't hear much difference in the piano, but I definitely prefer the more open sound of the 45.

Cervelo, scotti and musictoad like this.
  24. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I just slipped this on and was overwhelmed by the big bold sound, yet Dexter's horn is silky smoooooth. On second thought, post back your thoughts if you like it too :)

scotti and musictoad like this.
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Second this big time! One of the only standard MMJ 33's that I have been able to compare to the SRX counterpart, and this one is just mind boggling good! Easily one of the best sounding SRX's I have heard. The difference is quite noticeable indeed.

Elofan and musictoad like this.