Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Gotta give that video another chance

Oliver likes this.
  2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Mingus never really did if for me. Too much going on maybe ?

Oliver likes this.
  3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

“The End”

[​IMG]

Dennis0675, US Blues, jay.dee and 5 others like this.
  4. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

This may sound silly but I actually think of him as the Frank Zappa of jazz(pre-dating Zappa of course)- very composition oriented, wild, almost anti establishment of jazz.
    If this doesn't do it for you than nothing will. Which would be fine different strokes...
    Edit: not to mention you can often hear him scatting or scolding his band during performances which is kind of fun...

5. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Let me check that out. Tomorrow. Sober and in the right frame of mind.

Oliver likes this.
  6. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I hear you. :edthumbs:

Erik B. likes this.
  7. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

:wantsome:
    Enjoying a few double Hazy IPAs and some 1985 vintage Dead right now.

:wiggle:

notesofachord and Oliver like this.
  8. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Realized earlier today that as of March I've been a member here for 15 years. How time flies!

adamos, sami, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  9. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Drinking some Old Grand Dad 100 proof bourbon. :ed:

10. notesofachord

[​IMG]

Rne, frightwigwam and Erik B. like this.
  11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

chit is about to get weird.

13. notesofachord

14. notesofachord

Q-Tip’s flow is so dope.

15. arabia 777

arabia 777 Member

16. notesofachord

Sonic Youth
    Tibetan Freedom Concert 1996

17. sami

sami Mono still rules

At the end of the day, I always come back to Antibes as my favorite Mingus - perfect band, incredible performances.

18. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Neil Young Fireside Sessions IV and Barnyard Edition

19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I follow freejazzblog.org and I enjoy their commentary and reviews save when they conflate the music as something resistant or political (and the stuff with spoken word or specifically political stuff is of no interest to me - no spirit in any of that as Jerry would have known) but recently some of their reviewers have made comments remarking that not as much have changed within this sphere of music as some might think.

I thoroughly disagree and tend to think those with that viewpoint have become too close to that music to recognize the changes and development. Same view would happen if one was not very familiar with this subset of music. Balance is critical.

but I will say that a newer listener might compare or contrast the music of Dave Rempis or Mats Gustafsson to the later 60’s free jazz or even the 90’s - 00’s downtown revival. Radically different sounds and approach. Listen to Nate Wooley as well. He’s now on the scene 15 years or so and his improvising and musical ideas are still radical. Plus he’s the best trumpeter on the planet.

now listening to Kuzu - Purple Dark Opal

Rempis with Tashi Dorji on guitar and Tyler Damon on drums

55:45 piece called “To The Quick”

recorded live on 10/14/2018 @ Sugar Maple in Milwaukee

I dare you all to listen to this mind ****

20. sami

sami Mono still rules

Couldn't agree more.

johnnypaddock and Dahabenzapple like this.
  21. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

taking a break at the 34:40 mark as Rempis takes a break from the baritone saxophone after maybe a 15 to 18 improvisation with his band mates on the beast. I think he switches to tenor for the long closing segment. Last 10 - 12 minutes were very very intense. The young guitar-drums tandem drives this music to very extreme yet open places. Wow as is almost always the case with Rempis’ releases on his Aerophonic Records label.

hope he is surviving OK without being able to play live which he normally does traveling world wide to play in rooms with various small groups to play in front of 20 to probably 50 or maybe a hundred people on a good night.

US Blues likes this.
  22. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Interesting as I have never come across any political content there. I don't read every article/review though.

23. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

There is a good one if you can find it, a full Fillmore West show a year later, '70, called Go West.
    More Clarence, more Clarence.

[​IMG]

The closest I got was the Sweetheart Tour at the end of 2018, the last show of the tour: McGuinn,
    Hillman,
    and lo', Clarence White's B bender played by none other than Marty Stuart. The Fabulous
    Superlatives
    were pretty fabulous too.

I like that album a lot; there are some 90's records Danko cut with Eric Anderson and Jonas Fjeld
    that are very pleasing, sweet sounding americana, with Rick still in decent voice.

Thanks for a great story @davmar77, about your friends and the Rick Danko show during power outage.

Was playing/now playing... after another small social gathering with humans from earth
    last night, got home late, and this pair was laying around offering up the perfect moment
    and late night study in the nouveau dilettantism of covidity... anyway it was perfect, until
    a (caged animal) friend called to rant the night away 'bout almost everything. lol

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Leon is crazy, Art Garfunkel is the gorgeous morning ice cream pop that I need...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Billion Dollar Babies. Alice Cooper, 1973.

This used to be my favorite Alice Cooper album. Now it's just an album I absolutely love :D.

25. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power