The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

If you listened to Dancing for the very first time... I hope you listened to the rest of it for the very first time as well! I'd hate for you to miss out on the opportunity to chime in threads declaring the show to be overrated and barely worth discussing compared to the rest of May.

(Which is simply another way of saying... I've had this tape for ever and I'm a jaded vet. But it might make you feel cool.)

Guy Smiley likes this.
  2. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I didn't listen to the rest. I've learned to take the hype with a grain of salt. When I read blurbs like "best concert by anyone at anytime in history" I just roll my eyes.

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Good call.

You really should listen to it though. A lotta hype for this show...but it also is a very good performance.

4. StarThrower62

Oh yeah! I can hear that the band is playing very well together. But I usually pick out certain favorite tunes to listen to from different shows. Pretty much all of those are in the 2nd set of Cornell.

lucan_g likes this.
  5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The second set is a monster and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

uzn007, Guy Smiley, ratstack and 2 others like this.
  6. StarThrower62

I just follow my muse. When the time is right for my brain and ears to hear certain music, things just click and I enjoy my epiphanies.

MattG, US Blues and peskypesky like this.
  7. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Oh brother, get the back to Cornell, ASAP and turn it up. I’m not saying it’s “the best concert by anyone at anytime in history,” but as a dead fan you’re doing yourself a great disservice by dismissing it just because it’s popular. It’s not to be missed. *the whole thing too, not just the 2nd set

WaterLemon, Guy Smiley and bliss44 like this.
  8. StarThrower62

I didn't say I dismissed it. And I just mentioned that I can hear that the band was playing very well from what I've listened to. I usually settle into my recliner in the evening with headphones and skip around on YT. I'll get back to Cornell. I don't have the CDs.

US Blues, peskypesky and ratstack like this.
  9. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

I don’t know how I came across but I wasn’t trying to be rude. The “brother” was as in, ‘brother dead fan‘ or whatever - not exasperated. But whether or not you agree with some folk’s hyperbole about best in the universe, it’s hard to argue that taken as a whole end to end show it’s not at least some kind of peak (among many peaks) in Deadland, or very close to it.

10. StarThrower62

No problem, I'm not offended. I should just by the CDs but I've blown quite a bit of money on music the past two months. I have the 5 disc movie soundtrack on the way, and some jazz CDs as well.

11. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Yeah, if a person is honestly interested in hearing some top-shelf performances of bread and butter Grateful Dead tunes, this is the show.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  12. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I’ve been listening to a lot of Europe ‘72 and May ‘77 lately, cuz it’s that time of year, of course. Wanted something different today, currently enjoying this:

[​IMG]

unravelled, Billy_Sunday, SJR and 8 others like this.
  13. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Eh, CDs are nice and vinyl is great (I have many of both), but as far as bang for the buck goes if you want access to official releases there is absolutely no better deal than one of the streaming services like Apple Music or amazon. Apple has Cornell, plus many other stand alone releases, plus all the road trips, plus all the Dick’s picks. It’s an absolute embarrassment of riches that you can stream 24/7 for like 12 bucks a month. Not to mention several million other albums...

Erik B., peskypesky and Freebird like this.
  14. StarThrower62

Yeah, I know. I just don't want to subscribe because the musicians don't get paid. I'd rather buy a CD. And I've never been a vinyl enthusiast.

15. Freebird

Absolutely. I just wish streaming services other than Tidal carried the big GD boxsets (July 78, Spring 90) which you won’t find on AM and the like.

*present or past subscriber to Apple Music, Spotify, Deezer, Qobuz, Amazon HD, Tidal

peskypesky and ratstack like this.
  16. Freebird

Lol, they get paid. And instead of getting paid at a single point of sale they get payed over the lifetime of the tunes being streamed.

peskypesky likes this.
  17. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

3.22.90 - Copps Coliseum
    This is a great show... The whole second set is just amazing.

[​IMG]

Billy_Sunday, tobyd, Jerfan13 and 5 others like this.
  18. StarThrower62

They get paid very little. And besides, I enjoy listening to CDs on my audio system. If it weren't for this lousy pandemic I'd go down to my local independent record store and buy some stuff. I fear that the only record store in town will be gone for good after this disaster.

19. MattG

20. Freebird

That’s untrue about them getting paid very little.

21. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

No I missed that. I’m basically a complete blithering idiot when it comes to reddit - I don’t understand it. I can’t find the AMA. Google just brought up a ton of links to the announcement and people talking about the announcement. Do you have a link to the actual AMA thread?

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  22. In 72 the Dead turned me on to the great Marty Robbins with that song and Big Iron.

23. StarThrower62

They referring to who? The Dead or anybody else? I don't feel the need to have access to millions of songs. I've got 5000 CDs so I've got plenty of stuff to listen to.

US Blues likes this.
  24. MattG

Just click the hotlinked text in my post, bro’ner :righton:

ratstack likes this.
  25. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Oh... see? I’m a blithering idiot.

[​IMG]

US Blues and MattG like this.