The Archies - Sugar Sugar Original 1969 Music Video

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raylinds, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Sabrina and her aunts kept their being witches a secret, with only Jughead knowing that they were witches. In one episode, there was danger that Sabrina's secret would be revealed, and she and her aunts quickly packed up and left Riverdale (if I remember correctly it turned out that it ended up the secret wasn't revealed).

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

She's fogged your mind - right there in the "Sugar Sugar" clip, she's manning the kissing booth, Reggie comes over and drops a dollar, and her kiss turns him into a frog! Did nobody else in the gym see that?! :yikes: Or, was Betty's tambourine-playing just that good...?

Chip TRG likes this.
  3. Solitaire1

That's not unusual, especially in the early days of records. If I remember correctly, many early stars got paid a one-time fee for making a recording and nothing beyond that.

4. Solitaire1

I think what I wrote may have come out of Sabrina's own show rather than on Archie (whichever name the show actually went by at the time). It could be that she fogs everyone's mind in Riverdale to ensure that no one notices her magic.

It could be related to Sam Simeon on the comic series Angel And The Ape. Sam is a gorilla with mental powers (he's the grandson of Gorilla Grodd who also has strong mental powers), who uses his abilities to cause people not to notice that he's a gorilla so he can function in human society (he works as a comic book artist). People who see him thinks he's just a unusual-looking human. It works as long as he maintains his concentration, if it waivers too much then people are surprised that they have a gorilla around them.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

So, @direwuf is correct for catching this in post #46: this is not canon! :realmad:

6. FredV

FredV Senior Member

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

8. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Hmmm, were you living in Cleveland per chance? When I lived in Akron , OH I watched a 90 minutes Popeye program that rotated the various Popeye cartoons as you described on the weekends.

9. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

10. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

You're right that it's pretty bad, but like I said before, it's apparent by watching the show that including the number one song of the week was a network mandate. That clip is not representative of The Music Scene in general. During each forty-five minute episode, there would be a lot of quality music, with just a few minutes appropriated for the top chart hits.

Here are some examples of good stuff from the show:

James Brown - World
    TEN YEARS AFTER - Bad Scene (1969)
    SLY & THE FAMILY STONE - DANCE TO THE MUSIC.LIVE TV PERFORMANCE 1969
    THE RASCALS - 1969 - "Carry Me Back"
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Night time is the right time
    Janis Joplin - Music Scene, 1969

11. Solitaire1

Yes I was. Channel 3 every Sunday Morning was where I got my weekly Popeye fix. In fact, I just watched a YouTube video about the history of Popeye video games. Something that surprised me is that Super Mario Brothers originated as the Popeye video game. When Nintendo couldn't get the rights to Popeye for a video game, they modified it into what became Super Mario Brothers. Later, when the got the rights, they released the Popeye video game at the Arcade.

Paul Gase and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I was obsessed with that Popeye show. The difference between the three production companies was very informative. From wildly inventive (and adlibbed) to cheaply drawn, childish cartoons in the course of 20 minutes rotation!

13. Solitaire1

I just rewatched the video I mentioned and realized I got something slightly wrong with the above. The Popeye video game was modified into what became Donkey Kong. That eventually led to Super Mario Brothers.

The following is the video I mentioned:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  14. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I hadn't seen that "Sugar Sugar" cartoon video in close to probably 40 years and can't believe how well I remembered it.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I've got 7 of those Archies cereal box records (there were two different series). They play at 331/3 and definitely not from the inside out. Sound like hell but fun to goof with once a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.