The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Do you perhaps mean Buffalo `89?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. :tiphat:
    No wonder most musicians are making less money from their music these days. Can you imagine what restaurants and supermarkets would do if you could eat anything you wanted for $12 a month ?

3. trd

trd Forum Resident

[​IMG]

budwhite, Jerfan13, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  4. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Man, I spend hundreds of dollars a month on cd’s and records, and during a normal year attend at least 15 concerts. The musicians I listen to get plenty of my money...

5. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Streaming is a superior business model for artists, isn’t that right @schnitzerphilip ?

6. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

It seems at least a little ironic that the implied ethics (or lack thereof) of streaming would be much of a topic in a Grateful Dead discussion, given that we all have legal, immediate, unlimited free access to almost every single show they ever played, the majority in various versions and qualities, some of which are superior and occasionally noticeably so to many of the official releases. And most of us take advantage of that. Also, I don’t think youtube pays artists very much...

7. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Jeez, I love the Dead cowboy Songs. They covered so many country Artists.....Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens , George Jones and the afore mentioned Marty Robbins to name a few. Sing me Back Home from Veneta 72 is one of their all time great performances IMHO. They did so many great covers....Dylan , Chuck Berry, Kristofferson ( less we forget he wrote Bobby McGee ) , Muddy , Howlin Wolf and covers of covers.....Good Lovin.
    In my mind they are the premier American Band. You can’t go wrong with the Dead from any period.
    Keep Truckin

8. I’m certainly not talking about the ethics of streaming or knocking it. I simply feel that artist should negotiate and get better % from their labels for their cuts. I also feel $12 a month for everything is too cheap to sustain what artists should get. Imho it should cost about twice that. $25 would not be unreasonable. That’s about two hours of a minimum wage earner

tobyd and ratstack like this.
  9. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

He had his tape deck strapped to his chest. You tell me. I’ll ask him. Go to the Archive and read Dean Grabski’s notes. Then go down his worm hole and listen to his recordings...for the rest of your life. I do.

Sony TCD 5M

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Billy_Sunday likes this.
  10. Jerfan13

Meh...it’s okay. It’s ‘71...I don’t too excited. Very tame, good timey band.

11. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

I think they said next weeks show is Buffalo 90.

Matthew Tate, Jerfan13 and lucan_g like this.
  12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

It's stupid... but I kind of think of streaming services like renting. Throwing money away every month and owning nothing at the end of it. I know that's a smart way to look at things, but that's how I feel about them. Can't bring myself to do it. I'm having a hard enough time convincing myself to sign up for Netflix...

13. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

That's exactly what they said.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

Same.

It has taken me 35 years to finally like the Dead. And now I can't stop listening.

15. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Fair enough, I can dig that. I do think they should get more per stream. That said, I often use Apple (and Amazon HD) to stream things I already own or at least once owned. Also I use it as a music discovery tool. I’ll go exploring, find an artist I like, and if I like what I hear I’ll buy their CDs and or records. A recent example for me, is Charlie Parr. I would have never heard of him without Apple’s recommendation. I listened to several of his songs, liked what I heard, then ordered four of his LPs from Amazon.

Also, to get wonky about it, I know this wouldn’t hold true for everyone, and I’m not sure what artists make on CD sales today, but traditionally they never pocketed much. Maybe like $.50 per cd. For a lifetime purchase. Apple averages $.00735 per stream, which sounds awful. But say I’m on a Pixies kick and I listen to all of their albums once in a month. They just made more than they would have had I bought one. Then I do the same next month, then double that the following month because I’m really on a deep kick. Then revisit through the years over and over... starts adding up.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    budwhite, Mazzy, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jerfan13

I just won’t accept the idea that a 5yr old band is better than 25yr old band. I know they wouldn’t. The beautimous part is they’re the best band every year I wanna listen.

17. Jerfan13

There’s not a sustainable market that would pay $25/mo. No way, no how. I’d pay $50 a year tops...and I’d split that with someone, assuming you could have 2 IP addresses. Think of all the other money shelled out for tv nowadays. A viable market will not swap video for audio that is already out there for free.

18. peskypesky

Minimum wage earners can't even pay their rent, much less spend $25/month on music.

Minimum wage doesn't cover the rent anywhere in the U.S.

Jerfan13, US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  19. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Just revisited 8/23/68 (Shrine Auditorium). This is a monster show. Every song here is just insane. Highlights includes The Other One, Dark Star, Alligator, The Eleven and St. Stephen. Jerry's playing throughout are incredible and Phil's bass is loud and powerful. One of the best shows of '68.

Earlier today I listened to 10/26/89 (Miami Arena). My fave late-era Dark Star is one of the highlights here. A superb Blow Away, Estimated Prophet, The Wheel, NFA and Stella Blue are other highlights. The band is just on throughout and the result is truly magical.

20. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Some different early lyrics on William Tell, if memory serves. I need to dust that one off soon.

Frosst, Matthew Tate and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

bzfgt and Erik B. like this.
  22. peskypesky

that's economics!

"Economics is the social science that studies the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services."

US Blues, Mazzy and Jerfan13 like this.
  23. You never bought 2 CDs or albums in one month ? Streaming is less even at $25

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. That’s economic. Not the same thing as politics

peskypesky likes this.
  25. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

But you should. :)