Ranking Marshall Tucker Band Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by QuestionMark?, May 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I have all the AJK discs already plus some Line CDs which are also decent, I was talking about the music quality for the first few on Ramblin'. But you are saying the later Warner are "spotty", I may try the first couple on Ramblin'.

QuestionMark? likes this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That’s George McCorkle kicking that song off, with his rhythm guitar , too

MYQ1 and QuestionMark? like this.
  3. pool_of_tears

The mastering on those Ramblin’ discs from the 90’s are fine. The Ramblin’ discs cover the 6 Warner albums from 79-83.

eelkiller likes this.
  4. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

One of the things thrown up in the past (probably still happening) at Australian bands/artists trying to get a foot in on the US market was that they were too Australian for that market.
    Isn't that the point ? To transport the listener to a different place.
    I know that people like to hear about thier own surrounds but don't most people like to travel.
    I've never been to Texas, Tennessee or Carolina but music like the MTB sure makes me yearn to go there.

5. ss nimrod

ss nimrod Forum Resident

I was also lucky to grow up at the time of Southern Rock. Marshal Tucker is one of my favorites, back in the day Marshal Tucker toured 300 days a year! Saw them (probably 20(?) times at many different venues here in the NYC metro area, they had a huge following here on Long Island, their Long Island Arena shows are legendary!

Its a shame the album "Live on Long Island" was recorded so poorly (I bought it anyway). We went to that show (recorded at the Nassau Coliseum). I'm telling you 40 years later that was one of the greatest concerts ever! They keep turning on all the house lights during the concert in an effort the calm the crowd down, it didn't work.
    The energy level at that show was measured high on the "Ricter scale".

Funny the things you remember, the broken guitar string during Cattle Drive, Doug Gray trying to constantly to calm the crowd down, 24 Hours at a Time was absolutely blistering, Toy Cadwell's vocals on Can't You See were heartbreaking, then Doug Gray invited 18,000 people down to Spartenburg to visit him and the band!

6. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL Thread Starter

It is hard for me now to understand how this band slipped off my radar after Carolina Dreams. Maybe it was because classic rock radio only had 3 songs in their playlist. Maybe it was because nobody ever talked about the Marshall Tucker Band. There was never any scandal ridden documentary that I ever saw, maybe one exists IDK. There isn't even any really good footage of the band live that I can find. I have over 7000 CDs and the only 2 in my collection were Greatest Hits & Anthology. It never occurred to me to pick up the individual LPs on disc. I have all the Allman Brothers and Atlanta Rhythm Section. Most of Wet Willie, Molly Hatchet, Charlie Daniels, Skynyrd. MTB is really underrated, underplayed and unappreciated. Am I the only one that feels like that? I'm glad I got to rediscover them. I feel like I added a whole new genre to my library.

Kingsley Fats and ss nimrod like this.
  7. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

I’m digging Running Like the Wind, especially the first side. Only recently first heard this but I did know the title track.

8. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Do you like the AJK or German Line cds for the titles where you have both? I have the German Line discs from Self Titled through Together Forever and think they sound very good. I replaced the AJK's I had with them years ago and don't quite remember why I liked them better. :o

eelkiller and QuestionMark? like this.
  9. pool_of_tears

Not poorly recorded, but poorly mixed. The 2cd set is a bit of a misnomer. That set is from April 18, 1980. They played a 2nd night on April 20. THAT show was the final show from the original band. The 2cd set is the penultimate show.

10. QuestionMark?

I picked up Live From The Garden State 1981 for a few bucks on eBay. I expected something lousy but was really happy with it! Good audio, good video, nice documentary. A nice surprise!

MYQ1, Glenn coates, ss nimrod and 2 others like this.
  11. QuestionMark?

I am still scouring the net to get all the CDs before I can rank them but it's going to be hard to beat Where We All Belong as my top pick.

12. eelkiller

Put me on the spot :) They are both excellent series, I would have to A/B them again.

QuestionMark? and Instant Karma like this.
  13. Instant Karma

Sorry about that. :D I ask purely for selfish reasons. MTB is one of my favorites and if I can find better sounding cds, I'll take the plunge. I trust your assessments as they seem to line up with my tastes in sound quality.

eelkiller, QuestionMark? and carlwm like this.
  14. QuestionMark?

I'm trying to do the same thing. Jon1969 on page one here seems to have it right as far as I have found. The AJK discs are sounding the best to my ears. I have not heard the German line ones but the AJK's are beter than the Shout/Ramblin' ones.

15. Instant Karma

Yes you are correct in my opinion. I have heard 1 or 2 of the Shout/Ramblin remastered cds and quickly got rid of them. Too harsh for my taste.

16. QuestionMark?

Leaving out the three hits, "Can't You See - Fire On The Mountain - Heard It In A Love Song" can you list your five favorite Marshall Tucker Band songs? Songs you wouldn't leave off an 80 minute compilation.

carlwm likes this.
  17. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

Here are my favorites from the albums I have.
    Take The Highway
    Losing You
    See You Later, I'm Gone
    A New Life
    Blue Ridge Mountain Sky
    You Ain't Foolin' Me
    Another Cruel Love
    24 Hours At A Time
    Fly Eagle Fly
    In My Own Way
    How Can I Slow Down
    Where A Country Boy Belongs
    Now She's Gone
    Searchin' For A Rainbow
    Bound And Determined
    Property Line
    You Say You Love Me
    You Don't Live Forever
    Fly Like An Eagle
    Desert Skies
    I'll Be Loving You
    Singing Rhymes
    Change Is Gonna Come
    Jimi
    Someone Special

18. eelkiller

I suggest grabbing one of the AJK discs and do the A/B and see what you think, I will grab the Line and AJK discs for one of the titles tonight and re-listen, I will send you a message. Fair? :)

Instant Karma and QuestionMark? like this.
  19. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

A New Life
    Love is a Mystery
    24 Hours at a Time
    Take the Highway
    My Jesus Told Me So

20. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

This is what I have and how I rank 'em

1. A New Life
    2. The Marshall Tucker Band
    3. Together Forever
    4. Where We All Belong
    5. Searchin' for a Rainbow
    6. Long Hard Ride
    7. Carolina Dreams

21. QuestionMark?

Pretty good choices! Gotta listen to Love Is A Mystery again.

Ernest T likes this.
  22. QuestionMark?

lol. Looks like a box set is in order!

carlwm likes this.
  23. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

You did say 80 minute compilation. I didn't add up the track timings but I suspect my choices may just be a tick over 80 min. ;) I did leave off some songs I really wanted to include. It was tough not listing them but I decided not to because I didn't want to get too carried away. :laugh:

24. QuestionMark?

Wow, I never would have thought that was only 80 minutes or so. They have so many long songs and not many short ones. I like your list though! Thanks! :righton:

25. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

dig that funky bass!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.