"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

I picked up an original UK pressing (Pye) in NM condition a couple of years ago for £2. Will have to give it a spin to remind me!

2. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

If you haven't heard this pressing, then I'm sure you'd be scratching your head. It's pretty damn good. I never heard the original... hell, I never heard OF this album before VMP. And I can't say I've ever seen it in shops, but I usually don't look for Erroll Garner records. And I think that's part of the point of VMP: to expose great records to audiences that may not be familiar with them.

But also... this is a part of a bigger reissue campaign for Octave Records, Garner's label after leaving Columbia. As far as I know, it's the only one issued on vinyl.

Announcing the Octave Remastered Series — Erroll Garner

recstar24, Juggsnelson and Dignan2000 like this.
  3. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

I gave my copy a first spin last night, too. And I agree, it's seriously great.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  4. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

It's always fun to see someone new to VMP Classics

5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I’m not new to it and I had the same reaction.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  6. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

Yeah, they have put out a lot of Classics titles that have been easy to find used copies of: Little Milton, Isley Bros, Otis Redding, Al Green, etc. But I have to admit that the sound quality on them blow any $5 VG found in the crates to pieces. The Isley Bros sold me on that. The Otis mono was outstanding. I didn't get Magician but I'm a big fan of Plagent Process.

7. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

The same could be said for Stevie Nicks too but this VMP pressing sounds great. Looks great too!

If you are enjoying The Magician then you can definitely pick up used copies of some of Garner's other albums very cheaply. When I first got into Jazz, this was a hot tip from a guy I knew who loved Garner. For some reason his records don't command insane prices for original copies. It is not for lack of quality music. I'm glad the VMP monthly selections are doing their job and opening folks up to stuff they never heard before. They have really been on a roll lately. Excellent presentations of the product all around: Sound, Jacket, booklet, color variations.....very impressed as of late with VMP.

recstar24 and ad180 like this.
  8. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Yeah that Otis sounds killer!! Nice listening booklet with it too.

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i thought the same thing at first, but decided a well-pressed new mastering might be worth a shot. no regrets now.

10. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Looks like the White Stripes album is going to be delayed and they are giving ahead of schedule swaps for it. I am just going to wait as its the only White Stripes album I don't have.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Heard back from VMP, they state Bellman recut the laquers for all of the titles in this release from the original analog masters

unravelled, jgrillo, japhyman and 2 others like this.
  12. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Anyone have an Otis Redding for sale? Missed it. Hope they repress.

13. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Wouldn’t worry too much, prices are already coming down on discogs. Loads of the vmp records are flipped, have a little patience and you can get one for a fair price. Certainly in the US.

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

My Errol Garner appears to be stuck in the media mail time loop :( was sent out May 7th, last tracking update is from May 11 “in transit to next destination”. This will be the 3rd media mail shipment in the last month that’s taken closer to 3 weeks or more, but I’m grateful that they’re still going despite all of the craziness.

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

That is popular title. I would say it’s a strong contender for repress. Just like the Aretha and Al Green titles were in panic mode for people, so is Otis. Don’t freak (I’ve done it too), steady out and I bet you’ll find it will come around.

recstar24 and Dignan2000 like this.
  16. dusttones

dusttones Forum Resident

James Bennett likes this.
  17. capesq

capesq Well-Known Member

Erroll Garner’s Magician is now back in stock for those still looking for it. It seems like the site has crashed once again upon the month’s new albums and swaps becoming available, however.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

For every cool classic LP they do, they can sure pick some odd ones in between.

19. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I somehow made it through my first set of swaps unscathed...:whistle:

20. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I will buy any Stax title VMP releases, so I'm down with King, Does King's Things.

I swapped The Magician last month so I added a track and picked it up in Swaps this month.

Dignan2000 and Juggsnelson like this.
  21. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I'm happy they are letting you swap (at the moment) for store credit if you don't find anything else you want.

22. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

It sounds pretty cool to me...did you listen to it?

Juggsnelson likes this.
  23. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Juggsnelson and Jackstraw78 like this.
  24. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

On Tidal too ...

25. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I checked out the Kings Things on youtube and it like it! I wish VMP would re-do Born Under a Bad Sign mono. The reviews from the RSD mono didn't aren't the best. I'm sure VMP could do better.

Gavaxeman and Juggsnelson like this.