Poll--The Weakest Link: AC/DC DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP, Round 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes Thread Starter

There Won't be No Rockin' tonight (since the concert halls are closed), and Big Balls came up short inbetween. We're going to vote off one the rest of the way. Vote your next weakest link.

Discussion question: When did you last listen to Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, and has your opinion changed over time?

Crabs..................

Big Balls (Round 1)
    There's Gonna Be Some Rockin' (Round 1)

----------------
    Normally for a holiday, I leave a round open for two days because people go out and don't want to sit in front of a computer. Since this coming Monday (Memorial Day) is different because of the "current circumstances," I might leave tomorrow's round open two days, or might make Monday a regular round. Unsure what participation will be like.

Any thoughts?

blutiga likes this.
  2. County50

County50 Forum Resident

After this round, it will start getting hard to pick songs, rest of album is strong. Still listen to all the Bon Scott records.

I picked Ain’t No Fun

3. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Love at first feel is one I can do without.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Love At First Feel. Everything after that is impossible.

5. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Voted again for "Ain't No Fun" (same reasoning as before). Can't remember exactly when I played Dirty Deeds most recently, but it couldn't have been more than a few weeks ago, which I think just goes to show that I still enjoy this album very much indeed.

Kinda sorry to see "Big Balls" go; sure it's puerile, but that's really part of the fun for me. True story about that song: I was in a mall-type record store once a long time ago (late 80's or early 90's I think) and they were playing the international version of Dirty Deeds over the loud speakers, but actually stopped when it got to "Big Balls"; noticing this, I mentioned it when I got to the counter, and the clerk sort of nodded and gave me a wry, knowing smile such that I knew they were probably having to comply with "family friendly" rules or something like that. While I didn't actually purchase Dirty Deeds that day, it wasn't too long after this experience that I finally did. :D

In other words, when I listen to AC/DC today, I can "let my hair down and relax" so to speak. :cool:

drift and blutiga like this.
  6. Elmer McMuffin

Elmer McMuffin Forum Resident

Glad to see Squealer doing a little better - that song IS Bon-era DC for me. Sleazy, groovy, potent and packing a perfect stutter-start brooding Angus solo.

agentalbert and blutiga like this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Squealer - A nice solo but not a good enough hook.

I haven't listened to the entire album in a while. It's a bit on the weak side compared to some of their other albums. The international version of the album deleted the wrong songs. Even though Problem Child is a good song, I don't get the point of repeating it on the international version as it had already appeared on the international version of Let There Be Rock.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Ride On

I have never been able to even finish this song, it is so bad.

It has probably been a month or two since I listened to the album, but I have always loved it.

I wish there was a version with Love At First Feel and Jailbreak.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Came down to Love at First Feel or Rocker for me this round. I like both, but voted for LAFF.

10. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

There was a lol post about Big Balls on an old thread here somewhere from an ex-late night DJ who took an early morning call asking for a request to play the song :D

skisdlimit likes this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

And Malcom's (I think) backing vocals, the way he says "squee-lah"! Sounds just as dirty and sleazy as the rest of the song. I love it!

12. Elmer McMuffin

He was great at those - see also DDDDC.

blutiga likes this.
  13. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Yup.

blutiga likes this.
  14. drift

drift Forum Resident

"Ride On" is a Top 5 AC/DC song of any era for me. :)

I last listened to DDDDC just a couple weeks ago. I've always considered it a very good album. I guess the only thing that's changed is nowadays I prefer different songs on them.

15. Elmer McMuffin

Surprised at the love for Rocker. Is it really all that?! The very definition of unchallenging, nod to our influences, Quo-on-speed for me. Squealer, Ride On and Problem Child are masterpieces by comparison.

16. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

And to leave off AC/DC's greatest song in Jailbreak from the international edition was and is uncontainable.

"There was a friend of mine on murder..."

inglorious and blutiga like this.
  17. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Squealer - nothing wrong with it I just like everything else better.

I don't know when I heard it last but my opinion hasn't changed. I've always loved this album.

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Love at first feel easily

It is interesting that Ain't No Fun has seemingly so many detractors. I know it is long, and I suppose it doesn't fo much, but I have as always loved it.

I last listened to Dirty Deeds in the car on the way home from work, after I finally paid too much for a real Aussie copy of the album. When I found myself needing to replace my Acdc albums, I ended up being stuck with the US/international versions, and they are fine, but just not the albums I grew up on... so now I have both varieties.

I imagine we can keep rolling in spite of the public holiday, but I don't know anyone else's plans :)

blutiga and maui jim like this.
  19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Voted for "Squealer" again.

It's a long time since I listened to this, in any version, I played this so much as a kid that I seldom get the urge nowadays, there is so much else to discover. I guess my opinion of it hasn't changed that much, I probably think a little less of it now than I did back in the day, I loved all the Bon Scott albums but this this was never my favourite, I think it has too many joke songs on it.

The international (not US) version of Dirty Deeds was released 17 December 1976 while the version of Let There Be Rock with "Problem Child" came out 25 July 1977, so that is where it was repeated. Removing it for the US release would have created a third variation, not sure that would have made things better...

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

@99thfloor I meant the U.S. version because the track was repeated in the U.S. for me. Why delete tracks we didn't already have and replace them with ones that we already had? It seems like a rip off to repeat songs. There were a lot of leftover tracks we didn't have in the U.S. yet which they could have used some of which were used later on the weird '74 Jailbreak release here. We didn't get the U.S. release of Dirty Deeds until 1981 which was strange because Back in Black had already been released the previous year with Brian Johnson and then the next release here had Bon Scott again. Later in the year For Those About To Rock was released with Brian Johnson again.

21. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

“Love At First Feel”.

DQ: Yesterday. Still love it, still a great album, but really, we’re talking Bon era AC/DC.

drift and blutiga like this.
  22. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

Millionaire. Last listened to DDDDC this year, when I picked up an original Australian CD to replace the remaster (an ongoing process).

blutiga likes this.
  23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, I understand all that, but the LP you got in the US had already been released just like that all over the world (hence "international version") years earlier, the track listings weren't just created with the US in mind you know. The problem here is the US label held back the album, if they hadn't it might have made a bit more sense (if it had come out the alternate Let There Be Rock version, which is the one only made for the US, wouldn't have been created, it is really that one which is the problem here). If you are saying they should have created yet a third version for the US then that's another thing, but I think they didn't put too much thought into it at that point because as you say the release was so much after the fact.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I don't think they put much thought into any of it really but I think there should have been a different version in the U.S. even if they just added Jailbreak or R.I.P. (Rock In Peace) back in we would have at least gotten a track we didn't already have. Don't even get me started on the '74 Jailbreak E.P which was released a few years later which should have been a full length album which added in more of the missing tracks like R.I.P (Rock In Peace), Cold Hearted Man, Crabsody In Blue, School Days, Carry Me Home, Stick Around and Love Song.

blutiga and Elmer McMuffin like this.
  25. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Rocker.

The last time I listened to this was earlier today, the first time in decades. It brought back some memories for sure and I actually remembered most of the lyrics. It really is a solid album.

Making Monday a regular round would be fine, imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.