What would your next move be for upgrades?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by boyhitscar, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boyhitscar

boyhitscar Well-Known Member Thread Starter

hoping to get some opinions on what my best next move is, i.e. what will give me the best bang for my buck on a part of my system to upgrade. it sounds great as is but i’m just curious what the next step(s) may look like. i’ll happily just enjoy the sound and put the money towards moar records but i’m curious if anyone thinks there are blatant gaps... or just an easy noticeable upgrade..

• SL-1200 mk7, no upgrades, stock RCA cable, nagaoka mp-150 cart
    • schiit mani
    • iphone X streaming Qobuz into schiit modi 3 via camera connector kit
    • i also run my Apple TV 4k into the Modi 3, optical input. so this system plays a lot of TV and movies.
    • RCA cables into amp are these: FosPower (2 Pack) 2 RCA M/M Stereo Audio Cable [24K Gold Plated | Copper Core] 2RCA Male to 2RCA Male [Left / Right] Premium Sound Quality Plug - 3FT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBVMJOV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Tc0XEbN94KZ6C
    • amp (receiver, technically): Yamaha RX-V471 - only purpose is two RCA inputs, headphone output, volume control (with remote - important!)
    • standard home depot 16g speaker wire
    • klipsch heresy 1s (recently replaced caps)
    • power sources - because apparently these can matter - everything is plugged into cheap power strips (CPS’s), maybe even a CPS plugged into another CPS
    • records are cleaned w a spin clean (yes even brand new ones!)
    • i live in queens and have neighbors right under me so i listen at pretty low/moderate volumes. although i’m sure they still hate me. i plug my beyerdynamic DT-770 studio cans into the yamaha sometimes if i want to crank.
    • i listen mostly to indie rock, electronic, acoustic, and jazz

what would your next move be?

appreciate it

2. nwdavis1

nwdavis1 Forum Resident

Power conditioners only matter if you have dirty power. I bought mine when I lived in a 110 year old apartment building. I could hear the static from the speakers with no music playing from 8 feet away. The power conditioner fixed that.

16awg is a bit thin for speaker wires. Can your terminals support 12?

boyhitscar likes this.
  3. boyhitscar

ya i just put new terminals on the speakers. 12 gauge shouldn’t be a problem. any particular wire you’d recommend?

Rick58 likes this.
  4. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

I would say your Yamaha AVR is probably the weak link. From the looks of your equipment list, you’re doing 2 channel only, even for TV/movies, so I’d replace the multi channel AVR with a nice 2-channel integrated. Maybe something like a Yamaha A-S801.

quicksrt, Rick58, Drew769 and 5 others like this.
  5. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Upgrade the Mani and get a power conditioner, there is no clean power in NYC buildings

George P, head_unit and boyhitscar like this.
  6. boyhitscar

7. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

probably a better phonostage

mkane and boyhitscar like this.
  8. Helom

Helom Forum member

Replace the phono stage, cartridge or AVR.

bever70 and boyhitscar like this.
  9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

peskypesky and bever70 like this.
  10. Benzion

11. boyhitscar

@murphythecat @Helom

next cart would probably be mp-500, that up to snuff? any phono pre recs for that one?

bever70 likes this.
  12. Benzion

DigMyGroove and boyhitscar like this.
  13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Oh that opens such a can of worms. For short runs, physics says it is doubtful you would hear a difference, so if you get anything fancy be sure it is returnable if you don't. I like Speaker Cable at Blue Jeans Cable because I'm an engineer and I like how that brand makes straightforward explanations without all the baloney that often accompanies expensive brands.

14. Helom

Helom Forum member

Really depends on your budget but I suspect the Parasound ZPhono XRM would be a good affordable upgrade over the Mani. The Ortofon 2M Bronze would be a substantial cartridge upgrade.

As for amplification, you'll be gobsmacked if you replace that AVR with a pre-owned tube integrated like the Cayin A50-T.

Rick58 and boyhitscar like this.
  15. boyhitscar

what about a marantz pm5005 - think that would make a noticeable difference over my yamaha AVR? would A/B test the built-in phono stage vs Mani and very likely keep the Modi involved.

Rick58 likes this.
  16. What is the size of your room?
    Where are your speakers positioned?
    Can you move them?
    Is there anything in between the speakers?
    How far are you from them?
    What is your floor and walls constructions?

These are all questions that pertain to the Acoustics of your Listening Room. Room/Speaker interaction is the most important variable in your system (IMO). If you can change things up a bit, and add some room treatments (Absorption/Diffraction/Corner treatments), those can be the biggest bang for your buck.

17. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Send me the $$ to build you a phono stage that will rival anything under 4k.

boyhitscar likes this.
  18. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Agree...a good integrated could really make a huge difference and you can do it without breaking the bank.

bever70, Rick58 and boyhitscar like this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, the A-S801 is a helluva amp. Very happy with mine.

Rick58 and boyhitscar like this.
  20. boyhitscar

@Drew769 @George P would you consider the marantz pm5005 to be a significant upgrade over my yamaha AVR? or is the A-S801 that much better (really worth the $) ?

21. mds

mds Forum Resident

Very satisfied with my equipment so a new home with a larger dedicated room with perfectly proportioned dimensions. I however realize this may then require upgrading my amplifiers due to the fantasized room size, extra large with an extra high ceiling.

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

A new electrical circuit for the patio. Otherwise, how'm I gonna power the hot tub...:p

I mean, I already got two bluetooth speakers for the tablet, so, whadda I need fancy music fer...

23. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Integrated Amplifiers, Integrated Stereo Amps (Crutchfield link with filters) Not that I know anything, but I've owned an older Denon and now a better/newer Marantz AVR (from a couple years ago), and an old Yamaha integrated amp (A-700 from 1984).

I have read that the new Yamaha integrateds are much better sounding than the old ones, and the A-1000 (A-700's bigger brother) was a 'Recommended Component' in Stereophile at the time. I thought it sounded good, it had excellent lateral imaging, sonics were good, but when I borrowed a friend's 1965 vintage Dynaco SCA-35 tube integrated ... no contest! Much more musical, sounded like real musicians playing together, and the soundstage had some depth and space (which I realized the A-700 lacked totally). The SCA-35 became my main amp, I upgraded/modified it for 12 years or something, with the A-700 driving my passive subwoofer.

Anyway, probably all of these new integrateds will sound better than an inexpensive AVR. Not to say what you have isn't "OK" but ... your AVR was inexpensive and has many more bells and whistles than you're using. Well, it seems to be a good one for the money ($400?) at the time Yamaha RX-V471 review | TechRadar ... but still, getting a dedicated 2 channel integrated amp SHOULD yield better sonics.

PS/Edit: I don't know if the new Yamahas follow the old ones sonically ... but the one I had seemed neutral and highly detailed, the Denon/Marantz MAYBE are one step towards the mellower side ... ???? I'd like to read about direct comparisons between new Yamaha and Denon/Marantz integrateds ... if there are any.

GUESSING again, that if you're willing to go to $600-$1000 you'll get WAY better sonics, and that would support upgrades in other areas. Yes, better cables can make a difference, but not sure if 12 gauge zip cord would sound any better than what you have. I found in going to Analysis Plus Oval 9 there was a very pronounced improvement over other cables I've tried, including of course zip cord, homemade braided cables made from multiple Cat 6 network cables, then AudioQuest Slate biwire ($250 list, I paid $125 closeout). Going to the $400/pair Oval 9s (10 years ago) was a revelation. I don't think after getting a $600-$1000 integrated that spending say $300 on something like Cardas or Analysis Plus speaker cables would be out of the question (sonically). Maybe AP Oval 12? depending on length these can be found for <$300/pair. For example: Analysis Plus Black Oval 12 Speaker Cable (Pair) – The Cable Company

Be sure and set up things properly ... speakers at least a bit away from the back wall (ideally I'd say 3' or more); set up in equilateral triangle, maybe a little closer together than distance to your ears, but have the speakers as symmetrical as possible with your head in between, etc.. Good luck! and happy listening.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    boyhitscar likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

I don't have any experience with Marantz amps, but I see that the Marantz you mention has 40 watts per channel.

The Yamaha AS801 has 100 watts per channel and has a Sabre DAC built inside.

Now, if you don't care about the DAC and want to save money, you could get the Yamaha A-S501 for $49 more than the Marantz. It has 85 watts per channel.

And in case you didn't know, more watts means better sound at all volume levels.

bever70 likes this.
  25. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Curious to hear your comments on 6moons audioreviews: Yamaha AS-801 (this page he talks about Pure Direct mode ... driving Apogee RIBBONS fer cryin' out loud! which are tough loads on any amp). Sounds like it does a good job with depth/space but not as expansive/precise as his main rig, which likely costs 10x more (or more). I guess Yamaha has improved greatly on this aspect of things since my A-700.

PS/Edit: Not that I know it all but I disagree with your comment above ... "in case you didn't know, more watts means better sound at all volume levels". I may not understand the comment though, but I definitely disagree that the PM5005 would 'automatically' sound worse than the A-S501 at anything other than jet engine levels into particular speakers.

PPS/Edit: I see YAMAHA A-S801 2-Ch x 100 Watts Integrated Amplifier w/ Built-in DAC Black which seems like a great deal if you want to get the A-S801 ... I haven't used accessories4less but they seem to be a reputable dealer, I HAVE gotten refurbed and scratch/dent gear thru other sources (Audio Advisor and Crutchfield) and have never been disappointed.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    boyhitscar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.