The Sinner. Any fans?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

A thread for this show is long overdue. The first season is excellent. Jessica Biel plays a woman who impulsively kills a man for seemingly no reason whatsoever. Bill Pullman plays the detective who can't let this apparent open and shut case go until he gets to the bottom of why Biel's character committed this murder. Wonderful performances all around in an eight-episode mystery unlike any I've seen before.

The second season started a couple of weeks ago.

It currently stands an 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. This is a show that deserves to be watched and discussed. It's streaming on Netflix. Give it a shot if you haven't already.

2. dude

dude Senior Member

I watched the first season and am currently watching the second . These are the type of cable series I'm drawn to lately. Wish there were more.
    This one is pretty good.

Encuentro likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I enjoyed season 1 mainly for Jessica Biel and Bill Pullman. It wasn't without its faults, but overall it was well worth watching just for the performances and some really compelling scenes.

As for S2, I've only seen the first ep so far and it hooked me right away. An intriguing premise and a creepy as hell kid at the center. I'll catch ep 2 soon...

Juggsnelson and Encuentro like this.
  4. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Terrific start to season two. Much better than the initial offering. So far, so good. Not crazy about Bill
    Pullman's character, however.....he just seems a little too......reticent.

5. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

Gonna be tough to match season one, but if it comes close, that'll be good enough.

Encuentro likes this.
  6. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

I loved the first series. Thought it was fantastic. My kind of thing!! The second series is not due out until later in the year in the UK.

7. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Season 2 has been great so far. I thought season 1 suffered from some terrible acting.

8. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Didn’t even know there was going to be a second series, so this is a pleasant surprise.

9. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Watched the first 2 episodes of season 2 last night. Really good. Much faster moving that the first series. Something I just love about this show. It really grips me!!

10. Etienne Hanratty

First episode was intriguing, second episode seemed to have settled into ‘enjoyable in spite of itself’ territory. Cults/communes rarely make for good tv.

11. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I've lived in a couple of communes...great for drama at least.

Juggsnelson and Etienne Hanratty like this.
  12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

I enjoyed the second season, but season one is much better, in my humble opinion.

Beer Milk Shake likes this.
  13. Etienne Hanratty

Finished season 2. Still not entirely sure what the killers motives were and don’t know if that’s because the writers wanted to let the viewers form their own opinion of if they couldn’t be bothered with writing an exposition scene.
    On the other hand, an budding thespian wanting see real acting should be strapped in the Clockwork Orange chair and made to watch Carrie Coon’s scenes.

Beer Milk Shake likes this.
  14. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

She's also great in another left-much-to-be-desired, Fargo Season 3.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  15. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

If Carrie Coon is in this show then I’ll be watching it

16. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Binged S1. I remember the promos for this back before it first aired. The younger sister was the most interesting character outside of Cora. There were some major changes made in the series vs. the book:

- the book has no Maddie.
    - the book has no dominatrix (that subplot took up way too much screen time).
    - the father was an ex-Nazi who hired prostitutes rather than having an affair with the neighbor.
    - the mother had an out-of-wedlock pregnancy and self-aborted, leading to her demanding an ascetic lifestyle for herself and the girls. The showrunner didn't want to show a negative consequence of an abortion I guess.
    - Cora's captor didn't wear a mask, but he's the one who planted the "got pregnant and jumped in front of a car" story in Cora's mind.
    - there's an equally-implausible scenario to explain what the parents did/didn't do about the sister.

17. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Almost done with Season 2. I really liked Season 1 A lot and so far, Season 2 has matched it. I dig creepy cult stuff. Just read there a Season 3 in the works.

18. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Watched S1:E1 tonight.
    Not sure what to think.
    Will definitely keep watching

19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Watching season 3 now. Never watched the first 2 seasons. This is a damn good mystery series.

smilin ed likes this.
  20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Really enjoyed both seasons. Up there with Cardinal, though somewhat kinkier.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I love Cardinal.

I haven’t seen a show in a long time as twisted at the psychological level as S3. Reminds me of The Fall.

22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Yeah, I thought series 3 was the best - though I've yet to see the final series, which starts next week. I wish someone could persuade them to make a 5th.

23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The Fall was great, I need to check out this Cardinal show.

Liked Season 1 of the Sinner.
    Season 2 a little bit less so because something about that kid creeped me out, and I thought the story seemed unfocused.
    But I’m a big fan of Carrie Coon so that saved it for me.
    Hopefully Season 3 shows up on Netflix eventually

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

If you have Amazon Prime video you can do a free 30day trial of Stack TV to watch Season 3.

25. I felt the third season was best