My thoughts on Harbeth C7ES3 vs SH5+.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I don’t have problems with bass really. It’s more mids that can get harsh on some records if I play a bit louder. Room problem most likely but my thought is if I would chose say 30.1 which I know have a more laidback mid then it would fit the room better. Might have to try it out. I have side panels today but not behind speakers or me. Maybe adding panels here would cool down the peaks a bit.

2. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Yes, it's in the upper-mids, around 1-2k. Also I suspect tweeter break-up or interference with the super-tweeter has some perceptible effect, depending on acuity.

3. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I've heard the 5's in a room bigger than this [longer] and that speaker does not get close to working near it best! Treat the room, for what little it'll do penny for penny but that size room will be idea for the P3's or the 30 series.

4. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

"Don't over-complicate it."
    Excellent audio advice.

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

speculating on subwoofers for my shl5+
    anyone care to take a stab ?

6. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

It's going to have to fast and tight.Read somewhere the REL subs are a good match.

7. Glmoneydawg

Stereophile measurements show the shl5+ down about 3db at 30hz...I'm measuring similar in room response here.....you must be a pipe organ fan lol;)Doctor Fine is likely to have good ideas on subwoofing Harbys.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  8. avanti1960

in my room they start rolling off gradually at 125 Hz or so and are down 15 db at 30 Hz for some reason- this from a phone app. i cant use my RTA software because the microphone needs to be calibrated and the new laptop only has one jack that is multi purpose depending on setting- so i can'd connect the in to the out to get a calibration sweep.

9. Glmoneydawg

Not sure about the phone app,but cheap spl meters are unreliable below 100hz

10. avanti1960

using this one - the mic on my phone records excellent audio though. bass sounds much better than measured but i miss my old JL audio sub that sounded warm and supreme with my old Harbeth C7ES3.
    ‎Audio Spectrum Analyzer dB RTA

11. Glmoneydawg

My previous speakers had built in powered subs with equalization pretty much flat in room to 20hz....i have very little music where it's a noticeable change.Having said that....I'm watching...lets see how you make out here bud:)

12. Merkinman

Merkinman Well-Known Member

I have the JL F113 with the Supers and it's a great match.

avanti1960 likes this.
  13. LARGERTHAN

FWIW, have decided to go for some new 30.2's instead of my 5 plus owing to room size and associated modes. Just felt the 5's were hamstrung in their current location, and painfully decided - what's the point if they're not doing what they're capable of doing...

Will update more when the 30's arrive.

timind, Fruff76, Echoes Myron and 3 others like this.
  14. Gordon Johnson

Always been my sentiment, why shoehorn an oversize speaker in a room that is more suitable for something smaller?

Even with room treatment it makes no sense as the speaker can never fully shine.

Room / speaker / amp. Match that and life is darn near perfect :)

The 30's series is not to everyones taste but I love them, good luck with yours.

timind and ogdens_sliced like this.
  15. LARGERTHAN

@Gordon Johnson Yes, agree with your sentiments. I used a D-speaker Antimode as well as Mini-DSP/DIRAC prior to that to tame the worst offenders, but I feel some transparency or qualities are lost elsewhere in the spectrum - no such thing as a free lunch, it seems.

I'd also actually query if ameliorating modes impacts negatively upon lossy cabinet construction - as in, it takes away from something intrinsic to their presentation. I do wonder if more inert cabinets are better suited to EQ, just some conjecture...

For the most part, I still think the 5 Plus is a great speaker. As ever with transducers, it's something of most tolerable compromises one can abide by and live with, and the 5 Plus certainly had far more good than bad for me.

timind and Echoes Myron like this.
  16. avanti1960

the 5's are very particular about placement. i hope you like the 30.2s. !

Echoes Myron and LARGERTHAN like this.
  17. Gordon Johnson

All of the Harbeth range are smashing speakers but simply work better in a suitable sized room. The 5's are a brilliant HiFi speaker. I really wanted a pair but they never worked in my space.

Speaker build and design, well that gets a little more personal in what we play and how we like what we listen to replayed to us. But the same applies in matching room and amp'. All good fun in finding "that" speaker in our own space.

LARGERTHAN likes this.
  18. Merkinman

I notice the same issue with my Pluses. I have pretty much ideal placement in a nicely treated room. The Pluses are probably the least forgiving Harbeths and I'm especially sensitive to sibilance. I don't find them bright or fatiguing, but the sibilance just distracts from full enjoyment. I've wondered if the 40th anniversary Supers were more forgiving?

19. Merkinman

I noticed you've heard the Supers 40th anniversary. Do you think they would be more forgiving of bad recordings? Love the Supers, but they can highlight sibilance. It doesn't help that I tend to notice that more than most.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  20. avanti1960

yes, they are more forgiving than the standard 5+s because they are slightly warmer and less transparent. proper positioning of the 5+ (height, toe in) have made it a non issue for me.

Merkinman likes this.
  21. Merkinman

It's ironic that that speaker is now part of the XD version, which I think is extra definition.

22. Melody50

Melody50 Forum Resident

Had C7, last year sold it, good speaker with good power to get best out of them. In my new rented house they sounded bloated and boomy.
    Room has big influence on the sound. In my set up they were darker and richer(previous rented house), when I delivered to the buyer, he hooked with Mclintosh pre-power set up, wow......then C7 start showing their true colors, by then it was too late for me revert my decision.

That day I understood, that Room and electronics influence can't be ignored..

23. LARGERTHAN

Are the XD exactly the same, though? I think AS says they have some minor revisions, IIRC.

Oddly, the 5 Plus anniversary has been seen with and without port damping - clearly there was two iterations, for whatever reason.

24. Merkinman

I don't find them to be bright at all. I run them with a PrimaLuna Integrated and they sound fantastic. It's crazy that these can rock out with just 50W of tube power. No limits really. Just wish I could get rid of the last little bit of sibilance on some recordings. Guess you can't have it all.

25. avanti1960

which source has the sibilance ? or all of them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.