So there's absolutely no way to play a CD in a new car without a phone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Panda, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Don't see any reason why not, unless you car requires pairing to be between matched codes. (My merc does with my phone but I think it is the phone driving that requirement not the car.)

Simple solution.
    Buy it.
    Try it.
    If it doesn't work, send it straight back.

2. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

Fair warning, I bought a similar portable CD player and the sound was absolute garbage. It's Memorex branded but looks like the exact same model.

[​IMG]

SunSon likes this.
  3. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

No, it's quite obviously a fact, CDs are a carrier of digital 0's and 1's. There's no way you don't know this.

If you're desperate to hang on to tech that's doomed to obsolescence, it's no skin off my nose but facts are facts. Come on now.

Ed

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Every tech is doomed to obsolescence sooner or later.

Nostaljack likes this.
  5. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

So far so good for phonograph records, for a late 1800's invention it still sounds good today in it's third century.;)

mikedifr0923 and SCM like this.
  6. SCM

SCM Senior Member

Well...I`ve been copying some new albums today to CD.
    Then I downloaded the CD`s to ALAC files to store on my iphone.
    Some of this technology is unreal.
    How in the world can a burned CD copy of a vinyl record display the album cover art in Windows Media Player ??
    I mean its a blank CD with no encoding ?

7. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I mean...

Ed

8. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

You forgot one of the zeros.

SCM likes this.
  9. shokhead

Still? As compared to 1900? Reality is they dam near disappeared and have made a slight come back but away from this board, almost nobody has them. BTW, a real b$tch to play in your car but I have seen players.

10. CX2000

CX2000 Well-Known Member

csgreene said:
    I drive a 2002 Lexus LX470 (bought used in 2009). The Mark Levinson system has a cassette player, a CD changer, and no inputs (3.5 or USB. Installing those would be a nightmare in this integrated console/screen system so I have made do for the past 4 years with a Flexsmart BT/FM transmitter. To say that it works fair is a complement. It picks up interference and so have the other FM transmitters I've tried. A shame as the system sounds pretty good and the vehicle only has 124k miles on it. I have no intention of replacing the LX as it is such a solid 4x4 which I like having here in Idaho. I've not been able to come up with a solution to being able to use my phone as a source that's truly satisfying due to this audible interference at volume. A local installer told me it was the nature of the beast.

To csgreene: A couple of years ago, I had a 3rd party Bluetooth accessory installed in my 2003 Land Cruiser. Works great and I can listen to my playlists and when an incoming call comes in, the music pauses and the phone rings (for hands free calls). Wasn’t cheap. Something like $350 and $75 for installation.

I decided that I’d be nice to my wife and implement the same for her 2001 LX470. I ended up buying the accessory online for $250 and installed it myself. Now she can listen to music on her ML sound system.

To Doug: In looking for csgreene’s post to reply to (never found it), I happened to see some of your exchanges with him. My first real car was a 1965 GTO also. And the ML system is great as you know. Just as this Coronavirus thing was taking off, I upgraded to a recent model LX570 with the ML system. Felt guilty so I replaced my wife’s LX470 with a late model GX460, with ML sound too, of course :)

Cheers,
    John

11. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I looked into those BT accessories awhile ago but didn't want to pay the price and didn't feel comfortable with the installation myself. I muddle along with the very so-so Flexsmart FM adapter. Some days it works better than others.

12. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I had to pair my phone but only once and that involved typing a passcode on the phone and a person can't do that with a portable CD player.
    You answered my question. [​IMG]

13. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Probably not because as I said originally, Ian pretty sure that it is the car not the phone that drives (pun intended) the need for the passcode.

14. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

It'll sink in.

"There's this guy walking into all of the dealerships raving on about CD players in cars."

As you leave the final dealership there'll be some men in white coats waiting to take you away (ha ha!).

15. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Nice about the GTO.

I'm getting a lot closer to the new car and the LX-570 with the Sport Package is looking like the one so far. The front end looks a whole lot better to me than the standard front.

16. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Not all car players will play all formats. Make a test USB first.

Rip a each song on an album to a different format and plug the USB into your car drive. Whatever songs it reads, those are the formats your car player can read. My car can only play back WMA MP3 or WAV, so the best I can do is WMA Lossless.

shokhead likes this.
  17. shokhead

Boy, great May incentives

18. shokhead

Good idea!

19. CX2000

CX2000 Well-Known Member

Nice ride. Capable too (off road). And I believe it has a single CD player too.

The ‘16 through ‘20 all look alike and I agree, the front end looks a whole lot better. Plus it will also set it apart, visually, from the earlier years. I couldn’t afford new so I “ended up” with a 2018. And the Mark Levinson audio sounds awesome. No complaints :)

20. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I just bought a Kia Telluride SX with a 10 speaker 'surround sound' system. Not only does it not have a CD player it also doesn't have an Aux. in option to play music from my DAP.

So now I'm pretty much forced to get a Spotify Premium (or the like) account. This actually worries me, as I'm afraid I may really like it, making my sizable CD collection obsolete.

21. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I do not understand why people are afraid to rip their CD's to a hard drive, My 2000+ CD collection is all digitized, I throw a few thousand songs on a 256gb usb thumb drive, plug it into the usb port on my 2014 Impala, put it on shuffle and I am set, approximately 6000 songs at my finger tips. I have also used a 128gb iPod Touch in the car, also works great. My car has a CD player, I have never used it once in six years.

plastico and mikedifr0923 like this.
  22. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I already have my CD collection ripped to FLAC. I use a Fiio X5 to play the files for portable playback. In my current and previous vehicles, I've used the Fiio and Auxillary in to play music. I was lamenting that the Kia has no Aux. in. I've to look to see if playing files via USB is an option as that would solve my problems. I don't recall seeing a USB in though. I don't take delivery for a few weeks yet.

23. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

If your car has a tape player, why wouldn't you just use a headphone to tape adapter?

24. rpd

rpd Senior Member

It’s pretty easy, actually

25. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Just about every car built in the last 5 years will play files via usb, should not be an issue.

weekendtoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.