Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Watching Knebworth with headphones. What an insanely incredible show! Wow, this might be the highlight for me. Sound quality is stellar and lighting issues aside the wind/rain really adds to the overall beauty of the performance. Great version of Great Gig In The Sky!

2. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Knebworth IMO is the hidden gem in this release except for the worst edit ever in the CN solo. But the overall performance is excellent Nick was on fire that night the whole band was in the zone. Money may be the best version of it from this era and how they should of done the edit on the DSOT footage.

3. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Yes, I easily noticed that Comfortably Numb seemed super short and unfortunately the edit is fairly obvious. That’s a head scratcher. I’m reading a lot of critical reviews of the Great Gig which is surprising to me as I actually find it to be one of the better takes. I love the camera work and closeups in Knebworth with water on all of the instruments, band soaking wet. Pretty amazing performance!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I believe that Claire's vocal performance was "fixed" for this release. Its pretty bad on the original recording.

5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Well it’s funny, I don’t pay attention to exactly who is performing in the large post 1985 bands as there’s so many different players. I realized after reading more that she was the original singer on DSOTM and that’s why I like this version as it sounded close to the original. Maybe it was “too fixed” but I liked it. The video seems to match well well the audio so they did a good job editing.

Azza200, coffeetime and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Pulse is hands down the winner in this set for me. The picture and sound quality are jaw dropping. I own the DVD version as well and the difference in picture quality is not subtle. Crystal clear incredible closeups. One of the greatest live performances of all time. I’m watching this in around 50 minute sessions and one more to complete. I would think they will certainly release this separately at some point so everyone can own it.

7. BackWhereItAllBegins

BackWhereItAllBegins Forum Resident

It's interesting for me. I consider Pulse better performed with a better setlist than Delicate Sound of Thunder, but the video improvement for DSoT makes it the clear best Pink Floyd Blu-Ray for me now.

Edit: maybe it depends on TV/audio equipment. DSoT is so clear now for a more than 30 year old concert.

8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I think what I like most about Pulse is the stage/light show and incredible camera angles. Delicate Sound is also incredible in its own right. I had actually never seen it before until now. I’ve been watching Pulse on my 106 inch projector screen and the 4:3 format doesn’t bother me at all. Also, for some reason I think I prefer listening with headphones for the extra level of detail versus the 5.1.

coffeetime and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. deadvoices

deadvoices amused to death

Probably in the minority here. Even with the sound and picture clarity improvement of the Pulse blu Ray, I actually prefer the editing on the dvd version.

Anthrax and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Interesting point, I’d have to watch again to compare as it’s been awhile. I couldn’t tell the difference based on my poor memory of the DVD.

11. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That DVD is wonderful. You get to see the stage and light show very well.

Azza200 and deadvoices like this.
  12. I haven’t checked this thread in a while. Have any Easter Eggs been uncovered?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

What a fantastic picture you paint, of 5.1 heaven!

I've resisted this set so far due to the price and duplication of the contents, but your post certainly makes a tempting argument for purchase!

I've been hoping the set will fall below £200, though I know that's unlikely.

Farthingscat and coffeetime like this.
  14. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

£268 again on amazon uk..lowest I recall has been £263

coffeetime, Jam757 and jl151080 like this.
  15. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

16. richard wilberforce

richard wilberforce Forum Resident

Guy seemed a bit pissed they cut his bass solo in money. That i can understand, but for the life of me will never understand the CN cut in Knebworth

Big Pasi and JulesRules like this.
  17. Fletcher MH

Fletcher MH Forum Resident

I was wondering also. The previous releases did have some..

18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Not on purpose.

19. What is up with all these edits? It boggles the mind. Seems to be a case of micromanagement by unnamed band members to excise those parts of the show that they don’t like for one reason or another.

Max Florian and Larry Schmidt like this.
  20. Muppet

Muppet Brain the size of a Planet.

Guess it’s “artistic license” lol.

21. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

On the other hand he was so negative about it in his book. I quote:

I guess David thought he was doing Guy a favour! :shh:

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  22. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Some cuts in other versions of CN i understand too a degree but the cut that solo is one of worst cuts they have ever done on any CN solo. The fact the unedited solo is fine and is one of Davids best played, it does deserve a cut in such a bad edit they have done. I always thought it would be a solo they would leave unedited

23. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

This one did a great job of make the complete version of DSOT, even with brick in the wall 2 and welcome to machine

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Ia a recent video he said he came to like it though, knowing that many fans had received it well.

JulesRules likes this.
  25. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

excellent guitar playing on On The Turning Away & Comfortably Numb unique solos. David's playing on the 87 leg on the AMLOR tour was so good he did so much improvisation especially on those 2 songs on that leg of the tour.