I Must Say...Tidal’s Blowin’ My Mind!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, May 24, 2020.

1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

No, it’s good for me ‘cause I’m happy!

Jim13, SirMarc, APH and 6 others like this.
  2. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I know it doesn’t, which is why I asked the question.

Thanks for the info on Qobuz, one of these days I will have to check it out and compare.

3. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

I've read posts on other forums(DIYMA etc) where posters feel that getting the first unfold is good enough. Especially in a car stereo where you're dealing with road noise. But I don't think my Motorola even does the first unfold even though my TIDAL app shows "MASTER". Supposedly UAPP helps with that...

But at home is a different story. Chromecast in HiFi mode on my home system sounds very good and it is so convenient. But, I am interested in milking out better sound if it is possible. A laptop with the TIDAL app would give the first unfolding which would allow a Master to be sent. My Classe's DAC is capable of up to 192/26 so that should be enough I think. It's then about getting a streamer like the Bluesound Node 2i if I want the whole enchilada. Plus I think it shows the streaming level numbers.

This is a bit confusing to someone who is not digitally savvy.

Khorn likes this.
  4. Khorn

It’s sorta a bummer that I can’t get to check out what the whole Qobuz thing is about.

jonwoody, Monty12 and mikedifr0923 like this.
  5. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I tried it and honestly didn’t think I was missing out on anything that I didn’t already have on tidal. On top of that, I already had a huge playlist and collection on albums on tidal that I really didn’t want to have to build all over again in another service. To me, the “hi Rez” was no more enjoyable than the hi fi on tidal.

6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I’ve had Tidal for 5 years. It’s a godsend & saves me tons of money a year. Plus, it sounds great!

7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Anyone tried any of those Fiio DAPs with Bluetooth for Tidal? Any good?

8. vinylshadow

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  9. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

I don't know if Tidal still does this - but a couple of years ago when I originally subscribed to the hifi version, the default set up was mp3. Even though you'd think that subscribing to the higher cost service would automatically select flac. Took some disappointing listening until I worked out what the problem was. Once I'd manually selected hifi (flac) streaming everything was fine.

Khorn and olson like this.
  10. vinylshadow

Yes. You have to go into settings>streaming and select masters. Mine was originally set on Normal.

Khorn likes this.
  11. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

I’m not happy with Tidal using MQA otherwise I don’t mind Tidal but I’m voting with my wallet and refuse to pay Tidal for using it.

Khorn and quicksrt like this.
  12. Stereosound

Another reason not to be fooled by MQA. Doesn’t matter if your Classe can do 192/24 if it is not MQA equipped you won’t be getting the full MQA unfold.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Khorn likes this.
  13. Stereosound

If they manage to gain a foothold they should eventually get there however that may take a while. If you wanted to go the vpn route it would be the only way to try for now or if you had any friends you could go visit that have it in another country I suppose.

Khorn likes this.
  14. Fruff76

The beauty of capitalism. We love it, you hate it, but we both have the choice to either use it or not.

15. Fruff76

Does anyone know what the darker blue chromecast color is? Sometimes that little icon is light blue, sometimes it’s dark blue.

16. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I found an article that says Tidal pays artists 1.2 cents per stream, more than its competitors.

17. Stereosound

vinylshadow is correct. I find it also helps to turn off volume normalization in the menu as well otherwise it sounds as if the high end is rolled off or not as clear. Wonder how many people bother going into the menu to check all this stuff sometimes...

18. Stereosound

I highly doubt that is true.

vegafleet likes this.
  19. Khorn

For someone who hates MQA so much why do you even care about it? I would just forget about it and pretend it doesn’t exist. I don’t like Kalashnikovs but I don’t sit around and think about them.

olson and Fruff76 like this.
  20. vinylshadow

I just changed phones and went into TIDAL's settings and they were set at Normal. Changed that...I've never known that the "loudness normalization" had the effect you described. I turned that off too. I'll be interested to see the difference.

When most people here are talking about TIDAL, is it all on your home systems?

Anyone do any TIDAL playing in their cars out of a head unit? From what I've read, even though the TIDAL screen will show MASTER, cell phones and head units can't unfold any MQA or play Master's as they are not MQA( LG's are and can do both but I believe only through their headphone jacks where their DACs are). Iphones have something called bit perfect so it sends higher bit rate/sampling I believe.

I've read a lot of posts from people using UAPP and they say that it makes a difference on any phone.I think it may allow for the first MQ unfold? Or sends higher sampling through the USB?...So, I guess right now I'm getting TIDAL HiFi in the car. Sounds good but always curious about the MQA which I guess you need a DAP for and play through a DSP..... Nothing's easy nor easy to understand for us digitally uninformed folks.

But I'd be so interested to hear an A vs B, TIDAL HiFi vs MQA completely unfolded to see the differences and what the hubbub is about.

21. Stereosound

I care to see it go away.

22. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

You are missing out! I love my Kalashnikov!!! :cool:

bever70 likes this.
  23. vinylshadow

I figure, if there are so many people investing in streaming systems at home, there must be something to the sonics of MQA. And hi res files too. I've only played hi res from vinyl so I've never messed with them but TIDAL Masters would be fun to hear.

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’m using Tidal on my IPhone 6 through the head unit of my vehicle and it does play the MASTER files.

25. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

Well darn. Hadn't noticed the volume normalization button. What a daft idea for hifi use. Good idea if you are listening in a car where having volume normalization might be a good idea. But why oh why is the default low res audio and volume normalization? I've unclicked it.

Stereosound likes this.