Separates vs. Integrated (RR2160 or Used Parsound HINTO) - Budget Edition

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fish17, May 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

If you're going with Emotiva, why not try out the matching pre-amp for the A-300. Then you have a few hundred left over for other stuff including music!
    BasX PT-100 Stereo Preamplifier/DAC/Tuner

Looking at their website, it sure looks like they are having supply chain problems. Majority of products unavailable.

2. Fish17

Fish17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ended up going with a used Parsound A23, but the Emotiva sounds like a great budget audiophile system. I knew if I started there I would always wonder what the parasound could have offered so I spent a little more upfront.

head_unit and bever70 like this.
  3. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Nice! Enjoy!

4. Fish17

Thanks I was looking at that 2125 V2 that you have, it was between that and the A23. I went with the A23 so I could use balanced inputs.

PS: I really liked that the 2125 V2 had A/B selectors.

5. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Same here. I went for the New Classic amp because it had two sets of speaker outputs I can run my vintage Stax headphones with.

Fish17 likes this.
  6. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Pic of the 2250v2 had me curious to the insides:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  7. Fish17

When I switch to my phono pre amp there is a low level hum when the record player is on. I thought it could be the RCA cable from the Phono Preamp but who knows, it could also be the record player itself, the phono preamp or the ****ty rca cable from the record player to the preamp.

How do you look at efficiencies of a speaker I see that the Q150s are Nominal Impedance 8Ω (min. 3.7Ω) with a sensitivity of 86 dB (2.83V/1m), same for the LS50, how is efficiency defined? Is sensitivity the same thing? The higher the dB the more efficient it is? Based on my limited reading 86 is considered inefficient.

8. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Yes,86 is not very efficient. But the A23 will have enough power to deal with that. I have hard to drive planar magnetic speakers (87 or 89 efficiency) and they really came alive with my A23.

Fish17 likes this.
  9. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I've been lucky and not had hum issues, so can't comment. Hopefully it just 'goes away' with the new gear and cables.

There's possibly a difference between efficiency and sensitivity ... i don't know what it is though!

Smallish speakers will likely be less efficient (86dB is a probably typical realistic measured value). Yes, higher = more efficient (power in = sound pressure out). I think there's frequency-related curves in the measurement too ('A-Weighting') but I think all modern speaker manufacturers use (or should use) the same definitions. Some quote values that are 'optimistic' or include 'room gain' (3dB?) though ... without stating that. Stereophile and some other sites measure speakers ... I'm sure they have some for the LS50 and usually comment (if the sensitivity is say 86dB and min impedance is near 4 ohms) that "a good 4 ohm rated amplifier should be used" or something. Which the A23 IS !!! SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com - BHK Labs Measurements: Parasound Halo A 23 Stereo/Mono Amplifier goes to 150Wpc into 4 ohms before the curve starts to 'rise'.

KEF LS50 Anniversary Model loudspeaker Measurements is the LS50 Anniversary model, i didn't see measurements for the Q150 per se. I think as long as volume is kept reasonable in a small-medium room (or even a large room with a nearfield setup) you'll be fine. With the sub the low end will be augmented as well. By most accounts these are excellent speakers. I see some comments about a '100W amp' should be used with the LS50s, so the A23 will be just fine.

Nearfield setup ... yummmmmm ... that's what I do, speakers on stands well out into the room, about 6-8' from my ears, 6-8' apart. Sub wherever (against a wall). As 'Sam Tellig' used to say, "soundstage city" ...

KEF LS50 Anniversary Model loudspeaker Sam Tellig May 2014 he doesn't use this phrase here but implies it ...! The Croft amp Sam uses craps out at 50W into 4 ohms, so seems like (at least with nearfield setup) that was plenty.

KEF LS50 Anniversary Model loudspeaker Stephen Mejias June 2014 Stephen bought the review samples ...

10. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

This should get you started.
    Speaker Efficiency
    I also have inefficient speakers, probably around the same rating as yours, and a similar power rating to the A23 with my 2125 v2. For me the biggest change with going from one amp running stereo to bridging two amps to run mono for more power, was the improved dynamics at all volume levels.

bever70 likes this.
  11. Fish17

Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like I have plenty of juice!

My room isn't very big (20 ft x 12 ft) it's definitely a nearfield setup. I'm usually 7 feet or closer to the speakers. Plus I'm a low volume listener unless I want to hear them in my kitchen or the rest of my first floor when I'm in the middle of something.

Rick58 and bever70 like this.
  12. Fish17

You can always add more power! Like you said these A23s can be run as mono blocks so I can always add another A23 if I move this setup to a different room or a different house lol.

head_unit, Rick58 and okc_craft like this.
  13. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

There you go, already planning the next upgrade LOL.

Rick58 and Fish17 like this.
  14. Fish17

Are you talking about the sound system or the house lol? I'm excited to see what this A23 can do.

okc_craft likes this.
  15. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Mine is 23 ft x 13ft, only slightly bigger than your room. I'm at 9ft from my speakers but I like it loud :D.
    You are going to use Mogami interconnects between freya and A23? I use Mogami 2497 (2549 from sources to saga) and it's a marriage made in heaven. Very dynamic!

Rick58 and Fish17 like this.
  16. Fish17

Thanks for the words of engorgement! Too bad I have to wait another month until I get my Freya+ :(

It sounds like your happy with the A23 and your hard to drive speakers so that's a good sign for me. Similar room size I probably listen at lower volumes.

Yeah I’m going to use Mogami 2549 between the A23 & Freya +

PS: Just saw you room setup in your profile A+

bever70 and Rick58 like this.
  17. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I was talking about the system, but maybe you can work a listing room into a new house :D

Rick58 likes this.
  18. Fish17

I had to post this eloquently phased except from a review I was reading about the A23.

The A-23 amp throws copious amounts of current—more than enough to drive my big-hair vintage Kef C-80's and their tricky 4-ohm conjugate-load crossovers, without even breathing hard or stirring up enough of that ee-vuhl torroidal transform heat to chase me onto the porch the way the ole Bryston did with such regularity, bless its tired Canadian heart. In fact, the power on this sleek little doll is beefy enough to run any speaker I can think of that isn't made out of concrete or hooked up to it with bailing twine.

No bailing twine or concrete speakers here lol.

Gotta love some of the writing of audio reviewers.

IRG, bever70 and Rick58 like this.
  19. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Hey Fish17, wanna really go crazy? Shootout of Nos 6sn7 tubes :D Almost enough to 'just' go for the Freya S ... but you've waited a week already, right? I think it'd be a blast to get the + and EVENTUALLY try some different tubes. Listen for a long time though to get the 'feel' of all the new stuff first.

Fish17 likes this.
  20. Fish17

Thanks for the link!

Exactly only a couple more weeks! I ended up back ordering the Freya+ so I’m the list for the next shipment.

I've been reading and researching speakers in the meantime. Thinking about some Maggies. I feel like for my long room, a KEF LS50 or my current Q150 is too small of a speaker.

I’ve never heard planer magnetic speakers before but there is a dealer nearby where I hope to audition the LRS and possibly the 0.7. I think my A23 will work really well with Maggies, they love high current and parasound has that in spades. Plus Maggies work well in long rooms like mine. It seems like a good fit.

I'm probably going to return these speaker stands as I can put that $160 towards LRSs and sell the Q150s for close to what I paid years ago.

The thought of my kids knocking over the speaker stands even filled and blue taked is terrifying. I like the idea of pulling out the light LRS when I want to really listen and just leave them tucked away when not in use. They are super light and unobtrusive so I’m very attracted to the idea. Only concern is the cat, I have feeling they would look like great scratching posts even though he doesn't have claws.

This would mean no sub as I’m sure my budget Pioneer would be way too slow to keep up with the Maggies. Hopefully I can give the LRS a listen.

I was also looking at other bookshelf speakers but floor standing speakers seem like the way to go for my situation.
    PS: As i was writing with the damn cat was scratching my sliding screen door :cussing:

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    bever70 and Rick58 like this.
  21. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Wow, 'sounds' way cool! I have never heard Maggies nor anything other than box type speakers, but it seems folks use Parasound amps (HINT anyway) with the ones you're looking at. Not sure about the cat though! Seems very interesting to be able to pull them out for critical listening. I had mine set up like in the picture most of the year but put them back close to the wall at Christmas time (for tree setup etc.) and the rare occasion when we had visitors and wanted to sit in the Living Room (my room was a separate Living Room/Dining Room combo, we also had a 'Great Room' connected with the open kitchen which served as a family room in general). We did eat at the dining table for occasions and had nice music! Otherwise we had an eating area off the kitchen we used 98% of the time.

If you haven't heard properly set up high end stereo, you're in for a real treat! I hope you can listen to some Maggies before purchasing, and they're optimally set up. There's probably a 'recommended procedure' for setting them up properly - then 'mark' or measure CAREFULLY their positions before moving them back into the 'corners' or whatever. Not sure about recommending absorptive panels behind the panels (against the wall)? You need to read up on all that ...

I'm jazzed! Gonna live vicariously thru you until I can get my system (re)set up in Idaho. I'm heading up there in 3 weeks, hopefully will get started on that, altho I still have my rack and records and other media here, will be shipping it soon though.

Might as well try the current sub, I'm sure there are recommended ones to use with Maggies. For later!

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  22. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Sorry, I was thinking I saw something about 0.7s and the A23, can't find a particular reference (some folks I found use a HINT though, which isn't much more powerful than the A23). The A23 almost doubles its power from 8 ohms to 4 (which is what the Maggies are, basically a pretty flat 4 ohm load, don't go below 4 which is good). So as you say it does have considerable oomph so I wouldn't think it to be an issue, esp at normal volume levels.

IN fact the HINTO and A23 have the SAME current capability and the A23 is only rated a couple of watts less into 4 ohms, so I'd read any 'review' pairing the .7 and HINT (whatever flavor) as being equivalent to the A23.

23. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

What is the HINTO? A combo of Halo and the Hint, or are you referring to the Hint 6 integrated?

24. Fish17

HINTO is the original Halo Intergrated amp before the Hint 6

25. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Thanks! I don't recall seeing that actual amp now, must be a bit older I'm guessing. Essentially the Hint 6 is the A23+ and the preamp combined, for the same price as the separates. Seems like going with separates makes sense, in terms of upgrading or reliability issues. Only an extra set of cables needed.

Fish17 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.