Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. SlevinKelevra

SlevinKelevra Forum Resident

I'm 41664.6

Now, come on, tell me. What's so wrong about hating tastemaker payola zines or pointing out ignorance and hypocrisy in listening?

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

This thread was over 200 without bickering until you showed up. Why don’t you chill out or leave.

The age perspective is interesting because a lot of the old heads here were into this music before the internet and discovered music the old fashioned where no one talked rudely like you are. You’re obviously just a young guy trying to act tough. It’s not like we haven’t seen your act before lol.

3. SlevinKelevra

I'm 44 and I've been listening to underground metal since 1988 or 1989. I'm not trying to act tough, and I'm not the petty immature jackwagon talking about people "behind their back" (as you did when I took a break from here) . I am however very impatient and intolerant of ignorance and hypocrisy. If you think I "talk rudely" I am glad you weren't around on sites like MMBB, Lapland, FMP666, MetalWarriors, or any of the forums that kicked butt when the "internet" went widely popular; you wouldn't have lasted 3 minutes. They made the (now defunct) NWN forum look like a well regulated and polite playground. Being around that long and active on those forums, and trading and buying physical media( complete with IRC sendbacks!) is why I have that kind of knowledge (Rob Darken contributing to Behemoth demos 25+ years ago, among other things) . Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is what it is. I wasn't aware the thread wasn't allowed to actually discuss things; just to mindlessly submit links and circle-back-pat without learning anything about the bands

Here's a great new release
    Runespell / Forest Mysticism - Wandering Forlorn, by Iron Bonehead Productions , well unless you're upset that Runespell has covered Absurd songs... or his otherwise shady connections.

4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

5. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm looking for some great 2020 releases, any suggestions?

7. Dreadnought

I was thinking about the lack of bickering here and how Grrrrr became like a Gentleman's Lounge. Fireplace, leather chairs, pipes puffing and mature friends conversing over scotch with Darkthrone on the speakers. How it's not a gladiatorial arena where combatants fight to the death. In the outside world I don't confront and challenge my friends, and that's how I think of the guys here, friends. If I disagree with what a buddy says I don't get in his face. I might disagree diplomatically or I say nothing at all and move on.
    Everyone is wrong about everything all the time! There is no cure! :laugh:

8. Dreadnought

If the Pixies went black? Some of that current who knows what the genre is but its just beautiful in places. Accordion and saxophone finish.

"Eld' is the literal and metaphorical narrative about death; relating two travelers sitting by a fire in the forest, with one being far out of her element. Through the assistance of hard psychedelic drugs, the antagonist is luring and ultimately forcing the protagonist to abandon the world as she knows it; accepting the unavoidable: the death of her ego and physical body, ultimately finds relief and purpose -- This is the album's revelation."
    This Monkey Goes to Heaven.

Jun 19

lenny nero and fuzzface like this.
  9. SlevinKelevra

Kawir
    Cenotaphe
    Maquahuitl
    Goats of Doom
    Malokarpatan
    The True Werwolf
    Faustian Pact
    Runespell/Forest Mysticism
    Circle of Ouroborus
    Atra Mors
    Ebony Pendant
    Aara
    Muspellzheimr
    Evilfeast/Uuntar
    Burier
    Grogaldr
    Grifteskymfning
    Morketida
    Nawaharjan
    Deogen

100423 likes this.
  10. Dreadnought

From La belle province (Quebec), I love the way the standard BM will give way to pure 70's power chords.

Jun 24

nosliw, lenny nero and fuzzface like this.
  11. SlevinKelevra

it's probably the strongest year for Black Metal since the early 00's

peskypesky likes this.
  12. Dreadnought

[​IMG]

You know you're a maniac when you text a few friends who have zero interest and insist they listen and look for 45 seconds from 2:30 just so they know the specific musical rapturous brain virus you are afflicted with.

I'm reminded of that when reading an interview with TOV guitarist Alex Awn. AN NCS INTERVIEW: TEMPLE OF VOID (ALEX AWN) - NO CLEAN SINGING Copying just a little of that.

"Well, how did you go further from your grinding death metal sound? Did you know what this album would be different from the start?

Of Terror and the Supernatural was predominantly doom. Lords Of Death was predominantly death. So we had a 50/50 balance between the two. And as a death-doom band we have a lot of potential arrows in our quiver. Just as Of Terror and the Supernatural didn’t set the die for how we’d forever sound, I don’t think Lords Of Death did either. And The World That Was won’t dictate how we sound in the future. There’s a thread that permeates everything we do. It’s always recognizable as Temple of Void. We can’t ever lose that. But it might manifest itself differently from time to time.

The first track we wrote for The World That Was was actually the closer, “The World that Was.” So based on that we wondered if we’d be writing these sprawling 10-minute epics for the album. But it didn’t turn out that way. We couldn’t have anticipated tracks like “Self-Schism” or “Leave the Light Behind.” We just write and we jam and we keep what we like and ditch what we don’t. Our albums happen very organically. They’re not preconceived directions. We labor intently over the songcraft. But I don’t think we ever know what an album is going to sound like before we start writing. All we know is that it will have death, it will have doom, and it will sound like Temple of Void. But that’s a very 50,000 ft view. We don’t know what surprises we’ll generate along the way."

Rollie, lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  13. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm out, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've stated my stance on this, I'm not that deep into the scene, I'm a casual metal fan that's just trying to find music I like listening to, and frankly, there are far more things in the world today for me to worry about. I do my best to not listen to or support NSBM (and as far as I know, I honestly don't), but I'm not going to get into the minutia of what percent of black metal it constitutes. Take care.

Brenald79 likes this.
  14. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

Heh, I thought he just had it in for me for some reason. Glad to see I'm not alone. ;)

Brenald79 likes this.
  15. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Every BM band that has been around for a long time has some connection to someone or something that is NS. Doesn't really mean anything at this juncture. Of course, ANTIFA categorizes every BM band as racist and whatnot due to the vast majority of musicians being male and white. I do not have that many grains of salt around. Lol. Don't sweat it man

16. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Nope! Lol.

17. SlevinKelevra

well, your avatar is Abbath (I guess we'll ignore his past associations with Varg since it's before he went full Nazi),.... who released that album on Season of Mist, who continues to sell their back-catalogue of Inquisition albums, given Dagon's predilections towards the Nazi flag and Roman Salute, as well as other unsavory acts.... Season of Mist officially distributed the recent repress of the Osculum Infame DLP, regularly sell Graveland merch, various Romaen Saenko materials, Clandestine Blaze merch, had Deathspell Omega on their roster, etc etc.
    Yeh, you don't support it. LOL. You'd have to be more than a casual, casual listerner to not know any of this.

18. SlevinKelevra

I don't think you should "Sweat it", I just also don't think you should be ignorant of it.

19. Dreadnought

Somewhere around four years and only a single negative blip. Continue to tune in even if you don't write. You are most welcome here. :)

Mature dudes talking metal (one of their uncles could have been a scofflaw 35 years ago I fear).
    A good laugh at 17:15

20. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

And i don't think u should keep trying to "school" everyone. Just take it down a notch please. Your recommendations and opinions r welcome. Your cvlt attitude is not. Seriously

Brenald79 and Dreadnought like this.
  21. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

New Necrot coming later in the summer!

Mortal, by Necrot

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Digital pre-orders and an exclusive limited vinyl variant will premiere on Bandcamp day Friday June 5th.

physical pre-orders up now - tankcrimes.merchtable.com
    credits
    releases August 28, 2020

Recorded by Greg Wilkinson at Earhammer Studios
    Mastered by Alan Douches at West West Side
    Art by Marald Van Haasteren

100423, M2225 and Dreadnought like this.
  22. Dreadnought

You know I was looking for that info yesterday and could not find anything! Yes, I am text shouting! :p
    I was looking because I saw some funny pics of the band in studio this week that I liked enough to save.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: And a song just came out :cool:

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    lenny nero likes this.
  23. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

You have the honor of being the first person I'm ignoring on this forum. Congrats!

Brenald79 likes this.
  24. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Here are some that come to mind...

Dragged Into Sunlight "Terminal Aggressor II"
    Wormhole "The Weakest Among Us"
    Greater Gods "Return to the House of the Gods"
    Kruelty "A Dying Truth"
    In the Company of Serpents "LUX"
    Ritual of Decay "Can They Suffer?"
    Drown "Subaqueous"
    Abhasa ""
    Cosmic Atrophy "Codex Incubo"
    Cryptic Shift "Visitations From Enceladus"

fuzzface likes this.
  25. Dreadnought

Maybe it was the 25 not great songs I listened to prior that had this leap out as pretty good. Why do I love big power chords so damn much? Relatos De Angustia, by SELBST

Aug 7

100423, lenny nero and fuzzface like this.