Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Although Jerry does hit a clam in Eyes after the first verse, which was magically edited out of the Movie and out of the Movie Soundtrack.

anth67 and budwhite like this.
  2. It ties my room together and lives with New Releases and In Rotation

[​IMG]

3. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Yeah, Dream Syndicate right in front!

AlienRendel, katstep and Mazzy like this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Not hardly

SJR likes this.
  5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

This is why Im glad we have the archive/etree etc.

Freebird and US Blues like this.
  6. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Do you forget which stack is the new releases?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

AlienRendel likes this.
  8. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Also, look closely: he has helpful organizational tabs, like in a record store. But I wonder if there are rules for when an album is no longer a "new release" or gets pulled from the "in rotation" shelf.

Erik B. likes this.
  9. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Mazzy motivated me to line up all my non-CD-sized GD box sets and take a photo of them, and another of the CD-sized releases on their shelves. But I don't have any cool vinyl to go with them, my albums have been in a cupboard for almost 30 years. I occasionally get one out to look at while I play files. I'm sure that's heresy here!

trd and Erik B. like this.
  10. rainbow dome

rainbow dome Forum Resident

Forgive me if this has been discussed already (couldn't find anything with thread search), but I just acquired the PNW box set a few days ago and I need to vent my frustration re: its treatment of the 6/24/73 Dark Star. The problem is that Keith's Fender Rhodes has virtually been EQ'd out of existence on the box set when it can be heard very clearly in the center of the stereo field on Charlie Miller's Archive version.

For anyone who has the box, listen to the Dark Star starting at around 11:30 and compare it with this version on the Archive and you'll hear what I'm talking about:
    archive.org/details/gd1973-06-24.sbd.miller.99852.sbeok.flac16/gd73-06-24d3t01.flac
    On the Archive, those buttery, bell-like keys come through loud and clear, while on the box set they are reduced to an occasionally audible whisper until the last 2-3 minutes of the Dark Star, when Keith can be heard quite clearly. (One quirk of this Dark Star is that Keith cannot be heard AT ALL until 11:30 on any version--not sure why, but I would guess he was accidentally mixed out for the first 11 minutes).

Since this is a two-track recording, the keyboard track could not have been turned down individually, so I'm thinking this must be the result of aggressive EQing and/or noise reduction. Bummer, right?

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    budwhite, frightwigwam and jay.dee like this.
  11. US Blues

Apparently Keith sat out for the first part of this Dark Star for reasons unknown.

trd, rainbow dome and AlienRendel like this.
  12. trd

trd Forum Resident

Are we sure it’s the same source?

13. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

Just got mine today.

I was wondering after reading through this thread over the last few weeks if anyone has still not received it that ordered one last year? I know there were a lot off people that had issues actually getting the box set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

There is also a weird cut/source change in the Dark Star that I haven't seen anyone mention. I was not familiar with this show until this box was released so maybe others are aware or it had been discussed before as a known issue. Right around the 3:41 minute mark you can hear the drums suddenly shift dead center. Not sure if its a change of source/patch or some board EQ change. It returns back to the original mix at 5:08. Its not like you notice a difference in the quality of the sound, as Jerry & Phil still sound the same, it's more an orientation of the sound or positions of the instruments that change and in particular the drums.

US Blues likes this.
  15. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Good day to break out 06-22-73 from 47 years ago today

[​IMG]

CraigC, jay.dee, SJR and 15 others like this.
  16. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

I recently listened to 6-22-73’s big jam again and was blown away. I’ve always loved it, but the other week was a very special listening experience. I did a little write up the other week and figured I’d share it here as well:

This night is all around a monster of a show. The first set has just about everything one needs in a first set in this era plus even more jamming than usual due to the Here Comes Sunshine and arguably the jazziest version of Bird Song they ever played.

But the second set jam has truly unique stuff held within its soundscapes. While the first set had some issues with the mix / tape, by this point things were cruising along nicely. I’m pretty sure I saw new galaxies and planets being formed last night in the back of my mind while listening. I’m still somewhat in awe from what I heard.

He’s Gone begins the journey and is so soft and delicate. It almost sounds like Billy is using brushes. The “whoa, oh, nothing’s gonna bring him back” vocal segment is especially soulful and is pretty much as close to gospel as it gets for the Dead. Really special and deep.

Truckin roars our of the vocal segment and the crowd is loving it. It rolls along and as soon it begins it seems to evolve into something else entirely. The structure is gone and pure jazzy improv bliss begins. Phil is noticeably steering the directions and soon the rest of the band just lets him do his thing with an extraordinary, long bass solo. At times Billy and / or Jerry join him for the ride, but quickly disappear to make room for the round, bouncy, soothing tones emanating from the bass. The rest of the band eventually comes back in for more jazzy goodness. The sound is so intimate that it’s hard to believe this isn’t happening in one’s living room as opposed to a massive arena.

Eventually hints of The Other One begin to develop and at this point the song almost feels like an afterthought. Almost. But they still have a lot to say. The usual Phil intro is eschewed for a more nuanced approach which seems to fit this night very well. After the first verse, the bottom drops out and we go to outer space for a bit followed by a Tiger jam. At this point Phil renters the song with his bass intro bringing this full circle. As the theme re-emerges Bobby sings the second verse, a rare occurrence at that point in their career. It lands into a tender and raw Wharf Rat that serves as a lovely way to rejoin reality.

Wow. Just wow stuff going on this night. So primal.

17. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Speaking of Charlie Miller, I always wondered if he was real or someone using a pseudonym. He is and is on FB. He accepted my friend request and posts some interesting stuff.

frightwigwam and US Blues like this.
  18. US Blues

Great review!

Two things of note, one is that Dave said when this was released that there was 10 minutes of music in the big jam that had not circulated prior. The second is more pedantic: Here Comes Sunshine opens the second set.

19. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

I wish I would have bought this in some format.

US Blues likes this.
  20. US Blues

Matthew Tate and AlienRendel like this.
  21. Houseplants

US Blues likes this.
  22. US Blues

Can you play FLAC files?

Portland is a must have show, even if you're flipping vinyl like pancakes.

No CD's? :wtf:

Woodville and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Houseplants

I really don't see a need to drop a ton of money on Dead live releases on vinyl. I do have all the best pressings of the studio albums. I'd like a copy of One from the Vault and Two from the Vault though.

I'm flac all the way for live dead!

Billy_Sunday, US Blues and budwhite like this.
  24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    My box is surrounded by other stuff, but it certainly features one of the most beautiful designs I've seen in a box set.

Crispy Rob, laf848, adamos and 5 others like this.
  25. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Thanks and that’s right! Forgot about the HC Sunshine placement.

Good reminder on the missing music. Believe they had backup patch reels which is awesome. 10 while minutes of missing jamming would have been oh so sad.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.