Amazon Prime recommendations

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by digdug67, Apr 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

I agree 100%. I think it's the best new show of 2020 so far. Very well done.

Brenald79, trumpet sounds and 360-12 like this.
  2. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

If every episode of Tales from the Loop were as outstanding as the 2nd episode (Transpose) this show would among the best of the year. Unfortunately the rest vary in engagement. All and all a thumbs up.

3. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

yeah im finding im surprisingly uninspired to keep at it after watching 4 episodes ...

4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Upload ' is not too bad. A light sci-fi / thriller / comedy.
    You could watch worse.
    ' Hunters ' is quite good but not for everyone.

5. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

the 2 part Swedish documentary called

skull and bones

for some reason it cant be streamed .... so u need to download it to watch it.

an interesting look at that Yale secret society

6. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Southern Comfort (1981) - directed by Walter Hill (48hrs, The Warriors) and has a murder’s row of great character actors (Powers Boothe, Keith Carradine, Peter Coyote, Fred Ward, Brion James). National guardsmen on weekend drills piss off some Cajuns in the swamps of Louisiana. It pretty much adhere to the “Ten Little Indians” slasher movie formula as they get knocked off one by one. Boothe and Carradine are especially great.

White Lightning (1973) Another swamp classic, Burt Reynolds as “Gator” McKlusky, a con on a plea deal trying to take down an evil sheriff (Ned Beatty) who killed his brother. Maybe one of the sweatiest movies ever made, you need a towel just watching it. But it has the gritty style of movies from the era like Thunderbolt and Lightfoot or Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. And a pre-mustache Burt is great.

The sequel “Gator” is more in line with Smokey and the Bandit in tone, came out a year before Smokey. Features Jerry Reed as the heavy. But a little more goofy than White Lightening. Still probably worth watching if you like the first movie.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    smilin ed and P(orF) like this.
  7. ‘The only issue I’m having is the subtitles - white subtitles against brightly lit scenes/images make them impossible for me to read at times. I wish they’d put them in the ‘black bar’ below the image.

marcb and robertawillisjr like this.
  8. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

Thanks - was struggling to find something on Prime or even Netflix the past week or so. Really enjoyed the Narcos shows, so looks right up my alley! Will start it tonight!

robertawillisjr likes this.
  9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just wrapped up season 1 of a show that doesn't get mentioned much around here (it should!); Don Cheadle's House Of Lies. Razor sharp adult humor (dramedy!), fantastic writing and an all star cast. Big fan Of his work but I find HOL to be FAR superior to his current series; Black Monday.

10. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Watched "Tales from the Loop" episode 3. Don't understand the music of James Carr "Dark End of the Street" being played by a Chinese American girl? Just how many young girls play that record?

Craig likes this.
  11. Maybe a temporary glitch, certainly all Amazon Prime shows are supposed to be accessible by streaming. I just checked and could stream it now.

Craig and polchik like this.
  12. Whistle back a memory with Tombstone Territory, a barely remembered '50s TV western, if you can remember it at all, I couldn't.

Craig and digdug67 like this.
  13. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

that's good to know !

there are some great interview clips of british/american economist and historian antony sutton in that doc.

Antony C. Sutton - Wikipedia

14. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

hey has anyone checked out ....

"philip k. dick's ELECTRIC DREAMS". ??

an amazon prime series ....

stand alone episodes based on his work !

i just put it on my watchlist !

kanakaris and jpelg like this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

Upload.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  16. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here! Thread Starter

I've seen the trailer but not checked it out yet. How's the storyline, writing, acting, etc.?

17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Shawn likes this.
  18. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Too soon to say, as I have only seen the first episode, but it was excellent.

digdug67 likes this.
  20. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

I finished this series off this week. Also thought it was excellent. Some of the plot was a little rushed, especially towards the end. After the next to last episode, I thought "how are they going to sew this all up in one more episode?" But they did a good job. The acting was top notch all up and down the cast.
    And I'm still trying to figure out
    why Stefano was so intent on stopping the shipment.
    Loved the Mogwai music score!

Bruce Racket likes this.
  21. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

We tried Prime Video for the first time last night.
    Selection seems good, but was unimpressed with the picture quality on the three shows I sampled.
    It’s set to the highest resolution but certainly looked nowhere near as good as Netflix.
    Is this normal or is source dependent ?

22. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

I thought the same thing, how are they going to wrap this up so quick? It did seem like they could have added another episode pretty easily.
    It's quite a story spanning continents. Even the cinematography is top notch!

23. George P

George P Notable Member

I notice when a show starts its very pixelated, but after 30 seconds or so the quality improves.

Can you tell me where to set the resolution for Amazon Prime Video? I don't find anything in the settings menu on my TV (I'm watching through a SONY Bluray player.)

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Okay, I'm reading today about a cease-and-desist letter that was sent to SkyTV, concerning the show having had its' idea stolen from a production called, Once Upon A Time in Britannia...which, being a Rupert Murdoch network...was not honored. Fearing further reprisals and repercussions, I can only conclude, this may be a reason Amazon Prime has not pressed forward with the second series here in the states. That other shoe may be a far wait to drop, sadly.

25. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

This is the way it is for me. The Netflix PQ is much better, too bad most of the content sucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.