Sign O' the Times - Prince (super deluxe edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, May 29, 2020.

1. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes!!!

Oh yes!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :faint:

Just take my money NOW.

EG.

2. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

13 vinyl discs.

Just got to book a meeting with my financial adviser.

I hope it's under £200, but probably more like £250.

This for me is golden age Prince, so it's a must have.

Have you considered though that one of those discs would be The Black Album?

3. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Is there any other kind any more?

4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I'd guess the RRP of the CD/DVD box would be about £80?

EG.

5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Well, especially given the current situation in Prince's home state :(

EG.

6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Writing as someone in Minneapolis right now, I’d say some days are more grim than others. But I don’t want to derail this thread. This is amazing news and deserves to be the full focus of the discussion.

7. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Looking forward to this ..wallet isn’t

Eric_Generic likes this.
  8. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The big Bowie boxes have been 13 LPs and $250, usually eventually available at a healthy discount.

If Black Album is included, it might be a no-brainer for me.

fishyboots likes this.
  9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Based on the 1999 set, I suspect the SDE will likely be far more affordable than most other box sets of a similar scope— at least the CD edition. The vinyl, well, that will probably take a good chunk out of that wallet.

Matthew Tate and Eric_Generic like this.
  10. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Well they can certainly grab some of my cash for this set!

The run up to SOTT was Prince's most creatively feculent period. Wait no, it might just have been the most feculent period for any pop artist ever.

A couple of LP sides might be taken up with single edits (apparently there are some people who really want these). Still, that will leave multiple sides of the purest musical thrills.

11. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

18 September? Well normally I hate wishing summer away. Especially on such a sunny day like today. But come September we may have this box (a deep dive into Prince's creative peak). And hopefully by the. we'll have put this horrid virus back in its place, and maybe we'll have sports back as well.

I know times are hard, but if we can pull through we will have lots to look forward to.

12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I hope at some point they will redo Purple Rain, it is a shame if his biggest album is available in a substandard versions if all the other surrounding reissues turn out great.

This is what I would like to see, I'm not normally for double dipping, but in this case it seems like an attractive way to do it.

That would be madness, if "The Black Album" is to be included as a bonus anywhere it is on a Lovesexy Deluxe. But first of all I think there is a problem with TBA because it is not up on streaming sites, secondly I'm not sure they would waste it away hiding it as a bonus, wouldn't they want to milk it's status for a separate release?

13. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

Wish those single edits were download only ... I'd love a CD with 12" mixes and B sides without repetitive songs.

sparkmeister and Freek999 like this.
  14. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I know there is a much bigger problem in the US right now but this makes me so happy

ConnieGuitar and DeeThomaz like this.
  15. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Not too familiar with the Crystal Ball stuff, I keep waiting for the Sony reissue series to get around to that, so I'm a bit confused, I know (via Wikipedia) that the Crystal Ball album released in '98 was a 4 cd set including "The Truth" and apparently Kamasutra was included on a limited edition.
    So my question, since apparently a lot of the Crystal Ball material was from the SOTT era, how much overlap would there be and would including that stuff on the SOTT deluxe make a reissue of Crystal Ball redundant or not likely?

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  16. nerd767

nerd767 Forum Resident

The Crystal ball that got released in the 90's has 1 or 2 songs in common with the 80s one

17. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

feverishly praying the end product results in something that can truly be enjoyed and critically listened to in a hi-end system.
    this is my fav Prince album and maybe my all time fav, period - but I have always been at odds with the reality the mastering was mostly a disaster.
    Now, a very nice person here pointed me to the Kevin Grey pressing which is a vast improvement and listenable.

But, for this SDE, it would just be the very best if it was a really proper, full do over. I don't care if its the vinyl or hi-res Flac files, or both.
    such an important piece of art, gosh I hope it finally gets the treatment it deserves, sonically.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

One big question is if WB can license those few songs from the 80’s Crystal Ball that Sony (presumably) has the rights to. That will determine if they can present the vintage CB in its entirety as part of the 8 CDs.

I suspect they’ll be able to work something out With the cooperation of the estate. In any case, offhand I *think* all the Camille material is WB era (right) and shouldn’t be a problem if they chose to include it as well.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

And so it begins.

nlgbbbblth, 905 and Kym like this.
  20. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

I've been thinking and thinking, and looking through my studio boots library, and I'm fully down with the chronological approach to the vault discs, ala the 1999 set. They should do this for all his Super Deluxes. Like people said above, I hope for a redone Purple Rain Super Deluxe, but not before SOTT, Parade, etc.

Someone said the ideal situation would be to make the main album Crystal Ball, which would encompass both that album AND SOTT, and I agree, but that's not what we'll get.

21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Have you played the 1999 box yet?

:D

Eric_Generic likes this.
  22. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

Is that the "4 those of U on valium" show? Yes, that would be a great inclusion, actually. I've got a DVD of it and it's a hot show, his new band was on point and Eric Leeds was on fire.

23. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

It's been widely rumoured for along time this was next up.

Really hope this is true and we get a full track list soon.

My assumption of the make up of the 13 vinyl set.

2 lps are the original album
    2 lps b sides edits etc
    2 lps a live show
    7 lps outtakes, may be one of these being Camille.

24. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I think they should include all officially released versions of song they can find, including edits, but I think they should sequence them in an intelligent way and not put all the versions of the same song next to each other, they should be separated into groups of 7" and 12" versions and A's and B's should be next to each other, etc.

Those two have nothing to do with each other besides the name, here you can read about the original unreleased 1986 Crystal Ball triple album: Album: Crystal Ball 1986 - Prince Vault

warewolf95 and joeislive like this.
  25. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

The Crystal Ball outtakes compilation that was released in 1998 is a completely different project than the triple album Prince was working in 1986-1987. The 1998 compilation did contain some songs from the 1986-87 period, including the title track, but also lots of songs from the early '90s.
    Here is a link with some more information about that compilation: Album: Crystal Ball - Prince Vault
    Here is a link with more info on the Crystal Ball triple album, including a rumoured tracklist: Album: Crystal Ball 1986 - Prince Vault

From what I understood these licensing issues exist and will most likely result that the tracks from the 1998 Crystal Ball compilation will not feature on this upcoming SotT boxset. So while the boxset is hopefully comprehensive, it will likely not be complete. But we'll see in about 2 weeks, hopefully.

And oh, the rumour I heard about the DVD is that it contains a different show than the SotT concert film. As some have already mentioned above, since licensing is all over the place for that movie (due to a hands-off approach by Warners back then) it would likely be too difficult to get that arranged for a worldwide release. Certainly for now.