Sign O' the Times - Prince (super deluxe edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, May 29, 2020.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Have you heard the original Bernie Grundman cut? It's fantastic. In contrast, the original CD is all over the place in terms of SQ. Probably a flat transfer.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Definitely.
    Was that from these sessions?

3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Pfft, you and your rational arguments :laugh:

Besides, 1999 was never *my* album like Sign O The Times was. I never really had that connection with it, brilliant as it is (and amazing as the bits I've actually played have sounded).

EG.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. nerd767

nerd767 Forum Resident

One of the songs cut from the sessions ended up on it

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

When this first came out, back in the olden days, it took me a couple of listens, but it grew to be a favourite.... If the dvd is an actual concert ... it's probably going to get bought ... If it was a 5.1 mix, and I know it's not, I would be ecstatic

6. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

My feelings on the album never change. Day 1, genius. Day (whatever 33 years and a couple of months is!)...still genius.

EG.

7. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I wouldn't expect the DVD to be a revelation. If it is an unreleased live show, that does it for me. I'm in.

Prince was huge when Sign 'O' The Times was released. Wouldn't surprise me if there was another live show in the vault.

8. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Wow, this is great news, always wanted a deluxe set of this album, definitely in for this one, noticed one set has 13 LP’s, ha, that’s gonna be a big set !

Can’t wait for more news on this.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

The thought of a properly sourced version of "In A Large Room With No Light" is enough to get an instant pre-order from me the day it is available

Sean, fishyboots, possumdude and 6 others like this.
  10. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

His best among so many great albums, and like you I got it immediately. I had a roommate who was a huge Prince fan and she'd play it all the time.

She was smart and made sure she saw him on the Lovesexy tour. I didn't go, and only saw him once, on the Musicology tour.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  11. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Yep, that's the one. It's a really fun show and really tight too.

12. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

I think they will, because it's "the final album from Prince and The Revolution".
    Dream Factory only has 5 duplicate songs (Dorothy, It, Starfish, Slow Love, The Cross),. All others are not (in that form) on SOTT. 5 out of 18 is not that much.

Remember that they filled an entire disc of edit/mono stuff on the 1999 set. Duplicates galore.
    ... and I would like them to acknowledge Dream Factory as a separate album. Crystal Ball and Camille are too, but not for the general public. So I guess that songs from those albums that are not on SOTT (The Ball for example) will be on the vault discs.

13. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Oh boy! This is mine, all mine!! Here’s my $$$$$, Prince Estate!

14. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Can’t wait to hear the 5.1 version

15. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I'm curious if All My Dreams will be here or on a Parade deluxe box... or both? it was on an early configuration of Parade and it was also on the 2nd and 3rd configuration of Dream Factory (but not on the 1st, which was a single lp)

16. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I have mixed feelings about too much real estate being taken up by Dream Factory / Crystal Ball configurations. If it means certain tracks repeated verbatim, then that seems like a waste to me. But if it means early / alternate mixes of certain songs, that's more acceptable, but still probably a missed opportunity to use that space to offer true rarities. I want to see as much material as possible from the era released on this set (and we know there's tons). And with multiple configurations of Dream Factory and Crystal Ball "finished" by Prince in those days, I'm not sure that any one particular version should be seen as definitive anyway. He was toying with so many ideas, I imagine he'd have different whims about the album day to day. To me, these early drafts of the album are important historically, but again I personally don't need tracks repeated verbatim to fill out these rejected (and subsequently revised) programs. On the other hand, if the booklet wants to include a concise diorama of which songs/mixes were in which prospective album configurations, that could help a LOT in giving some structure to the process of how the finished product panned out.

redsock, Sean, milkshock and 4 others like this.
  17. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

^^ My guess is that All My Dreams will be included.
    Same with all the songs that are on Crystal Ball '98, like Dream Factory or Crystal Ball. If these songs are not included, than we won't get Dream Factory as an whole album... That would be a huge miss.

18. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

19. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

exactly. I like the 1999 set, but SOTT is my favorite Prince album, and one of my favorite albums in general. And I am much more familiar with the outtakes, alternates, etc from this era so getting these tunes in listenable quality is a no-brainer.

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Another reason why it is so unsatisfactory that these reissues are going on while the rights to the catalogue is divided between labels, I think all of this should have been under one roof (and the vault catalogued) before any of these thing were put together.

I think Dream Factory should be acknowledged, but couldn't that be done with a separate release rather than including it here? That way you can have it both ways, archival discs of just unreleased tracks on this Deluxe and the unreleased configuration(s) of album(s) on stand alone disc(s), all without repetition on the same release.

Those song that were repeated on previous releases were different version, not exact duplicates (and they had been made available in those variations) that is not the same, at least not to me. In the same way any song that appeared on several configurations of these albums but with alterations of any miniscule sort (like different intro/outro etc.) would also count as different versions to me, but they would be neither unreleased tracks nor "B-sides/edits/extended" (etc.), so wouldn't fit the format that these Deluxes have been set up so far, perfect though to have those minor variations as part of separate releases (where one can choose if they are worth shelling out for).

Those confugurations that went as far as being mastered could be considered definitive, and the last such configuration before a project was abandoned would be the one. Remember that Camille for example went as far as getting a test pressing, that is pretty definitive.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  21. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

It’s going to all about sleeping pills until this is officially released
    A dream come true

Sean, Jayseph, Carl80 and 1 other person like this.
  22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

If any of the vintage scrapped albums are included in their entirety, I’d guess Camille is by far the most likely candidate.

fishyboots likes this.
  23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I don't think that's very likely, as all but one song were released in the same versions and many of them (five or six) would be included elsewhere in the package (on the album itself or as single sides), so would be an awful lot of repeats. It would be a neat RSD LP though, maybe if they have the drawing by Prince that was a draft for the artwork (the "stick figure with X's for eyes"), and it looks good enough, they could use that for a cover.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

My thinking is that, despite the redundancy, it could be included as:

1. It came the closest to actually being released of all the various scrapped albums of the period
    2. It’s comparative brevity (1CD) makes it easier to fit into such a set
    3. I don’t think it has any licensing issues

But the points you raise are all very valid and I won’t be too surprised if you turn out to be right. The RSD idea is very fun.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I think the word you are looking for is fecund.

Fecund:
    producing or capable of producing an abundance of offspring or new growth; fertile

Feculent:
    of or containing dirt, sediment, or waste matter

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...