Sign O' the Times - Prince (super deluxe edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, May 29, 2020.

1. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I know someone earlier mentioned the possibility of the Crystal Ball era tracks that were actually on the officially released 3-disk Crystal Ball not being able to be potentially included here - and as someone who doesn't know the exact situation of the legal status of a lot of Prince's material and who has the rights to what - would there be a way to still include for example "Crystal Ball" the song on this release?

I ask because I know for the original configurations of this album and Dream Factory, the original track has a little bit of a spoken word section near the end of the tune taken out and would totally be interested in having the full version of this track officially available (and with a more dynamic mastering than on the 3-CD set)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I know SOOT was the culmination of many sessions including the Revolution but as another poster posted I'm hoping all the Revolution material is contained (on hopefully next year's)on the Parade super deluxe edition.

Matthew Tate and HotelYorba101 like this.
  3. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

He probably didn't, he just wants to threadcrap. :(

I have never heard that material before. Certainly not in good quality. So I'd like them to include it all to give a comprehensive overview of this period. And yes, all 7" edits, B-sides and extended versions as well.

Jimmy Agates, 905 and masswriter like this.
  4. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

I hear ya, but 7" singles are a waste of valuable disc space.

pwhytey, warewolf95 and C6H12O6 like this.
  5. masswriter

I don't have a means of pasting what I saw, but I did see disc 3 has single edits, B-sides and extended versions. This isn't confirmed, and I noticed that the extended B-side "Schockadelica" isn't showing on disc #3 which was the B-side of "If I Was Your Girlfriend" and has a time of 6:13.

Maybe there will be a Camille disc then?

But then they have "Feel U Up" showing . . . so who knows?

CD 3: Singles, Edits, B-Sides

7: Edits
    01) Sign O' The Times (Edit) (3:42)
    02) La, La, La, He, He Hee (Edit) (3:21)
    03) If I Was Your Girlfriend (Edit) (3:46)
    04) Shockadelica (Edit) (3:30)
    05) U Got the Look (3:46)
    06) Housequake (Edit) (3:24)
    07) Hot Thing (Edit) (3:40)
    08) I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man (Fade) (3:39)
    09) Feel U Up (3:44)

Extended Versions:
    10) La, La, La, He, He Hee (Highly Explosive) (10:32)
    11) U Got The Look (Long Look) (6:45)
    12) Housequake (7 Minutes MoQuake) (7:15)
    13) Hot Thing (Extended Remix) (8:32)
    14) Hot Thing (Dub Version) (6:53)
    15) Feel U Up (Long Stroke)
    16) The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker (Extended Version

Disc #4 had the Dream Factory track list.

It may be one of the earlier track lists from the April or June 1986 configurations, as"It's A Wonderful Day" is the third track after "Dream Factory," instead of "Train."

Unconfirmed of course.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  6. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Wow :eek:

905 likes this.
  7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

:yikes:

I know unconfirmed as of now, but heck yeah I love the sound of that! I could listen to the groove of TBODP all day long

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, but what if I told you that the 13LP version puts 1-2 songs on each slab of vinyl, specially mastered at 78rpm for maximal impact--the way Prince wanted it released, but which Warners refused to do. Plus a bonus disc that has Prince's original version of the 22 minute version of Crystal Ball.

Yeah, thought so.

9. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

As for the song “Crystal Ball”, the first mix of the song didn’t have Clare Fischer’s orchestration and was longer than the final version that was intended for the 1986 album. So maybe the SOTT deluxe gets the longer first mix, while Crystal Ball stays as it is for the CB album?

Or better yet... why not dispose of the CB album completely? Leave it on streaming services, but put those tracks on the deluxe editions moving forward. All those tracks deserve to be represented in the appropriate era.

sidenote: I had no idea Prince sampled the strings from Crystal Ball so much! I can totally hear that on The Future now!
    Crystal Ball - Prince Vault

Freek999 and HotelYorba101 like this.
  10. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I am generally in favour of 7" mixes being included, if they're otherwise not available together somewhere. With the SOTT edits, they're either on The Hits, The Very Best Of, Ultimate or 4Ever. So if it's stopping unreleased or rare material getting featured, then I would forsake them. But I do like them.

EG.

Surly, BigManRestless and Jmac1979 like this.
  11. masswriter

I respect them and your choice. I have two sets (Purple Rain and 1999) that I never listen to the single edits discs, which makes me miss the strong B-sides/extended versions that are included on there. I often put on CDs while I am working and can't be distracted by having to jump tracks to avoid repetition. At least on Ultimate Prince, they had the wisdom to stick the superb extended versions on a separate disc and left the edits on disc 1, which I never listen to.

pwhytey, jhm, Freek999 and 2 others like this.
  12. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

No they are not. They are an essential part of the Prince story. These are the songs/versions that made him on the radio. On these kind of boxsets (and also on hits compilations) I want them to be complete and include these versions as well. Thankfully the Prince Estate has been doing it on their previous super deluxe editions of 1999 and Purple Rain. And since 7" versions, B-sides and 12" versions all fit on one CD no valuable disc space is occupied. (I wanted to say that this is only an issue for a possible deluxe Around The World In A Day, as there the material just doesn't fit on one CD, but it seems there were no 7" edits of album tracks there, only B-sides and extended versions). I do agree with some others who say that those songs deserve a better sequencing on disc, so as to avoid too much of the same song (but different version) being together right next to each other.

TheLoveDrags, EduM, Surly and 7 others like this.
  13. masswriter

Better sequencing? maybe ... this is like including a Reader's Digest version of a novel in with a "deluxe edition" of a book. They're edits to get songs on the radio. Repetitive and annoying to have fade outs and cuts when you have the full versions already included in an album/CD.
    Just my worthless opinion...

14. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Interesting tracklist. Most of it is as I would have expected it. Apart from, as you already say, Shockadelica (Extended Version) missing and Feel U Up (Long Stroke) and The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker (Extended Version) being there. Though I understand that Feel U Up was recorded at this time, it didn't get released until the Batman era. And was the extended version of The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker ever released?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

True, true.

Funny, right after my post, this thread disappeared for a while. I was wondering if the grammar police police got upset.

16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I understand what you're saying, but for a lot of us, the single versions of Little Red Corvette and 1999 were how we were first introduced to those songs before we bought the album

905, Matthew Tate and Eric_Generic like this.
  17. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

I stream my music exclusively on devices optimized for streaming like HomePod, CarPlay, headphones, etc.

Apple Music requires its own unique mastering for its platform. So I'm listening to a master on the Apple Digital Masters protocol created within the last 2-3 years. You aren't.

18. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

SOTT is one if not my fav Prince album. Warner's did a wonderful job on 1999.

Really looking forward to the BG mastered 13 LP box set. I prefer the original BG mastering on the Euro release vs the more recent KG release.

Will be very interesting to see what is on the 13 lps.
    Assuming it follows the 1999 template.

2 lp remaster of SOTT album.
    2 lps b sides edits etc
    2 lps a live show
    7 lps of Vault stuff?

Jmac1979 likes this.
  19. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Yeah, but what if I told you that I haven't listened to a vinyl record since 1986 and I think those who do seeing high fidelity are a little cray-cray upstairs.

Yeah, didn't think so.

20. masswriter

Hopefully the lid comes off in the next week or so. There are people straining at the bit to share what they know, so it's only a matter of time. We have to be careful here, because someone already raised protest to the Gorts and this thread was pulled. If or when I ever get them, I will run it by a Gort first.

To me, until it comes out officially, it's all just as speculative as guessing the next Bootleg Series of Dylan.

Turntable and Eric_Generic like this.
  21. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

I've never come across a clean, original US pressing and haven't considered buying a UK one. Not sure if there's a particular BG pressing that is preferable.

22. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Agreed. I like 1999 and don't mind some long songs but I felt some of it worked better when some of the fat was cut.

23. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Looking at disc 3 and 4, you might conclude that disc 1 and disc 2 has to be the original Crystal Ball configuration.
    Because: that album already includes Shockadelica and U Got The Look is missing on CB... Could it be? That would be a bold move by WB... to kinda rewrite history and release CB instead of SOTT after 33 years.

It could also be a fan made list, because the Dream Factory songs don't have track times...

Eric_Generic likes this.
  24. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

What are you nice fellas looking at that is giving you ideas about each disc?

25. masswriter

I admit I have my doubts too, though a standard disc of single edits and B-sides/extended wouldn't be a far stretch from that track list. My best guess is that anything else will not be Dream Factory or Crystall Ball, but a chronological sequence of tracks.

Eric_Generic likes this.