Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

It s-simple put-a Fantastic melody and this piano-jazz version is proof

Who Cares and omikron like this.
  2. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Me too - though I love My Valentine. In fact, Kisses is the only Paul album I don't own.

I did start watching the Live at Capitol performance a while back but gave up after a few songs. It all seemed pleasant enough but very samey and lacking in energy. I actually like a fair bit of jazz, but jazz with a lot more energy and without vocals - particularly jazz rock fusion. Sadly, the American songbook style of Kisses doesn't appeal to me. :shake:

3. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Keep watching. Simply for the sheer spectacle of Joe Walsh sitting there like a lost kid in a mall until his moment to shine arrives.

Who Cares, Dr. Pepper and gja586 like this.
  4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Women Kind (Demo / Mono / Remastered 2011)

An interesting idea. It's a vaudeville or variety demo with dramatic, humorous and funny lyrics and sounds.

Lyrics:

[Chorus]
    Women kind
    They have a terrible time
    From the age of 10, they're chased by men
    Oh, what a crime

Women kind
    From the age of 10, they’re chased by men
    Oh, what a crime

[Bridge]
    Burn your bra
    Stand up pride
    And they will come
    When the time is right
    - Right, fellas?
    - Right!

[Chorus]
    Women kind
    Oh, they have a terrible time
    It's from the age of 10' they’re chased by men
    Oh, committing a crime

Go on girls!

[Bridge]
    Burn your bras
    Stand up pride
    Right fellas?
    Right!
    And they will come
    When the time is right
    Right, fellas?
    Right!

[Chorus]
    Women kind
    From the age of 10, they're chased by men
    Oh, what a crime

[Outro]
    Oh, what a crime against women kind!

Credits:

Album: McCartney (Archive Collection)
    Executive Producer: Paul McCartney
    Reissue Producer: Scott Rodger
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Piano, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Remastered by Guy Massey, Steve Rooke
    MPL Audio Archive Technician: Eddie Klein
    Label: Hear Music
    Release Date: June 13, 2011
    Recorded at home, Cavendish Avenue, London
    Remastered at Abbey Road Studios
    Length: 2:10 minutes

Liner notes :

The exact date that this track was written and recorded is unknown, though Paul remembers it is from the McCartney period. It was taken from a safety copy of a demo cassette which was lost or stolen.

Paulwalrus and omikron like this.
  5. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

My Valentine was done well enough so I thought it was a cover of an old standard. Not my favorite style of music, but I have to give credit for Paul doing that style well.
    (7/10)

Who Cares and Bemagnus like this.
  6. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

My Valentine is an underrated gem -- beautiful, understated, with more than hint of George Gershwin. On of my favorite Macca love songs.

7. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Temporary Secretary is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!
    Some are only saying it went down well live because they like it. That song was awful live, and McCartney even made some comment to that effect when he performed it! There's always going to be a rare few that like any song! If you like it actually that's great, because we all like different songs by McCartney. With so many far superior songs he should have performed live, for me it's the absolute bottom of the barrel!

MY VALENTINE - I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SONG! A latter day McCartney classic! NUFF SAID!

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  8. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Some are only saying it went down awful live because they don't like it.

JDeanB and Paulwalrus like this.
  9. Zimmy74

Zimmy74 Forum Resident

He completely loses 99.9% of the crowd with My Valentine. The song is ok, but playing to 50,000 people such a snoozer completely kills the momentum of the show.

10. Bemagnus

I saw Paul play Temporary Secretary live it got plenty of applause and noone was booing and there were no exodus to the toilets and beer-stands. But the aplause was polittrnot exststic like when he played the Bestles and the famous Wings stuff
    Temporary Secretary is a different song for Paul -mixing English musichall and Ian Dury style humour with electronica. I didn t like ut at first but now regard it as s brilliant recording. There are reasons it got fairly popular in the clubscenes. In the 2000-s and is regarded as a cult-classic. That s also the reason Paul picked it up live. To each their own and I acknowledge you find the song horrible. But the song has more fans than I believe you realise
    Wiki

"Temporary Secretary" is a song by Paul McCartney, featured on his 1980 album McCartney II. In 2013, Rolling Stone ranked it the #36 all-time McCartney post-Beatles song, calling it a "cult favorite" and an "oddly catchy electro-pop nugget, about a slightly creepy-sounding guy looking to hire a temp."[1] In 2014, "Temporary Secretary" was ranked as one of the greatest songs of all time by critics of NME magazine. They described it as "wonky electropop that didn't sound so much ahead of its time as out of it altogether.
    From LA times
    MUSIC
    Why Paul McCartney’s obscure and dissed ‘Temporary Secretary’ is the secret weapon of DJs worldwide
    [​IMG]
    Paul McCartney’s second solo album, “McCartney II,” features his cult-classic synth-pop song “Temporary Secretary.” It’s unknown to casual Beatles fans, but a new generation is reworking it.
    (MPL / Concord Music Group)
    By
    A few weeks ago a historical marker passed seemingly unnoticed: the 35th anniversary of Paul McCartney’s “Temporary Secretary.”

The oversight isn't surprising. To the public at large, "Temporary Secretary" is one of McCartney’s least known, and most dismissed, singles. At the time, rock arbiter Rolling Stone magazine panned it and the rest of McCartney’s curious, synth-heavy second solo album, “McCartney II,” as “an album of aural doodles designed for the amusement of very young children” and the former Beatle’s voice sounding “like a cross between an insect and a windup toy.”

“Secretary” was issued as a 12-inch single in September 1980 and, despite the diss, in the intervening decades the once-scorned new wave ditty has become a secret weapon in the arsenals of DJs worldwide. I’ve heard spinners as varied as No Age’s Randy Randall, Mark “Frosty” McNeill of Dublab and Nightswim DJ Chris Holmes (who’s McCartney’s touring DJ) drop the song on unsuspecting Los Angeles crowds. The respected house DJ and producer Dixon named one of his mixes after it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  11. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

When I first heard the song I couldn't understand what the hell I was listening to lol. It gave me a headache. But kinda love it now :)
    It's fun and inventive, with funny and slightly creepy lyrics. It's great.

12. Bemagnus

It is great for sure
    It certanely is different but very much ahead of it s time or as NME said” not so much ahead of its time but out of it alltogether.
    I love Temporary Secretary but just as you it took a while to get there

13. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

I wasn't hugely impressed by Temporary Secretary live, but the sequencer riff on the studio version is excellent and makes the song for me.

For me, PS Love Me Do is possibly the bottom of the live barrel.

As you correctly say, we all love different McCartney songs. I like My Valentine both in the studio and live - especially the megaphone version at Central Station. :)

Who Cares, Paulwalrus and Bemagnus like this.
  14. Bemagnus

I think the live-version of Temporary Secretary was very similar to the studio-version. Guess they somehow had sampled that vintage,magic sequenser riff. On the studio-version there s also some great acoustic guitar

gja586 likes this.
  15. Susannah

Susannah Forum Resident

Sorry to restart this Temporary Secretary discussion by mentioning it a few pages back but I think this song may have been one of the earliest examples of electro-pop, indie rock, and grunge rock songs. It is so interesting to see this song got more airplay in 2000s and 2010s than 1980s.

16. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

My Valentine - A fine late McCartney ballad. Like many others I assumed it was a cover of some obscure standard when I first heard it. 4/5

(Oh, and Temporary Secretary is great btw!)

17. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Saw Temporary Secretary live at the 02 where it made it's live debut, was a great moment for me anyway.... Love the song personally and worked well live.
    My Valentine is a classic Paul ballad and to my ears a standard 5/5 I don't mind Kisses, vocally it's perhaps his last great record.

18. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Some are saying it went down well live AND it's awesome on record.

19. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Blue Sway [With Richard Niles Orchestration] (Remastered 2011)

A great experimental song with a gentle and harmonic rhythm, a fantastic orchestration and a beautiful and relaxing melody.

Credits:

Album: McCartney II (Archive Collection)
    Executive Producer: Paul McCartney
    Reissue Producer: Scott Rodger
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Bass, Drums, Electric Guitar, Keyboards, Percussion, Shaker, Synthesizers, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Orchestration by Richard Niles
    Assistant engineer: Matt Butler
    Mixing engineer, Overdubs recording engineer: Jon Kelly
    Recorded at Home Studio, Peasmarsh, Sussex, UK / Spirit Of Ranachan Studio, Campbeltown, Scotland / Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK
    Remastered by Guy Massey, Steve Rooke
    MPL Audio Archive Technician: Eddie Klein
    Remastered at Abbey Road Studios
    Label: Hear Music
    Release Date: June 13, 2011
    Length: 4:35 minutes

Song:

20. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

My Valentine 4.5/5
    At first listen I thought it was a standard. Exquisite composition, love it.

All You Horseriders
    It's obvious that people hate it.
    It's just hilarious and yes ... humour DOES belong in music. Same with You Know My Name ... when I'm in the mood or under some influence it can be great fun.

Ale-hop!
    Hold it!
    now you got it, you got it...

Temporary Secret
    OH I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SONG!

Who Cares, Paulwalrus and omikron like this.
  21. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Thank you for this comment on Temporary Secretary. I totally agree-it is awful. It is like Paul thought it was so clever that the words "temporary" and "secretary" kind of rhymed and thus repeated it over and over in an annoying voice.
    Despite ROLLING STONE rating it high in their list of McCartney songs and some people trying to make it out like some techno inspiration classic, I think most people would say the song is awful.
    At best it is a failed experiment. At worst it is obnoxious and annoying drivel.

22. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Blue Sway [With Richard Niles Orchestration] (Remastered 2011)...

The promo film was created by Jack McCoy.

From the video description:

Jack McCoy has been capturing the surfing vision in a truly unique way. Using a high powered underwater jet ski, the filmmaker found that he was able to travel behind a wave, creating underwater images that have never been seen before.

McCoy spent the next six weeks creating the music video, while also working full days on making A Deeper Shade of Blue. McCoy compiled and edited footage that he filmed off Tahiti’s Teahupoo reef to create what became the “Blue Sway” video.

“When I saw Jack McCoy’s underwater surfing footage put to the soundtrack of “Blue Sway” I was blown away,” said McCartney.

Piiijiii and Paulwalrus like this.
  23. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Blue Sway [With Richard Niles Orchestration] (Remastered 2011)...

The promo film was created by Jack McCoy.

EPK:

janmaccazwan and Paulwalrus like this.
  24. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

What's odd is that "Suicide", "Women Kind" and "Temporary Secretary" all have Paul affecting an old-fashioned male chauvinist voice stylization and all are mockeries of how men used to mistreat women. All 3 are written in 1st person which shows its satire. Between the 3, I liked "Temporary Secretary" the best because of the music but I'm so-so with it. The other 2 are atrocities.

I think NME went overboard to make a point and to name one of only 3 DJs playing it and one of them is Paul's personal DJ, it shouldn't become an all-time anything. That said, it has become a track that has been reconsidered it's so crazy musically and lyrically that it's actually a bit like how odd Ram was but then people thought; actually we like 'weird'. I like weird too. Weird = creativity.

25. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Suicide (3/10)

The lost movie is discovered after the ‘trailer’ sat on McCartney for 40 years. The longlasting ‘to be continued’ tune perhaps wasn’t worth the 2-generation wait. “Suicide” is one of Paul’s oddball numbers that uses a lyric as dark as “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” except it subs in suicide for murder and both are played on happy-go-lucky melodies. The 1920’s/1930’s style is something Paul’s infamous for, one in a line trying to sound 50 years old when they’re newly written.

The 4th number stemming from The Beatles ‘Get Back’ sessions, John even sings along like he’s heard Paul play this before and despite its poppy and bouncy traditional pop style and jazz scats, the lyric is scary. “If when she tries to run away, and he calls her back, she comes. If there’s a next time, he’s okay, cause she’s under both his thumbs, she limps along to his side, singing a song of ruin, ay, I’d call it suicide.”

Perhaps the darkest lyrics he’s ever crafted along with “Maxwell”, this one’s about a male abuser in a relationship with a woman who keeps coming back for more abuse to the point where she’s limping and trying to run away – that is ‘if there’s a next time”.

Like the other strange and villainous male song “Women Kind”, these two could just never work on McCartney or fit on any of his albums. The melody is weak on this in addition to the atrocious lyric.

Paul would play around with this song further in 1974 for the ‘One Hand Clapping’ performance. Playing around with it more in 1974, he kept the few lines the same and added rollicking “Little Woman Love” piano, and a coda singing “suicide, she’s committing it, suicide; he’s not getting in, suicide; it’s quitting today…suicide yeah yeah”. What an oddball. And the song is too.

Women Kind (1/10)
    Another oddball of a song, Paul’s in another comic voice, this one a uptight man poking fun of the women’s liberation movement in an old fashioned way. “Thank you Hank” Paul says after like he was in the character of some guy named Hank as he sang the song. The joke isn’t worth it though and it ranks at the very bottom of Paul’s barrel of songs. Even as an extra, unreleased for 40 years, it still may not have been worth releasing. Obviously the male chauvinism is tongue in cheek but the lines are as horrid as they were in “Suicide”. “From the age of ten, they’re chased by men, oh what a crime” along with lines like “burn your bra” and “stand up pride”, Paul is displaying the generation gap in the worst way possible.

Using jokes this ridiculous to show how silly the older generations were, only shows how out of the element he was with social commentary songs. Paul almost never touched politics while his bandmates were all getting political, even Ringo Starr on Beaucoups Of Blues with “Silent Homecoming” which is similar to “Teddy Boy”, so a song like this held back just shows that Paul knows his limitations sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.