Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

You know, it's funny. I had always felt the exact same way you do: loved My Valentine (gorgeous song), but simply couldn't connect with any of the rest of the album. And the other day I had Spotify on and it started playing songs from this album and bam, they suddenly were so wonderful. Maybe it was the mood of the rainy day, I really don't know.

Who Cares, gja586 and omikron like this.
  2. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Blue Sway [With Richard Niles Orchestration] (Remastered 2011)...

Surfrider Foundation's public service announcement:

From the video description:

Published on Jun 20, 2011

Check out Surfrider Foundation's newest public service announcement. This PSA features stunning cinematography from acclaimed filmmaker Jack McCoy, pulled from his newest film "A Deeper Shade of Blue." The ad is accompanied by an equally inspiring track, "Blue Sway" by the legendary Paul McCartney.

Piiijiii, Paulwalrus and omikron like this.
  3. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Blue Sway...

Finally,

Blue Sway (Remastered 2011) (6:27 minutes)

This 1979 version was released on the archive collection. It's part of the medley with "All You Horse Riders".

4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Bogey Wobble (Remastered 2011)

An experimental song.

Credits:

Album: McCartney II (Archive Collection)
    Executive Producer: Paul McCartney
    Reissue Producer: Scott Rodger
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Bass, Drums, Keyboards, Mixing, Percussion, Synthesizers by Paul McCartney
    Recorded at Home Studio, Peasmarsh, Sussex, UK / Spirit Of Ranachan Studio, Campbeltown, Scotland / Abbey Road Studios
    Remastered by Guy Massey, Steve Rooke
    MPL Audio Archive Technician: Eddie Klein
    Remastered at Abbey Road Studios
    Label: Hear Music
    Release Date: June 13, 2011
    Length: 3:00 minutes

Piiijiii and omikron like this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

NEXT ONE
    Only our Hearts
    The second original from Kisses. A nice smooth ballad that is nice enough but sort of pales behind the outstanding My Valentine. Extra plus to the great harmonica solo from Stevie Wonder
    • This a track from Paul McCartney's 2012 album Kisses On The Bottom. The record is a collection of romantic ballads, mainly covers of classic songs from pre-Elvis days that his family used to sing. Said Paul, "This is very tender, very intimate. This is an album you listen to at home after work, with a glass of wine or a cup of tea."

Macca's former Beatle bandmate Ringo Starr's first solo album, 1970's Sentimental Journey, was also a similar collection of classic tunes from the 1920s, '30s and '40s.
    • This romantic number is one of two original tracks from the record, the other one being "My Valentine." McCartney wrote both new songs, in the same vintage style as the tunes he covered.
    • The song features a harmonica solo by Stevie Wonder. The Motown legend previously collaborated with McCartney on their 1982 hit single "Ebony and Ivory."
    • This was arranged by veteran American composer Johnny Mandel, who is best known for his theme song for the movie and TV series MASH.

6. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Only our Hearts another great original 4/5....

7. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

My Valentine - The vocal melody in the verses is lovely. Just like the best McCartney ballads, the opening few phrases immediately entice the listener completely into the song. The middle eight vocal melodies are isn't quite as strong but they're still very good.

The backing track is excellent, very tasteful, although I not a massive fan of cymbal sweeps (if that's the phrase), as they sound like background hiss to me! However, I do really enjoy the guitar, piano and bass and the restrained string arrangement is a nice touch.

I kind of wish this been held back for New, where it would have been one of the best couple of songs on the album, so that more people would have heard it: 4/5.

Who Cares and omikron like this.
  8. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

All Your Horseriders - To me, the zany synths and wacky voice make this is a much lesser cousin to Temporary Secretary. I'm okay with the music, as it's quite fun and interesting in places, especially the rising synth noise at about 1'35" and also right at the end. However, the lame lyrics make the singing annoying to the detriment of the track. Delete the vocals and I'd give this 3/5. As it is, it's probably 1.5/5.

9. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

There's absolutely no doubt about that! Also the fact that McCartney himself even made a comment about it!
    But he doesn't with a far inferior song like Temporary Secretary?!
    There's that love for different McCartney songs, because I absolutely love the r&b groove of PS Love Me Do and the guitar solo is great! Give me that any day over the awful cringe worthy noise of Temporary Secretary!
    And that's being nice about it!

ONLY OUR HEARTS - I LIKE IT! McCartney displaying fantastic songwriting!

10. Bemagnus

NEXT ONE
    The third Macca original Babys request was originally on Back to the egg so it ain t a new song but this version is even better than the original with it s jazz coda
    A great version of a great song
    I know it s only Granny music....but I like it

Who Cares, janmaccazwan, Rojo and 3 others like this.
  11. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Mr H Atom / You Know I’ll Get You Baby (Remastered 2011)

A disfunctional medley, repetitive and fun.

Lyrics:

Mr H Atom

Mr. H Atom Lives In Flat On The Male Side Of Town

Well It Has Been Suggested That The Only Difference
    Between A Male And A Female Is One Atom Of Hydrogen
    Mr. H Atom

You Know I’ll Get You Baby

You Know I will

You Know I will

You Know I will

(Repeat)

Credits:

Mr H Atom
    Bass, Drums, Electric Guitar, Keyboards, Mixing, Synthesizers, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Performed by Paul and Linda McCartney, Twiggy and Other

Bass, Drums, Keyboards, Mixing, Percussion, Synthesizers, Vocals by Paul McCartney

Recorded at Home Studio, Peasmarsh, Sussex, UK / Spirit Of Ranachan Studio, Campbeltown, Scotland

Length: 5:56 minutes

gja586, Piiijiii and omikron like this.
  12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

This is not granny music, English Tea, You Never Give Me The Answer and When I'm Sixty Four is granny music. Baby's Request is nice smooth jazz. This version is nice with the coda, but the original with WINGS is the absolute best! IMHO.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Who Cares, Ludger and Bruce M. like this.
  13. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

All You Horse Riders / Blue Sway (Remastered 2011)

A crazy, weird and fun medley.

Lyrics:

All You Horse Riders

Alright
    Now
    all you horse riders,
    come on now
    get your horses out
    Alright

All you horse riders
    get your horses out,
    we're gonna go for a ride
    Come on

Up!

Now... now get up in your saddle
    (Yeah, now)

Take your reins in your hand now
    Alright
    Let's go for a ride now
    All you horse riders
    Come on now, let's ride!

Ride ride...right
    now,
    keep them up now
    right, right, yes, alright

Yeh, you riding fine

Ale-hop!
    Hold it!
    now you got it, you got it...

right...

Now, get ready now
    come on now
    now get ready, everybody!

Now d'you see that stream ahead?
    Alright, we gonna jump it.

Now, hold back now,
    Get yourself steady now,
    Now jump it!
    Now jump it...jump it...over, over, ohhh yeah yeah
    Yeah ohhh you got it right!
    You jump it over

Hold it back now
    Yeah
    Keep on riding
    Keep on riding
    Come on, ride it!
    come on ride it!
    Yeah, you got it now

Now hold your step up now
    Right
    Ride it
    Ohhhh you got it
    Yeah, you got it right
    you got it right

All you horse riders
    Yeah
    You got it right

Now keep your step steady now
    You getting ready to come into the
    Finishing straight
    Finishing straight

Up ahead
    Now watch out now
    You got it now
    Ride it ride it
    Yeah you ridin' now

Come on now
    Steady up now

Right there
    All you horse riders, right there
    Yeah you ridin' fine
    You ridin' wild

Ohh yes, you ridin'
    ridin'
    move in, alright

Warm down now, warm down
    Ready now
    Calming all out
    Slow now alright
    Slow now..alright, whohh, whohhhh
    whoah, whohhhw, whohhhhww...

All you horse riders

Credits:

All You Horse Riders
    Bass, Drums, Electric Guitar, Keyboards, Mixing, Percussion, Synthesizers, Vocals by Paul McCartney

Blue Sway

Bass, Drums, Electric Guitar, Keyboards, Mixing, Percussion, Shaker, Synthesizers, Vocals by Paul McCartney

Recorded at Home Studio, Peasmarsh, Sussex, UK / Spirit Of Ranachan Studio, Campbeltown, Scotland

Length: 10:15 minutes

Piiijiii and omikron like this.
  14. Paulwalrus

I had never paid attention to the lyrics of Suicide, didn't know they were so dark. But I completely disagree with you, they seem pretty good lyrics to me, perturbing as they are.
    The song also I like as a song, I love that 20's style Paul does, he really has the hang of it. I adore Honey Pie.

Womenkind is obviously much less interesting musically, after all it's just a demo. But the lyrics seem kinda clever to me. It's an interesting way of doing some social commentary.

15. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I haven't seen him do it live, but it's not the sort of thing that would be an automatic crowd-pleaser. Partly because of the tepid reaction to My Valentine, I think, Paul only played upbeat tunes from Egypt Station when he toured behind that album -- Come On To Me, Fuh You and Who Cares. That strikes me as a shame, because I think there are far better songs on that album, but we'll get there soon enough.

16. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I'm with you on this. It's not a bad song, but pales next to the gorgeous My Valentine.

17. Paulwalrus

Three of the (comparatively, in such a strong album) weakest songs on the album.
    There are such great rocking songs on it he could play live.

I don't remember anything in particular about the public's reaction to My Valentine. It obvioulsy wouldn't be as popular as the better known songs with most of the audience.

gja586 likes this.
  18. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

To be fair he has played My Valentine a fair few times....

Who Cares and Bemagnus like this.
  19. Bemagnus

NEXT ONE
    A love for You
    The deluxe Ram archiwe was a great release not least the mono-version of the album. All the extra-songs were sort of brilliant to. A Love for You is a gorgeous rocker that has been featured in several mixes. Guess it was intended for the Cold Cut collection but finally got its official release here. Catchy, driving and exiting it is a McCartney rocker of the highest standard
    A Love For You appears on the 2003 “The In-Laws” movie soundtrack.

From Abbeyrd’s Beatles Page (May 5th 2003):

[…] I spoke with Ralph Sall, the Music Supervisor on “The In-Laws,” who gave me the following information about the two previously-unreleased Macca tracks featured in the movie:

Sall was provided multi-tracks for the song, which, while dating back to the early 1971 CBS New York recording sessions for McCartney’s Ram album, had been subject to various overdub attempts by the former Beatle over the years, as has been the fate of many unreleased McCartney titles. “It originally featured Paul and Linda McCartney, drummer Denny Seiwell and guitarist Hugh McCracken, who recorded the basic track,” explains Sall, noting that it was this version which had been previously bootlegged. “He did some more recording at one of the last-ever Wings sessions in January 1981, with guitarist Laurence Juber and drummer Steve Holly, who added percussion. It’s probably one of the only McCartney songs that has that many Wings members on it.”

McCartney did additional work to the track in 1986, says Sall, but then, for the new soundtrack release, came to Los Angeles in late February of this year to add some additional guitar at Henson Recording Studios. The song was then mixed by Sall and David Kahne, who produced McCartney’s Driving Rain album two years ago.
    In addition to “A Love For You” and “I’m Carrying” (from 1978’s London Town), the soundtrack opens with a previously-unreleased version of “Live and Let Die” (itself the title track for the 1973 James Bond classic). “The version used here dates from the sessions for a never-aired television special,” says Sall. [That special was likely “One Hand Clapping,” filmed and recorded at Abbey Road studios in August 1974.] The recording features drummer Geoff Britton, who had only a brief tenure with Wings. The track was remixed by Sall himself for inclusion in the soundtrack. […]

From Abbeyrd’s Beatles Page (May 27th 2003 review of “The In-Laws” soundtrack):

[…] The disc open with “A Love For You”, a track I’ve had a fondness for since I’d heard the previously “final” mix of it on Pegboy’s 1996 “Cold Cuts” bootleg. I’ve heard every previous mix of it since then, and ultimately, the “In-Laws” version is generally the best. First off, the instrumental intro has been changed, not in duration but content, with harmonies preceding the first verse. Certain (high) lead guitar parts following the chorus have been newly replaced/recorded, and towards the end of the choruses, Paul has added new, double-tracked (and a little harmony) vocals, no doubt to make up for his slight mumbling on the original “Ram”-session vocals. And as with the much-bootlegged instrumental version, this new mix does not fade out. I’m still getting used to the new intro, but this version is terrific, and it’s nice to have the general public hearing this song at last (and in a movie, no less). […]

Basic track recorded on October 26, 1970 during the Ram sessions, in the Columbia Studios, New York, with overdubs added in March 1971 in the Sound Recording Studio, in Los Angeles. The track was prepared by Paul and Eirik Wilhelm Wangberg (aka ‘Erik the Norwegian’) to be released on a single (with ‘Get On The Right Thing’ as the a-side and ‘Great Cock and Seagull Race’ as third song) later that year, but then Wings was formed and the single never materialized. ‘A Love For You’ wasn’t on the 1978 version of Cold Cuts, but opened the 1980 version. A February 2002 remix by Ralph Sall and David Khane was officially released in 2003 on The In-Laws soundtrack album, while the 1986 remix by John Kelly was released in 2012 as one of the bonus tracks on the Archive Collection of Ram. As Paul kept adding overdubs over the years, every version of it is a bit different. This is the edited remix from January 1981.

Last updated on April 22, 2016

tug_of_war, Who Cares, Ludger and 5 others like this.
  20. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Only Our Hearts - I'm not familiar with this track.

I like the flute in the intro and the horns, woodwinds and strings are all very nice. In fact, I find it's all very nice and tasteful without being particularly special. The harmonica's an interesting choice - but then if I could have Stevie play harmonica (or sing or play anything on a track of mine, then I leap at the chance!) Maybe I'd like this more if he played it on piano with more traditional rock backing, eg electric bass, a tasteful guitar solo (could be electric or acoustic) and a bit of light percussion by Stevie: a low 3/5.

Baby's Request - I like this one a bit more, probably because I really like the original. It's very nice and sounds exactly how you'd expect it to - except for the instrumental coda, which is the highlight for me, as it's new and more upbeat that the main body of the song. I think I prefer the original; maybe due to the younger vocals, maybe due to familiarity: a high 3/5. :)

Who Cares, The MEZ and omikron like this.
  21. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Bogey Wobble - This is very insubstantial and not especially melodic, but it has some interesting synth sounds and isn't overlong. I like interesting synth sounds, so I'll give it a low 3/5.

Pet peeve - I hate it when the sleeve notes list "synths", or even worse "keyboards". I'd really like to know which types/makes of synths and/or keyboards were used. :)

omikron likes this.
  22. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Only Our Hearts 3.5/5
    Nice song but in the shadow of My Valentine.

Baby's Request This version 3/5
    In this case it's not nice for me to hear his aged voice - compared to the beloved original.
    I don't mind it normally and it's great he keeps on recording and performing!

23. Susannah

Susannah Forum Resident

My Valentine was dedicated to Nancy during Freshen Up tour in 2019. It was slightly jarring when he played Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five afterwards (my all time favorite post Beatle McCartney song, BTW). This song is not well known and my daughter did not seem to care about this one. I like this one. Very relaxing and romantic. 8/10

24. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Best Love

A highlight. A fantastic expression of love with great and unique vocals by Paul, a beautiful melody and, simple, honest and direct verses. It's the perfect combination of styles, a delight for the listener, an energetic but fresh bluegrass song. Bravo!!!

Lyrics:

Things were nice in California
    Loved our trip out to the coast
    Did I say your mother phoned us
    You are my best love

You look in good in fancy dresses
    Wish we bought that one that day
    I even like your old ex boyfriend
    You are my best love

Hardly heard and hardly spoken
    Hard to talk when things are rough
    Can't you hear my heart is saying