Sunrise Records Canada - New Stores opening thread.

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jimod99, Apr 19, 2017.

1. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

They have always had problems getting Sony stock since they reopened all the HMV stores.

kevywevy likes this.
  2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I bought both formats of the album from Sunrise in Vancouver-Metrotown. The vinyl was way under pressed on both sides of the border for weeks.

kevywevy likes this.
  3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Thanks for the heads up on the Ken Burns set...If the price is the same or within a buck or two I would much rather give the brick and mortar my money (which I did this aft when I picked it up).

eelkiller and kevywevy like this.
  4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I stopped by the Pickering location on the weekend for the first time in ages. There were 7 new CD releases I was looking for, but they only had 3 of them in stock... and I only bought 2 of them because the 3rd was ridiculously overpriced ($28 for a single CD, are you F-ing insane?) Then I checked out their Blu Ray section, but they hardly had any of the titles on my list... and the few they did have were, again, ridiculously expensive.

Can't see the store lasting very long at this rate. They're no better than they were before. :rolleyes:

JustGotPaid likes this.
  5. noname74

Without knowing the four new releases they didn’t have in stock makes it hard to know if they are titles they should be stocking or if you have unrealistic expectations if a brick and mortar store in 2019.

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

No Boxing Day sales on CDs, Vinyl, DVDs, Blue Rays.

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I was in Sunrise Records on the weekend and asked about the Criterion Godzilla box set. The clerk told me that the one copy they'd had in stock was sent back to the distributor because it sat on the shelf for a couple months. (huh?)

Not only that, but when the clerk looked it up on their computer, the price of the set had actually just been increased recently (to a whopping $300!) :eek:

WTF? These meatheads think the optimum way to improve sales is by a) not keeping the item in stock, and b) jacking up the price? Good luck with that. Your store isn't going to last long if these are the types of idiotic business decisions being made. :rolleyes:

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It sat on a shelf for 2 months...not surprised they sent it back. lol

eelkiller likes this.
  9. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

The prices at Sunrise are nuts at the best of times. I spent ten minutes in the store and walked out without buying anything. They make HMV look like a bargain house.

Rocker likes this.
  10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That's not how these stores should be operating. If someone eventually comes in who wants that product, they're SOL... the customer can't buy what they want and the store misses out on a sale... everybody loses.

Stupid, stupid, stupid business plan.

11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I always manage to find an unexpected gem at a price I’m happy to pay.
    Last one was Bettye Lavette’s Things Are Gonna Change for $13.99

12. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Hopefully this isn't an indication of a shortage of cash available to pay their vendors.

13. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

Indeed, this is merchandising 101. If something doesn't sell after a period of time, send it back as its taking valuable shelf space. Otherwise, I suppose they're expected to keep everything in stock, including stuff that doesn't sell...? Customers can still order it, they may have to wait a bit though.

As to price, its hit and miss in my opinion. Sarah Harmer just released a new album and its $30 at sunrise, and $37 on amazon (both figures plus HST). Related to the above, i had to order an album that they did not have in stock, from Blackberry Smoke. Dude at the counter said they never had an inventory of BBS, hence the order to their warehouse. In this case, the price was about $2 more than online, which I'm ok with.

IMO, merchandising, especially this day and age, is one of constantly re-prioritizing inventory in order to have the most optimal combination (that leads to sales). Not an easy thing to do, for sure.

14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Tying up space on inventory that doesn't move is also not a very good business plan. There's only so long you can hang onto something like that.

BTW, if you are in the GTA Don at Dixie Flea Market has that set. Used but the box looked NM. Can't recall the price, but it is an impressive looking set. I saw it there two weekend ago but I would be surprised if it's sold already and it might qualify for a 20% discount too.

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

They sent it back. :)

noname74 and eddiel like this.
  16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Anyone know if the Sunrise location at Pickering Town Center has re-opened yet?

Their website has a page showing which stores are open, but for some inexplicable reason, the PTC location isn't listed....

17. SoundAdvice

They've only opened stores in the 3 Prairie Provinces which had relatively little C19 exposure compared to BC/ON/QC. Apparently most of those stores have aisles roped off to customers and you have tell the employee exactly what you want. Browsing/"loitering" in the store discouraged.

Closest Sunrise to my house was closed, despite most of the 100 other stores in the Vancouver area mall being open. Chapters Books was also closed due to the "browsing" issue - like Sunrise they offer online mail service.

I bet 1st day album on sale dates and delivery issues are another wrinkle for Sunrise Canada.

18. noname74

Dude do you not watch or listen to the news? No mall stores (that aren’t essential services) are allowed to open yet in Ontario.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Sean likes this.
  19. SoundAdvice

Malls and record stores are allowed to open in BC.

Sunrise have not opened any BC stores.

Sean likes this.
  20. noname74

Quite a few stores in Ontario allowed to open still haven’t and are doing curb side only. I think the cost of PPE and extra work involved in keeping their employees safe with customers allowed in is still too high for some to bother opening.

eelkiller and Sean like this.
  21. SoundAdvice

3 Prairie provinces have stores open for Sunrise. They can do the mall equivalent of curb side pick up with minimal PPE/sanitation overhead.

Not even the 2 Vancouver Island Sunrise locations are open and they probably have similar C19 flattened numbers as the Prairies.

I think it's liability/PR paranoia or street date issues. I know local stores that stayed open in some way that had month+ issues with stuff like Pearl Jam vinyl or the Budapest Hotel Criterion blu-ray.

22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Mall stores are definitely not allowed though are they Shawn?

23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I was in a Sunrise Records on March 1 and the guy working there was coughing like crazy. He shouldn’t have been working.

24. noname74

The only thing I have seen open in a mall is Shoppers Drug Mart although they are at the front of the mall and have their own entrance so that may be how they are allowed to be open.

eelkiller and Sean like this.
  25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

They cannot keep everything in stock