SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Hire me, I'm yours.

JediJoker, uzn007, Keith V and 4 others like this.
  2. angusyoungfan23

angusyoungfan23 OOOH BABE

Steve, if you were ever offered the chance to remix an artists album, how would you approach it? or are you against remixing something that has already been heard by the public? :cool:

3. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I meant the CDs sound muddled and low in volume. No one has captured the "cavernous" sound of the vinyl, as you put it, on disk. I wonder if no one ever really got a hold of the actual master tapes.

sound chaser and hi_watt like this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

What's the album?

uzn007 and angusyoungfan23 like this.
  5. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Revolver :)

6. tfunk182

tfunk182 Forum Resident

Found it, thanks.

snkcube likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

With pleasure, obviously.

8. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Have a listen to the 1993 Victory or 1996 Rhino versions (they're the same).
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (CD, US, 1993) For Sale | Discogs
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

9. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I take it the sound quality of that video is not representative of Tom Dowd's work? Adding also not demonstrating the effects from Steves's mentioning his monitors were 15db louder at 1kHz dying at around 7500Hz?

In the video Tom Dowd appears to be coaching Aretha on attack and release of her singing style and the same on the rhythm section. This is something I wasn't aware sound engineers got into or should get into as Dowd claims he doesn't want to interfere with the spontaneity of the artist during creation. I see a lot of interfering similar to how Phil Spector dominated the recording studio.

Thanks for posting the video. Very interesting.

10. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

So what were the terrible side effects of digital NR? Was it creating "swirly textured" artifacts throughout the overall sound or only in the high frequencies? I ask because I'm wondering if NR is the reason so many mastered for CD songs' high frequencies seem to ramp up and spike too quickly when cranking up the volume. IOW NR screws up the linearity of the song? Or maybe the mastering engineer got too hot with the EQ in anything over 6000Hz?

Thanks for answering and your dedication to your craft.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The video of Aretha has nothing to do with sound quality. I posted it to show Dowd’s rapport with the artists. And because it’s cool.

Dowd was usually more than “just” an engineer, and later went into full blown production.

wellhamsrus likes this.
  12. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'm curious what your template might be if you had the shot. Would you lean towards conservation with a familiar mix that just tried to make sonic improvements, or would you be more ambitious and open to a new interpretations? Or somewhere in the middle?

13. Steve Hoffman

No idea, it would depend on what the person hiring me wanted.

Lemon Curry likes this.
  14. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Steve , I just purchased the 45rpm Rumours that you mastered. The absolute best I ever heard it. There is actually great kick drum and bass that will make you sit up and listen. I’ve only had cd or repress versions of Rumours thru the years. The album was repressed so many times, I'm sure I've never heard a first or second pressing. Do you recall if the first general label pressings were thin sounding like many later pressings? Or is that how it was just originally mastered? Thanks.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Please do so and while you’re at Abbey Road how about cutting the stereo albums. No half speed master gimmicks.

16. Steve Hoffman

My original promo LP isn't thin sounding at all. We used it as a guide to do the RHINO 45 RPM version.

17. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That seems to be correct, although the credit is wrong for the earlier one.

19. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Did you see the doc. "Tom Dowd & the Language of Music" and if so, what did you think of it?

20. Steve Hoffman

I haven't, sorry. Just too close to the subject matter. One day..

Farmer Mike likes this.
  21. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Ok, good to know, Thanks.

22. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The original credit is for Joseph Palmaccio on the Victory. I suspect this is correct and Bill Inglot is credited because he added several interviews to the 1993 Victory set and was thus credited as remastering the album for Rhino, whereas it sounds identical to the Victory to me. IIRC, these twp are the only ones on CD to have all the parts of Karn Evil 9 sounding the same, because they were mastered from first generation masters which didn't have the fade out/in that was created for the vinyl releases.

CrimsonPiper likes this.
  23. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

24. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Without Tom Dowd, there might have been no "Sunshine Of Your Love". Ginger Baker couldn't figure out a drum part, and Dowd suggested imitating the drums used when the Indians were on the warpath in old Westerns. Fit perfectly.

25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

If you remixed Revolver would you leave in John’s “life of ease” or would you try to replicate the mono?
    What other changes would you make?