Bandcamp sale / fundraiser

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by starfieldroad, Mar 19, 2020.

1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I've found it a bit easier to navigate after signing in, but YMMV.

starfieldroad likes this.
  2. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I do wish they'd separate known artists from indies most have never heard of. I'm probably missing stuff that I would buy.

And yes, I know of at least 2 arguments against:

1. What would be the separation metrics?
    2. It's unfair to new artists.

3. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Maybe a sort feature would work... For a given category you could search by most-downloaded. Then if you were browsing the more obscure titles wouldn’t show up for awhile. I don’t think this is an option now though.

One of the methods I find useful is to follow others with interesting taste in music, especially when it overlaps with my own in some way. It’s really easy to do and I’ve discovered a lot of music this way.

4. moomoomoomoo

I do support indie artists. I've just got WAY too much unplayed music to take many "risks".

5. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Just picked up this one today, Adrift:

Adrift, by loscil

3.5 hours of ambient music to get lost in.

I’d consider getting some of Adrian Belew’s stuff, but unlike most artists I see on Bandcamp, there are only three or four previews across the dozen or so albums he recently put up.

6. moomoomoomoo

I'm probably going to get the newest P Tree & any 24 bit Big Big Train I don't have yet.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Just dropped about $150 there to help out these artists (and to get some new tunes). If you have any titles in your Wishlist, today is the day to buy them.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

If you haven’t picked up the Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets live album, you’re missing a real treat.

Dignan2000 and Walt like this.
  9. moomoomoomoo

I did get the new P Tree & 6 Big Big Trains that I didn't have & was able to confirm were 24 bit. I already had the other 4 BBT's that were stated as being 24 bit.

10. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

i skipped this round, i bought most of my wants last time. think i'll give donations directly to artists instead of buy from their sites.
    spotify has a donate to the artist button now on some smaller bands.

11. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Haven't seen it mentioned in this thread but Bandcamp is making it a temporarily monthly thing:

Support Artists Impacted By the Covid-19 Pandemic

"so [yesterday], as well as on June 5, and July 3 (the first Friday of each month), we’re waiving our revenue share for all sales on Bandcamp, from midnight to midnight PDT on each day."

Davidmk5, johnnypaddock and noname74 like this.
  12. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

14. waaguirr

waaguirr Forum Resident

15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

It's the first Friday of the month June 5th and July 3rd.

16. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow Thread Starter

new!

This Friday, June 5th (from midnight to midnight PDT), we’re once again waiving our revenue share for all sales on Bandcamp to support artists impacted by Covid-19. We’ve put together a list of artists and labels preparing special releases for Friday, including those donating their share to organizations in support of racial justice and change.

In addition, on Friday, June 19th, we’re donating 100% of our share of sales to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, a racial justice organization with a long history of effectively enacting change through litigation, advocacy, and public education. Please read our statement here.

17. moomoomoomoo

I got the email. Awesome. Than I looked at the participants list: Only 1 non record company artist I've even heard of but never listened to, & a few record company artists I've heard of and have no interest in sigh.

18. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

bought some t-shirts from two local bands on their bandcamp, one of them even specifically said going through bandcamp even on regular days is a better way to support them than buying elsewhere as they get a larger cut.

johnnypaddock and starfieldroad like this.
  19. starfieldroad

So today, Juneteenth, from midnight to midnight PDT, and every Juneteenth hereafter, for any purchase you make on Bandcamp, we will be donating 100% of our share of sales to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, a national organization that has a long history of effectively enacting racial justice and change through litigation, advocacy, and public education. We’re also allocating an additional $30,000 per year to partner with organizations that fight for racial justice and create opportunities for people of color.

Today, Stand with Bandcamp to Support Racial Justice, Equality, and Change

johnnypaddock likes this.
  20. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

i've seen some labels announce special deals with some of their sales going totally to these funds.
    didnt see anything listed on bandcamp showing labels doing extra

21. starfieldroad

yes, I saw news from a label as well. might be a bit difficult for bandcamp to corral news of all such efforts into one place - better that the labels run it through their contact lists.

22. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

23. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Picked these two titles up today in honor of Bandcamp Friday:

Weird Owl - Nuclear Psychology (1st run cassette-only re-release, $5 + shipping) - Stoner Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Doom Metal
    niiice. - Try To Stay Positive (3rd run cassette, ltd. to 50 total, 25 gold glitter, 25 pink, $10 + shipping) - Twin Cities DIY, Midwest Emo, Pop Punk

starfieldroad likes this.
  24. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

Anyone know if this applies to preorders placed today?

25. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

As far as I know, this gesture does extend to pre-orders. I put in a few today.