Final Curtain (the Visual Arts obituary thread)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Mar 14, 2016.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

4. MikaelaArsenault

She was in a bunch of other stuff too including Bewitched, Soap, and Barney Miller.

5. MikaelaArsenault

6. MikaelaArsenault

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

World Champion Gymnast Kurt Thomas Dead at 64: 'I Lost My Universe,' Says Wife

Kurt Thomas, the first American male gymnast to win a gold medal at the world championship, has died. He was 64.

Thomas' family told the International Gymnastic Magazine that he died on Friday. Prior to his death, Thomas suffered a tear of the basilar artery in the brain stem, which caused him to have a severe stroke on May 24.​

---

At the 1978 world championships in Strasbourg, France, Kurt used his signature skill, a dismount called the “Thomas Salto," on the floor exercise to win the first world championship gold medal for the U.S. men’s gymnastics program. While competing in the 1979 worlds, he won an additional six medals.

He also competed at the 1975 Pan American Games, as well as the 1976 Olympics. After the U.S. boycotted the 1980 Summer Olympics, he retired from the sport.

After stepping away from gymnastics, he worked as a TV analyst for ABC Sports during the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. He also starred in the 1985 martial arts film Gymkata.​

8. MikaelaArsenault

Hubert Gagnon, the voice of Homer Simpson, has died archyde.com Archyde

World Champion Gymnast Kurt Thomas Dead at 64: 'I Lost My Universe,' Says Wife

Gymnastics world mourns death of Kurt Thomas, first US male gymnast to win world championship gold medal

Gymnastics world mourns death of Kurt Thomas, first US male gymnast to win world championship gold medal

The gymnastics world is mourning the death of Kurt Thomas, who was the first U.S. male gymnast to win a world championship gold medal.

Thomas died at the age of 64 on Saturday, nearly two weeks after suffering a stroke on May 24 caused by a tear of the basilar artery in the brain stem, according to the AP.

"Yesterday, I lost my universe, my best friend and my soulmate of 24 years. Kurt lived his life to the extreme, and I will be forever honored to be his wife,” Beckie Thomas told International Gymnast Magazine.

Thomas was born in Miami and went to college at Indiana State, where he was a five-time NCAA champion and led them to the 1977 national championship. He went on to compete on an international stage, representing the U.S. at the 1976 Summer Olympics. In 1978, he won gold in the floor exercise at the world championships, becoming the first U.S. male gymnast to do so. Thomas won gold again in the floor exercise at the 1979 world championship and added gold in the horizontal bar that year too.

Thomas won three gold medals, three silvers, and two bronzes at the world championships during his gymnastics career; two silvers and two bronzes at the Pan American Games; and three golds in the American Cup.

Thomas was the pioneer of the famous “Thomas Flair” move on the pommel horse and the “Thomas salto” in the floor exercise. He also starred in the 1985 movie “Gymkata.”

Here are some of the tributes he received online from those in the gymnastics community:

https://twitter.com/nadiacomaneci10/status/1269394904238690304

https://twitter.com/kathyjohnsongym/status/1269498195014561792

https://twitter.com/NastiaLiukin/status/1269400899518169093

https://twitter.com/bartconner/status/1269427743281893376

https://twitter.com/WendyHilliardFD/status/1269824918276894720

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  9. MikaelaArsenault

Hubert Gagnon, the voice of Homer Simpson for 26 years, has died

Hubert Gagnon lost his battle against cancer at home in Longueuil on Sunday, confirmed two former dubbing colleagues Simpsons.

“It’s a big loss,” Johanne Léveillé, who gives Bart Simpsons’ voice, said in a telephone interview. He will be greatly missed. He was such a good, kind, and kind person. “

Thiéry Dubé, who replaced him in 2018 for the 28eSimpsons season because of his illness, also praised the big heart of his mentor.

---

“It’s a model. He’s an exceptional actor, he said on the phone. He’s someone irreplaceable. It’s a big loss for the dubbing community. ”

Mr. Dubé pointed out that Hubert Gagnon was dubbing well-known actors in Quebec like Robert De Niro and Mel Gibson.

The septuagenarian was also known on the big screen, especially in the children’s series The Oralians, very popular in the late 1960s and 1970s. He then embodied the character of Picabo.

Comedian and voice actor Manuel Tadros also noted his departure from Facebook, saying that “a great man has just left us today”.

“An exceptional actor and voice actor whom we loved and admired … all of whom we will remember for a long time,” he added. I’m sure the whole dubbing band will cry for you. Like me.”

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2020
  10. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

So weird - I just watched Gymkata a few weeks ago. Not to trivialize Kurts achievements or life, but what a great, crazy fun exploitation movie. As he is being chased through a village of insane cannibals, Kurt happens upon a conveniently placed pommel horse and literally jumps into Gymkata action. The whole movie is like that and it's an absolute hoot. I hope Kurt was proud of it. RIP brother.

11. MikaelaArsenault

I've never even heard of Gymkata until now.

12. MikaelaArsenault

13. MikaelaArsenault

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  14. MikaelaArsenault

15. MikaelaArsenault

16. MikaelaArsenault

17. MikaelaArsenault