Ozark (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dmiller458, Jul 22, 2017.

1. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

If "sane" Marty did not build his whole career on laundering money for a Mexican drug cartel, he or his family would not have to worry about a heinous death... and then we would not have been entertained for the past three seasons.

I don't know how "sane" any of these characters are, but they are "rational" within the sociopathic world they've cultivated.

Comet01 likes this.
  2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Tellyawhat, as I mentioned upthread, I only got into the show recently, so I basically watched the entire series within a very short time. I sill think the 1st season was the best and for a VERY specific reason; Marty! Possessed with a Machiavellian mind (In the beginning) and A pair of King Kong stones, a master manipulator who just KNEW he was the smartest guy in the room. I think as Justin Bateman's overall responsibilities towards his show grew, it was at the expense of his onscreen persona. 1st season Marty woulda chewed 3rd season Marty up and spit him out!;)

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Just finished S3. What a great series - the best since Breaking Bad/Saul and just as compelling.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It’s Jason.

Justine is his sister.

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

A terrific performance by Timothy Pelphrey as the deranged Ben Davis.

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It's Tom, actually, but I agree with you. I thought he did a very good job of channeling a bipolar personality.

rogertheshrubber and Purple Jim like this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Jason Bateman interview on Bill Simmons. Awesome interview about Ozark, directing, ect. They talk about Tom Pelphrey‘s amazing performance at 11:45 and drop a hint that Ben Davis may be alive and return for season 4.

George P likes this.
  8. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

I watched a few episodes. Not sure if I'll continue. Not bad but not great. The characters constant bickering and bad attitudes bugs me...some.

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This does not improve, trust me.

10. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

If you can stick with it, it's worth getting to know the characters Ruth and Darlene:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

andy749 and GodShifter like this.
  12. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Oh God, no!

Brenald79 likes this.
  13. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Since I am still pretty much self quarantined I may go back and rewatch the first two seasons. I dont remember much about the first season so a refresher could be interesting.

14. rockclassics

I am watching Justified now and really enjoying it. I am about halfway into season 5. Excellent show. But I dont really see the connection with Ozark other than small towns and a lot of corruption.

15. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Ben was a popular character and they’ll bring him back. Besides there is a huge clue in the last episode.

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well I just watched a chunk of the interview at that point and Bateman says that they could do flashbacks about Ben. Nothing about him being maybe alive (unless it is said deeper into the interview).

What clue was that (use spoiler thing if needed).

17. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

If Marty was willing to give up hundreds of thousands of dollars to save the preacher’s life a complete stranger then why would not they do the same for a relative? The scene with the cop asking to look in the truck when they were on the road and she refused. What was in the trunk? Also we never saw the body and they made it a point to cremate it so identity of the corpse can’t be confirmed.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Bring on season 4!

MikeInFla likes this.
  19. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

I have a feeling if they bring Ben back it will be because of all the discussion regarding his death and his popularity, not because they planned to bring him back all along. I believe the creators behind the show did state that he is dead.

razerx and George P like this.
  20. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I think the final episode did leave the possibility open. Helen the reason why Ben had to die is no longer around. We never saw the kill and I am convinced Wendy had a lot of cash in the trunk to pay off the assassin else why the scene with the cop?

GodShifter likes this.
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

There’s nothing else further in the interview. Simmons mentions the reddit conspiracy theories that he’s alive and Bateman being the director doesn’t confirm or deny anything.

Purple Jim likes this.
  22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

When Ozark premiered there were articles calling it Justified meets Breaking Bad and reddit discussions pointing out the similarities between Justified and Ozark characters. I thought there were a lot of Ozark characters that had a Justified character it was very similar to.

23. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Just finished Season 3. Mostly not very good, IMO. Really, I've only liked Season 1 of this derivative show, but Season 3 just went off the rails. The "Ben" character was terrible and his story was illogical. I kept rooting for him to be killed and was happy when he was (and he damn well better be dead) - which makes the whole emotional toll aspect of his death on the Byrds inexplicable and annoying to sit through. Best part of Season 3 was the final scene. Other than that - I don't really know where they go from here. Whatever was good about the show got mined in Season 1.

24. rockclassics

I agree...the Ben character was a royal pain in the a$$. For me he made season 3 difficult to watch. The episode where he is killed was extremely tedious. I was glad when he was finally gone. Big mistake if they bring him back. I suspect this may be that he was popular because people were hate watching.....the character they love to hate.

trd likes this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member

Ever spend time with someone with bipolar disorder who was not participating in any treatment? I have. Many times. It's no picnic. The actor playing Ben absolutely nailed that experience. And that's why many people enjoyed watching the Ben character. It was incredibly true to life. That's why Ben was such a pain in the behind. Bipolar disorder destroys people's lives. It also upsets and destroys the families of people with the disorder - if they don't get treatment. 19% of those with bipolar disorder end their own lives. So if you think he annoys you, imagine how annoying it must be to have bipolar disorder.

The idea that anyone would hate the Ben character troubles me. After all this time, you'd think people would have learned that people like Ben suffer from an illness. Hate the illness sure, but not the person. They need all the love they can get.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020