Elvis - The Posthumous Years 2000 - ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 9, 2020.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It's been a long rocky road for Elvis and his fans.
    We've had poor management, poorly considered album releases, constant fun poked, and so many other things it is quite amazing, but at the core of it all is this kid from Tupelo who moved to Memphis and got the break of a lifetime.
    Over the next two decades a lot of Elvis's albums and recordings finally get some really respectful treatment. FTD goes on from being a little bootleg alternative, to being one of the best artist focused legacy labels ever. RCA/Sony lift their game quite a bit with their releases, and we get more Elvis music than we could have dreamed of in 1977.

For those who may come along and are new to the thread/s here is a guide of where we have been. It is very worth looking at, because a lot of the folks contributing here have really solid knowledge about the man and his music.

The Fifties Easy Reference guide

1959 - Feb 10 1964 - Reference guide

April 1964 - Sept 1967

October 1967 - December 1969

January 1970 - March 1974

May 1974 - October 1977

Feb 1978 - Sept 1997

Oct 1997 - Dec 1999

@ClausH 's Elvis album thread from 2007 + Part II + Revisited

This has been an eye opening journey for me, and has solidified my respect for the man's music. The history has its ups and downs, but the music remains relatively unscathed by the some of the darker points of the history, and these guys have given me a much deeper understanding of the career and life and how it relates to the music.

So here we go on the road into the new Millennium with the recorded work of Elvis Aaron Presley (January 8, 1935 – August 16, 1977)

laf848, JonnyKidd, Agungfs7 and 21 others like this.
  2. mark winstanley

January 8 2000

Elvis Presley - Paper Sleeve Collection - 20cd box set - Japan

I can't find a correct cover for this one, so if somebody can post it that would be great
    The albums were 24 bit mastered for this release.
    The Albums included in this set

Elvis Presley - 74321 72990 2
    Elvis - 74321 72994 2
    Elvis Christmas Album - 74321 72985 2
    Golden records 1 - 74321 72993 2
    Golden Records 2 - 74321 72991 2
    Elvis Is Back - 74321 72989 2
    Gi Blues - 74321 73004 2
    His Hand In Mine - 74321 73003 2
    Blue Hawaii - 74321 73002 2
    How Great Thou Art - 74321 73001 2
    Nbc Tv Special - 74321 72984 2
    From Elvis In Memphis - 74321 73000 2
    That's The Way It Is - 74321072999 2
    On Stage - 74321 72998 2
    I'm Ten Thousand Years Old Elvis Country - 74321 72997 2
    He Touched Me - 74321 72996 2
    Aloha From Hawaii - 74321 72995 2
    Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis 74321 73006 2
    The Sun Sessions - 74321 72983 2
    Moody Blue - 74321 73005 2

This is a really interesting set, taking into consideration what is included and what isn't included.
    It appears there were other sets that came out, I assume later that were in this styling but included more albums.
    In some ways I am at a loss, because I can't seem to find this set anywhere, and it takes me to a different 20 cd set that includes some different albums, and appears to perhaps have come out in 2005. There is also a 30cd set that keeps coming up as well.
    Here I am going to go with Keith and have just listed what he has for this release.

The interesting thing is he has no listing of an actual serial number for the box.

Anyway, I know one of you will know the deal here, because y'all know everything between you.

That's a pretty impressive way to start the decade I reckon.

Anyway, if you can please fill in the blanks for this one that would be very cool, because it has me a little perplexed.

Cheers
    Mark

3. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Looking forward to the journey continuing. Thanks for doing these threads Mark.
    :cheers:

4. mark winstanley

My pleasure, and you're welcome.
    Thanks for participating :righton:

Dave112, RSteven and MerseyBeatle like this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The 2000's was a very good decade for Elvis product. Yes, it had its share of too many thematic and hits compilations and the catalogue remained mismanaged in different ways, but there were some outstanding releases (both mainstream and FTD) and the best-ever sound upgrades to the catalogue (which continued in the 2010's).

6. mark winstanley

Dave112 likes this.
  7. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

The mastering of Elvis' Christmas Album is actually really good, and was a great alternative to the awful reverb'd mastering that was on the market until the Vic Anesini mastering. It's from an actual mono tape source, probably 2nd or 3rd generation.

Dave112, Mylene, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  8. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Yes, it would be nice to get a Sony mainstream remastered CD of LOC-1035.

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

We're about to get into some truly fantastic releases. Looking forward to the rest of the journey!

Dave112, RSteven, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  10. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

This is when I started buying Elvis CDs. I was 16. Looking forward to the next few years of Elvis releases!

11. mark winstanley

January 2000

In A Private Moment
    - FTD - 74321 72666 2

Label: Follow That Dream Records ‎– 74321 72666 2, RCA ‎– 74321 72666 2, BMG ‎– 74321 72666 2
    Format: CD, Compilation
    Released: 2000
    Genre: Rock, Pop, Folk, World, & Country

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 Loving YouWritten-By – Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller* 0:32
    2 Danny BoyWritten-By – Weatherly* 3:55
    3 I'm Beginning To Forget YouWritten-By – Phelps* 2:20
    4 Beyond The ReefWritten-By – Pitman* 1:34
    5 Sweet LeilaniWritten-By – Harry Owens 1:06
    6 If I Loved YouWritten-By – Rodgers/Hammerstein* 2:08
    7 Lawdy, Miss ClawdyWritten-By – Lloyd Price 0:18
    8 I Wonder, I Wonder, I WonderWritten-By – Daryl Huchinson 2:47
    9 HeWritten-By – J. Richards*, R. Mullan* 2:17
    10 When The Swallows Come Back To CapistranoWritten-By – Leon Rene 2:14
    11 She Wears My RingWritten-By – B. Bryant/F. Bryant* 1:37
    12 Sweet Lealani (Alternate Take)Written-By – Harry Owens 2:25
    13 Moonlight SonataWritten-By – Beethoven* 2:30
    14 Blue HawaiiWritten-By – Robin*, Rainger* 0:31
    15 Hide Thou MeWritten-By – Crosby*, Lowry* 1:04
    16 Oh How I Love JesusWritten-By – Traditional 1:58
    17 Fools Rush InWritten-By – Mercer*, Bloom* 1:21
    18 Its A Sin To Tell A LieWritten-By – Mayhew* 2:33
    19 What Now My LoveWritten-By – Sigman*, Bécaud* 2:16
    20 Blowin' In The WindWritten-By – Dylan* 2:47
    21 500 MilesWritten-By – West* 2:59
    22 I, JohnWritten-By – William Gaither (2) 0:25
    23 I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen (Fast)Written-By – Westendorf* 1:25
    24 I Will Be TrueWritten-By – Ivory Joe Hunter 3:11
    25 Apron StringsWritten-By – Schroeder*, Weiss* 1:50
    26 It's Been So Long DarlingWritten-By – Tubb* 1:31
    27 I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen (Slow)Written-By – Westendorf* 2:15
    28 There's No TomorrowWritten-By – Hoffman*, Corday*, Carr* 2:31
    29 Number Eight 2:46
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is another collection of home recordings, recorded in Germany 1959 and Malibu in 1960 and 1966, and has Elvis caught "in a private moment" singing on his own and with friends.
    As we have heard from previous releases, of which some of these are included, these are recorded on less than studio quality devices, but they are interesting nonetheless with a glimpse into Elvis just chilling out. I suppose to some degree these are about as close as we'll get to the famous jams in the hotel rooms, and backstage from the Vegas years, so although they may not be super high on the rotation list, they are certainly interesting.

Give us the low down on what you think about this one. Is it higher quality than previous releases? Does it bear more listening than previous releases?
    Let us know about In A Private Moment

Cheers
    Mark

12. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

They didn't know the correct title for this track at the time but it's The Titles Will Tell.

Shawn, RSteven, Dave112 and 2 others like this.
  13. mark winstanley

Well that is somewhat Ironic :)

14. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

In A Private Moment is one of my very favourite Elvis CDs. Superficially it's quite similar to the Home Recordings CD, but it makes for a much better listening experience. The performances are mostly beautiful, and the sequencing is very satisfying. It has my favourite version of If I Loved You, and I've probably listened to Sweet Leilani almost as much as any other Elvis song. Moonlight Sonata is about the only track that I really don't care for on its own, and even then, I often find myself listening to it because it somehow works in this context.

This is the first truly great FTD, imo.

15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

This was almost an extension of BMG's The Home Recordings, but arguably compiled in a superior manner. This was the exact sort of thing one would expect on a collectors label, but at the time of release, I was a bit underwhelmed, perhaps because of the former title having just been released a year earlier, and because like many other fans, I was hoping for something really special from FTD during its initial roll-out, and the first three releases didn't quite deliver in that regard. Nevertheless, this release contained some gems.

16. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

I was more than 'underwhelmed',but each to there own.

17. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I jumped the gun on this one on the previous thread, but I'd like to repeat myself here.

I’ve always preferred In A Private Moment to The Home Recordings. - particularly the two charming duets with Nancy Sharpe, Sweet Leilani and If I Loved You.

The last track, Number Eight (aka The Titles Will Tell) also inspired my choice of name on this forum. :)

JonnyKidd, RSteven, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  18. SKATTERBRANE

Compared to Buddy Holly's apartment tapes which sound great, I have wondered why Elvis couldn't either afford better equipment nor use that equipment to the extent to create the sound quality Buddy Holly achieved. Heck, Elvis' home recordings don't sound much better than mine with my Sears portable cassette recorder I had as a kid.

19. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I think at least for the Germany tapes they probably sound a lot better than what we've heard. I have heard there is a loud hum through the Germany tapes. Filtering that out and the other twiddling they did resulted in what we've gotten so far. Maybe somebody can take a new shot at all of those tapes someday, including using Plangent to bring the piano back on land instead of underwater....
    But I think they did a fair job for the times when they were released.

Buddy used the very same recorder that recorded his early hits, which he got from Petty. It was a studio quality recorder, I think an Ampex.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  20. SKATTERBRANE

It is not high frequency filtering that I am talking about. It is distortion, overload, and a host of other problems. Elvis could have afforded to build a state of the art studio on his property let alone a professional Ampex tape recorder.

mark winstanley and Dave112 like this.
  21. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

It would seem that even if Elvis had wanted a full on studio with professional grade equipment (he probably didn't because I'm sure RCA would have gladly helped him make that a reality), Tom Parker would have dissuaded him to keep control of things. I doubt that the sycophants would have been happy with Elvis exploring his creativity at home in a studio and neglecting them (see Tom Parker remark).
    I do often wonder how things would have been different if Elvis had a studio in his home from 1960 onward. I think we would have gotten a lot more songs that he didn't have a publishing cut of. I would hope that he would have had a lot more top notch musicians coming around and working on projects with him too (something like better quality million dollar quartet recordings would result). Oh, the possibilities!

22. mark winstanley

Elvis In A Private Moment
    We start off in germany here with Elvis having a plat through Loving You, and one assumes it is for fun, or practice as, he had already recorded the song.
    This moves into Danny Boy, and you can here the development in his voice that would result in the magnificent Elvis Is Back.
    We get some goofing around and then I'm beginning to forget you, and we notice that this album has a more natural flow and works better than Home Recordings.
    Beyond the Reef has the piano take the roll of lead instrument and we get some other folks singing.
    Sweet Leilani starts a little rough, but settles down and presents itself quite well. If I Loved you follows on from there, and it flows into Lawdy Miss Clawdy, which flows straight into I Wonder. In fact this often just sounds like a continuous jam type situation.
    We're still on the piano and we move directly into He.
    We have some bits in between the songs that are obviously a bit of goofing around and we have some laughing and fun from the folks there. The lady folks have mentioned, Connie, seems to be present during most of these 1959 recordings, and it really runs like one continual tape. I understand this too, because some friends and I used to do this all the time, and recording quality had little to do with our thinking, we just used to hang out have a smoke and a drink and roll tape.
    I always wanted to edit together a compilation of music and comedy from these hundreds of hours of tape, but it never happened. So I really do understand the mentality here.
    We get a version of She Wears My Ring, and then the Lady sings Sweet Leilani in the lead, with Elvis singing harmony just beneath her, and it really is quite sweet.
    Moonlight Sonata is a bit of fun, and sounds like a vocal training exercise.....

One of the main issues with the tape is the recording levels distorting in some instances, but on the whole it isn't too bad.
    Again, this is an interesting listen, but not something that I would bother to run out and buy.
    I don't really have time to go through the whole thing, but that pretty much sums up where we are with this recording.

phillyal1, Tord, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  23. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

At the end of the 1960 tape (track 12), Nancy Sharpe wistfully says “Goodnight”, as if she knows she’ll never be in the same room as Elvis again.

At least that’s the way it sounds to me.

RSteven, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  24. mark winstanley

Feb 2000

Such A Night - Essential Elvis vol 6
    - 07863 67840 2

Label: RCA ‎– 07863 67840 2, BMG ‎– 07863 67840 2
    Series: Essential Elvis – Volume 6
    Format: CD, Compilation, Remastered
    Genre: Rock, Blues, Pop
    Style: Rock & Roll, Rhythm & Blues, Ballad

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 Such A Night 3:48
    2 Make Me Know It [Alternate Take 3]2:11
    3 Stuck On You [Alternate Take 2]2:27
    4 Fever [Alternate Take 1]3:32
    5 The Girl Of My Best Friend [Alternate Take 6]2:30
    6 Soldier Boy [Alternate Take 1]3:07
    7 Surrender [Alternate Take 9]1:52
    8 I Believe In The Man In The Sky [Alternate Take 1]2:23
    9 Give Me The Right [Alternate Take 2]2:50
    10 I'm Comin' Home [Alternate Take 2]3:17
    11 There's Always Me [Alternate Take 9]2:26
    12 Little Sister [Alternate Take 9]2:57
    13 I Met Her Today [Alternate Take 4]2:43
    14 Gonna Get Back Home Somehow [Alternate Take 5]2:38
    15 Night Rider [Alternate Take 5]2:17
    16 (Such An) Easy Question [Alternate Take 1]2:26
    17 Suspicion [Alternate Take 2]2:44
    18 Please Don't Drag That String Around [Alternate Take 1]2:04
    19 Memphis Tennessee [Alternate Take 5]2:10
    20 It Hurts Me [Alternate Take 1]2:34
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I haven't heard this one, but I probably have most of these alternates on the FTD's, but this is a great collection of songs. We get a whole bunch of Elvis classics that aren't necessarily singles, and I think that Essential Elvis ends up being a really good title for this one.
    We get good representation from the Elvis is Back sessions, and some various other tracks, mainly in the sixties, but with a bit of variety.

So please let us know what this one was like guys, looks like a good one to me.

Cheers
    Mark

laf848, Dave112, minkahed and 3 others like this.
  25. mark winstanley

April 2000

The Jungle Rooms Sessions
    - 5" digipack - 74321 74931 2

Label: Follow That Dream Records ‎– 74321 74931 2, BMG ‎– 74321 74931 2, RCA ‎– 74321 74931 2
    Format: CD, Compilation
    Genre: Rock, Pop, Folk, World, & Country
    Style: Pop Rock
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1 Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall (Alternate Takes 2-5)Written-By – Larry Gatlin 5:09
    2 She Thinks I Still Care (Alternate Take 2A)Written-By – Dickie Lee* 5:40
    3 The Last Farewell (Alternate Take 2)Written-By – Roger Whittaker, R.A. Webster* 4:22
    4 Solitaire (Alternate Take 3)Written-By – Neil Sedaka/Phil Cody* 4:51
    5 I'll Never Fall In Love Again (Alternate Take 5)Written-By – Lonnie Donegan 4:03
    6 Moody Blue (Alternate Take 3)Written-By – Mark James (4) 5:34
    7 For The Heart (Alternate Take 2 & 3)Written-By – Dennis Linde 4:15
    8 Hurt (Alternate Take 3)Written-By – Jacobs*, Crane* 2:26
    9 Danny Boy (Alternate Take 8)Written-By – Frederic Weatherly* 4:06
    10 Never Again (Alternate Take 11)Written-By – Billy Edd Wheeler, Jerry Chesnut 3:00
    11 Love Coming Down (Alternate Take 2)Written-By – Jerry Chesnut 3:27
    12 Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain (Alternate Take 2)Written-By – Fred Rose 4:04
    13 It's Easy For You (Alternate Take 1)Written-By – Andrew Lloyd Webber/Tim Rice* 3:47
    14 Way Down (Alternate Take 2)Written-By – Layng Martine Jr. 3:09
    15 Pledging My Love (Unedited Master)Written-By – D. Robery*, F. Washington* 5:25
    16 He'll Have To Go (Rough Mix-Master)Written-By – Joe And Audrey Allison* 4:35
    17 Fire Down Below (Instrumental)Written-By – Jerry Scheff 4:50
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For me this is where the FTD's really start to show some promise. In a Private Moment was certainly revealing and the second half, which is the sixties material actually sounds pretty good, but here we get the deep dive into the all important sessions work. As we have gone through this thread, I have come to realise the @czeskleba was absolutely correct, that the Elvis catalog is best explored session by session, and here we get a little bit of a glimpse at the.
    When I first got this I really enjoyed it, and it helped me to get more close to the Elvis seventies material.
    Certainly down the track we get Way Down In The Jungle Room, and that just blows the Whole sessions thing wide open, and makes this set somewhat redundant, but this was an important disc for me to get at the time, with my apprehension of the seventies material.

So we will leave the material on here until we get to the Way Down In The Jungle Room set, but what did you guys think of this one back in 2000 ... Twenty Years ago .... Wow ....

Cheers
    Mark

Dave112, BeatleJWOL, RSteven and 3 others like this.