Recent YouTube distractions...?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dillydipper, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite Thread Starter

People are finding more reasons for wasting time hunkered-down in front of YouTube lately, for some odd reason...;)

Lately, in addition to running more aggressively through the artists I've already grazed regularly (in addition to my recent Jacob Collier phase), I'm making time for more long-form productions, including the media-savvy and social-media-aware "video essayist" Lindsay Ellis, whose dissertations on Disney and other pop culture topics suckered-me-in to grow to appreciate her breezy, snarky and well-produced videos:

How To Get A Book Deal in Ten Years or Less
    YouTube: Manufacturing Authenticity (For Fun and Profit!)
    Product Placement and Fair Use

What are you holding back on "smashing that 'Like' button" on these days?

NickySee likes this.
  2. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

There's this short clip I just found with a gopher that's got some dramatic music laid over the top of it... I think it could be quite popular, if more people knew about it.

- Kevin

3. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

NPR Tiny Desk Concerts are always entertaining

4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Techmoan
    History Buffs

5. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

The best PUNK and NEW WAVE collection in the WORLD?

6. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Have fallen in love w/this family during C-19 quarantine:
    Colt Clark and the Quarantine Kids
    They've been doing these every day & they were discovered by Ellen Degeneres (&/or her team) last week. She had them on via zoom or skype - I'd caught them before that on youtube; did not see the show they were on, but was ectastic when I saw on youtube, also, that she helped raise a large benefactor donation for them, too. There was a GoFund me link on the pages before this, b/c I donated. I guess since that, they took it down-? I still haven't caught all of their videos (usually view about 2/day when I think of it) & there's a new one every day! - Enjoy/have fun!
    :):D:D:love::love::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Colt Clark and the Quarantine Kids play "Green River"
    Family Band Rocks Out to The Beatles

7. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

Today it was the latest upload at my go-to channel. I take my hat off to Joshilyn for continuing to compose and upload her Beach Boys tutorials throughout lockdown in NYC.

Oddly, I had great trouble identifying her opening violin tune. I got the key wrong and I got the rhythm wrong!

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Anything Rick Beato. I love his 'why this song is great' videos and everything else he does. I can go down a Beato rabbit hole for hours on YouTube. I also love watching Ricky Gervais "corpsing" outtakes from all his shows. They're very funny.

Sean, mradmack, Joe W and 6 others like this.
  9. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Joe Rogan's show. I enjoyed the recent one with Tom O'neil.

PADYBU likes this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Lord Of The Rings nerd that I am, Ive been watching the behind the scenes footage.

Are we still in isolation? I cant keep up :kilroy:

longdist01 likes this.
  11. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Lots of live Zappa...

Dupree's Paradise

12. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

JCS - Criminal Psychology Series

Authentic interrogations - good lord that is fascinating ....

Joe W, Sean, unclefred and 2 others like this.
  13. Scott222C

14. Scott222C

15. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

The WolfePit.
    He does reviews of mostly pre packaged foods. He frequently reviews cheap dollar store fare. This guy eats so much junk, I am genuinely concerned about his health!

16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Me too, all the 1973-1974 stuff I can find.

boboquisp likes this.
  17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I am not a guitarist, so a lot of this stuff goes over my head. That doesn't stop me from watching it. I sometimes feel like Dweezil has more passion for the process than the music. His stage presence is meh, but he lights up when talking about the gear he uses to replicate his Father's sound.

D-rock and boboquisp like this.
  18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

WhyU - A channel which covers mathematics starting at a very basic level (such explaining how numbers came about) and moves to very advanced topics. It's done in a very entertaining manner. I've currently just finished a video about converting fractions to decimals. If found it a good refresher for myself when it comes to mathematics.

Technology Connections: Similar to TechMoan but covers more general topics when it comes to technology, such as how recorded audio developed, including some missteps (like Thomas Edison's decision to stay with cylinders for music reproduction despite the disadvantages).

Ana[dia]log: Covers analog audio reproduction in all its forms. While it does sometimes goes over the issue of digital, its main focus is on analog sound reproduction (LPs, 45, 78s, reel-to-reel, compact cassette, and so on).

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Gong concerts. I want my own gong.

20. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Grace Potter Monday Night Twilight Hour - been viewing these every Monday during C-19. I may have missed 1st couple.
    6:00 PM PDT/9:00 PM EST
    She does covers & she also does some of her own material w/a couple of band-mates (one of whom is husband) on guitar & drums.
    She does tracks using acoustic guitar, elec. flying v., piano &/or keyboards. Goes about an hour.

YouTube - Led Zeppelin Whole Lotta Love

Sean, socorro and Fender Relic like this.
  21. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I remember when he did a review of Spam products and smeared mayo on all of them.:cry:

22. MANCHESTER MAN

MANCHESTER MAN Forum Resident

YouTube is far and away my favourite channel. I’m a music nut, so there’s a huge variety out there. Like some others who post here, Frank Zappa is a favourite, also Jacob Collier is a great young talent with huge potential. My tastes are very wide - Neil Sedaka does a superb daily home broadcast with a medley of songs, not always the obvious ones. I enjoyed the recent Take That reunion with Robbie Williams, which was very well put together. YouTube also has some brilliant discussion programmes, one was recorded on a cruise liner featuring Alice Cooper and Paul Rodgers. You get some incredible duets like Paul Simon with George Harrison, or Oscar Peterson and Andre Previn at the piano trying to outdo each other. Or the complete Beatles rooftop concert. I could go on !

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite Thread Starter

Young singer songwriter expanding her brand in the face of her tour being curtailed. Brilliant use of the platform for a YouTube-exclusive artist.

24. andy101269

andy101269 Forum Resident

The modern artist. incredible talent. This is what Prince would be doing if he was breaking through today;

25. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

David Hepworth and Mark Ellen hosting A Word in Your Attic. Lockdown interviews with musicians, journalists and music writers. Very entertaining.

YouTube

Also, Lee Sklar's videos are terrific. An effortlessly likeable guy, talking and often playing along with tracks he appeared on. I particularly liked this one...

Lownote30 likes this.