Discogs experiences-postive and negative*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ROFLnaked, Oct 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Thanks but that link didn't work.

2. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Really? It's working for me - I double checked it before I posted it. Let me see if I can find a different way to access it.

Stay tuned.

3. no.nine

@danielkov86:

Maybe this one will work:

Return Shipping Refund - PayPal

If not, there's one more thing to try. Once I'm logged in to my account, if I click on an individual transaction under "Recent Activity", among other information there's a link "Return request shipping refund". This MIGHT only show up because I've activated the service. Try it, and if you don't get that link, I'd contact Paypal and ask them how you can sign up for it. Try chatting online because it seems there are no customer service reps available by phone for now.

Dave, danielkov86 and uzn007 like this.
  4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

You "may" be required to return the item. You may not.

5. danielkov86

Thank you, it worked. I signed up and started my return. I had no idea Paypal offered this. This will come in handy every time I get burned buying from European Discogs sellers.

Strat-Mangler and no.nine like this.
  6. no.nine

Great! :)

But also check the service's terms, because there's a limit. I can't recall if it's a certain amount of transactions per year, for example, or if it's a lifetime limit. You don't want to run out unexpectedly!

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

UK sellers are by far the most careless ones I've ever come across and it seems everyone who has an extensive history of buying from them that I've ever encountered has experienced the same thing. Some sellers are quite good but unfortunately, the majority of UK sellers I've had dealings with have been ridiculously generous with their grading... and that's putting it mildly.

Yes, PayPal's program is quite nice but keep in mind there's a limit in terms of max amount of times you can use it per year (12) and a max amount of $30 per return shipping claim you can get back.

Although I already do this, I am doubly cautious when dealing with UK sellers and specifically request them to confirm the grading and ask for a play-grade. If they can't be bothered to do both of these, I likely dodged a bullet and thank my lucky stars I didn't buy from them. I also insist on having them confirm the exact pressing details (UPC on jacket & matrix info).

See, my latest purchase was a record which cost me $116 (shipping included) from Australia and I went through the motions. The seller gladly confirmed the condition and matrix info. I received a different pressing than what he advertised with the excuse "I must've misread the matrix info." Yeah, sure. To his credit, he did promptly refund me and he's a relatively new Discogs seller and the steps he's taking to make this right show he's not yet used to how transactions work on that platform so I'm cutting him some slack since he's being quite proactive in rectifying the situation. But really,... a few extra seconds of attention would've saved us both a lot of time and trouble.

The only party which wins in these situations is the post office.

Dave and eddiel like this.
  8. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

If you're buying from UK - ask for specifics if anything is VG+

That can mean it's actually VG+ or hardly passing as G

9. danielkov86

Yeah, it's tough cause if I want European pressings of certain albums I have to buy from Europe most of the time.

I usually look at feedback and buy from sellers who have as close to 100% positive as possible. I have asked for playgrades/extended descriptions before and strangely sellers get really defensive about that.

cporcp, uzn007 and raye_penber like this.
  10. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Just got a completely different record (completely different) than the one I ordered yesterday. The person apologized and said they will send me the right one after I send the first back. But what about the annoying lines at post offices in these end times? It's not the money, but the sheer waste of time.

cporcp, Strat-Mangler, Dave and 3 others like this.
  11. danielkov86

You don't have to wait in line, I never do. Just go up to the side of the counter and leave it there, they know people drop off prepaids all the time. You could even leave it out for your mailman to pick up if you don't wanna leave the house...

12. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That's really annoying. Unless it's like a $50+ record they should just let you keep it.

cporcp, GentleSenator and LitHum05 like this.
  13. LitHum05

It's like a $5 dollar record.

14. LitHum05

Even with media mail? I thought I always need to go up. I don't have a pre-paid business account or anything. I'm just a regular guy, not a dealer.

15. uzn007

Intensely annoying.
    From my experience, when buying postage and printing USPS labels at home, I can only do Priority or Express. But at the Automated Postal Center machines in the post office, I can do Media Mail and First Class and other services.

16. danielkov86

Yup. I sell records from home all the time. You can buy a label from Paypal even if your buyer didn't use it to pay you, select media mail, print, easy peesy.

17. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident Thread Starter

It has been a few months, but it seems every time I've had to ship an LP, I need to google "paypal secret shipping" in order to arrive at the page that allows me to ship via USPS media mail on a record I've sold outside one of the auction sites.

18. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Just thought I'd shout out the USPS in the middle of this discussion. I sent a few records via media mail for a small town here in NC to s suburb of Los Angeles. I was at the counter at 10:30 AM Saturday and was delivered to my friend's door at 10:30 AM on Monday. I was shocked. Across the country and in his hands in 48 hours.

uzn007 likes this.
  19. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

You’re lucky. USPS is still trying to deliver a CD to me that was shipped on April 10. Their estimated delivery date still is May 18. Maybe they’re meaning May 18, 2021. :cry:

20. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

There are several paid and free non-USPS services that will let you print Media Mail and First Class Package postage at home. One free one I have used is PirateShip.

It's no secret, it's been right there on the Paypal site for more than a decade. At Paypal they call it Multi-order Shipping. You can use it to send packages which were not paid for with Paypal.

21. LitHum05

Need to look into this. Thanks.

22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

every record i ship gets a label generated from paypal that i print at home, either directly from the payment details or via www.paypal.com/shipnow

that includes media mail, priority, international priority.

also, almost every single post office has a parcel drop. you can drop all of these in there. the last time i had to physically hand a clerk my package was when it was a gigantic box set that was too big to fit.

LitHum05 likes this.
  23. uzn007

I've had a couple of extremely positive Discogs experiences lately, so I thought I'd share them here.

First one, I ordered four LP's for about $25 + shipping. All rated "VG+" with a lot of acoustic jazz (solo piano, piano trio, acoustic guitar). All four were great, exactly what you hope for (but rarely receive) when you buy a "VG+". A NM record that's been played 5-10 times by someone who took care of it. One of the piano records sounds unplayed. This is a seller I've ordered from once before... in that case, two of the five records I bought were a lot noisier than I was expecting but the other three were, again, cheap and quiet and great-sounding. With this order, that's now 7/9 records that were (a) cheap and (b) correctly-graded. Not a bad average in my experience. This guy seems to know his stuff. He has a huge inventory but he claims that he play-grades every record.

In another case, I found a sealed copy of a 2019 RSD release that I wanted. Searching for something to add onto the order, I found a "VG+" copy of a classic psychedelic album from 1968. In the comments, it mentioned that this was a "1A/1A" pressing, and given the relatively-low price, I was very skeptical that it wouldn't turn out to crackle like a campfire. Instead, I got a beautiful-sounding classic album in beautiful condition. If I were being a total hard-ass, I might say that it had a little bit too much surface noise to be "VG+" but that would really be splitting hairs. It sounds great, and more importantly, I didn't hear any kind of groove damage. A couple of times, while I was listening to it, I had a thought that I was listening to the RSD repress, and then I was like "No, wait, this is a 1968 pressing."

A real score, be jealous of me! :D

PM me if you'd like the name of either seller. I can't guarantee similar results (and the first guy was kind of brusque in email), but I'm a happy customer.

Dave and Strat-Mangler like this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I've also had some great experiences lately.

One record came from Germany in a week and that's counting the holiday and a weekend! It was also in superb condition. That's just the most recent one.

My positive experiences far outweigh the negative ones.

uzn007 likes this.
  25. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

I have bought records on Discogs graded NM that turned out to be less than, but more often than not they play cleanly enough to make it irrelevant. The times when it is really an issue, most sellers I've encountered are so protective of their rating they go out of their way to make it right. I enjoy shopping on Discogs and will continue to do so, if for no other reasons the incredibly huge selection and the relative ease of sorting through it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.