Verve Label Group/UMe Announces Chad Kassem-Supervised All-Analog Classic Jazz Reissue Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marko K, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident Thread Starter

June 11, 2020Verve Label Group and UMe announced today the July 31st launch of a new “audiophile grade”, all-analog reissue series supervised by Acoustic Sounds CEO Chad Kassem, featuring iconic titles from the Verve, Impulse!, Philips, EmArcy and Decca catalogs.

Two titles will be released towards the end of each month between July and November, 2020 beginning on July 31st with two legendary collaborations: the Phil Ramone-engineered Getz/Gilberto (1964) and Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson (1959), recorded in stereo at Capitol Studios in 1957 and issued first in mono that year and in 1959 in stereo.

“Top mastering engineers” (probably chosen in “Kassem style” depending upon who’s in closest proximity to the master tape location), will cut lacquers directly from the original analog tapes, with Quality Record Pressing doing the plating and 180g vinyl pressing, packaged in Stoughton Printing Co. high quality tip-on gatefold jackets.

The Acoustic Sounds Vinyl Reissue Series:

July 31/Verve Records
    • Stan Getz/João Gilberto—Getz/Gilberto (1964)
    • Louis Armstrong and Oscar Peterson—Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson (1958)

August 28th/Impulse! Records
    • John Coltrane—Ballads (1963)
    • John Coltrane—A Love Supreme (1964)

September 25th/Philips Records
    • Nina Simone—I Put A Spell On You (1965)
    • Nina Simone—Pastel Blues (1965)

October 30th/EmArcy Records
    • Sarah Vaughan—Sarah Vaughan (with Clifford Brown) (1954)
    • Clifford Brown and Max Roach—A Study in Brown (1959)

November 27/Decca Records
    • Peggy Lee—Black Coffee (1956)
    • George Russell—New York, N.Y. (1959)

Verve Label Group/UMe Announces Chad Kassem-Supervised All-Analog Classic Jazz Reissue Series

2. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident Thread Starter

Those Coltrane titles are a must have for me since I dont have them in any analog form. Any idea what tapes they might use for these two?

Aoide, Sean, JazzFanatic and 7 others like this.
  3. Awesome. I am in for pretty much every single title, as I don't have "audiophile" pressings of any of them. I hope this signals the future of jazz reissues.

Sean, Athalwolf, dman23 and 6 others like this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Right there with you! I kept putting off getting A Love Supreme on vinyl because I had heard it so many times and then the AP 45 was no longer. No more I say, and "Ballads" at the same time, thank you!!!

5. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

In my surface area snooping earlier this week about the dreaded fire, the amount of Impulse remasters lost was unclear. The article had mentioned that several were checked out at the time and thus saved. However, it indicated that ALL Decca masters were gone. Anybody know any more?

6. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I thought the Coltrane tapes were missing?

7. Levi's Tubs

If done well, I'm more excited about this series than Blue Notes. Good quality Blue Notes are more readily available- earlier pressings, reissues, etc.- than Impulse records. This is great news!

8. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I have awesome pressings of Getz/Gilberto, Ballads and Sarah Vaughan, but I'm a sucker for modern audiophile AAA so I'll probably double dip.

I wish someone would know if these will be widely available with Universal distribution (European market for example) or if it will be an Acoustic Sounds exclusive.

E.Baba, Analog360 and scotti like this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Almost all the same titles that have been done before. Boring.

10. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I guess it will depend upon how well they do the titles. If they are better than the earlier ones... I just may be a "A Love Supreme" buyer. :cool: Otherwise, no.

Prophetzong and Kimiimacman like this.
  11. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Both Ballads and A Love Supreme exist in early generation tapes that were not affected by the Universal vault fire. ALS has the UK copy tape and for Ballads, the actual session reels survive from the Naima collection.

12. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

I’ll be pumped for the Coltrane titles and also a good copy of study in brown

Christopher B, joshm2286, trd and 3 others like this.
  13. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

This is certainly great news but PLEASE consider Rollins’, Freedom Suite!

14. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Damn, another expensive thread to follow:goodie::goodie::goodie:

15. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

That's Riverside, correct? Is that among the labels in this project?

16. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Wow - aside from Getz/Gilberto, probably going to try and grab all of these. I’ve already got the AP 45RPM - but doesn’t AP have a 33RPM version too? Is it weird they’d do another reissue?

EDIT - My mistake. Only an AP45 of Getz/Gilberto.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  17. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Well this is fantastic news. I've got several of these already, some as 2x45, but I'm definitely in for most, if not all.

recstar24 and scotti like this.
  18. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

All-analogue Verve reissues? Count me in!

Considering the UMe massive fire that destroyed the original master tapes, does this mean that they found safety copies or even found the original surviving tapes? As far as we know, the original tapes for Coltrane's A Love Supreme was already gone/unusable and the UK master tape was found. Any chance they'd use it?

joshm2286, Kimiimacman and patient_ot like this.
  19. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

What is your sources for those master tapes went up in fire?

20. Levi's Tubs

That AP Getz/Gilberto is one of the best sounding reissues I have. Incredible.

PaMike34, Pelts, joshm2286 and 2 others like this.
  21. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

So these will be 33s? That’s great news for A Love Supreme. Any idea on prices?

I guess Universal is taking a similar tack to Blue Note with the BN80 and tone poet by bringing it in house but in tandem with an existing audiophile vinyl process (MM for blue note, AP for Universal)

anyway this is great news. Depending on price I may grab all or if $50ish just cherry pick. Glad to see that Brown/Roach

22. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I don't think anyone who picks up any of these titles will be disappointed.

I do hope that this series continues as there are so many other worthy reissues on these labels that I would love to see. Only one way for that to happen and that is to vote with your wallet.

23. Preorders indicate same MSRP as the Tone Poets. $35. Looks like a nice gatefold cover as well.

Aeryn Sun, joshm2286, hutlock and 6 others like this.
  24. AmiV

AmiV Forum Resident

Here's hoping for future issues delving deeper into the catalogue. That said, I will probably order most even though it would involve substantial double-dipping.

Fischman and Jellis77 like this.
  25. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Looks like they'll be $35 based on a couple of premature pre-order links on Elusive Disc. I think the Tone Poet model has set the standard.