The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

My sc-1 is always engaged. Lately I just leave it at 3 unless I know there’s an issue with a record and then I bump it up to. 4 or 5, I don’t go higher than that though.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

A couple of questions, if you guys dont mind:

I'm a vinyl regular, listen to at least one Lp each night. My Lps are not all mint, many have some light groove noise. Will the Sugar Cube reduce the groove noise (since its steady) without affecting the music?

Also, can you plug a monitor, mouse and keyboard into the Sugar Cube, or it meant to be used wirelessly with a smart phone?

Thanks for the time.

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’m trying to wrap my head around the web browser control on an SC-1, since the iOS app is so flaky.
    If I set it to 5
    [​IMG]

The display on the SC-1 says “Repair 3 (low).

If I set the browser web control to 4, it also says “Repair 3 (low)”.

If I set the browser web control to 3, the SC-1 display says “Repair 2 (low)”.

If I set the browser web control to 6, the SC-1 display says “Repair 4 (low)”.

If I set the browser web control to 7, the SC-1 display says “Repair 5 (high)”.

If I set the browser web control to 8, the SC-1 display says “Repair 6 (high)”.

If I set the browser web control to 9, the SC-1 display says “Repair 6 (high)”.

If I set the browser web control to 10, the SC-1 display says “Repair 7 (high)”.

So, using the web control, I am unable to get the unit into:

Repair 8 (high)

Repair 9 (high)

Repair 10 (max)

Is this the intended behavior? Can anyone else confirm this on other models?

This is version 2.1-20+

4. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Thanks. Mine is SugarCube 2.2-65-gc86e0f8c-20200606-0223-prod+sc2rec installed a day ago.

This confirmed I was updated yesterday and helps explain some things I have noticed today.

5. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Has anyone compared their unit to a Parks Puffin Magic feature yet?

6. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I feel your pain. Yesterday before my software was upgraded, I was able to enter the Catalogue Number and it grabbed the meta data from Discogs with zero issues. Today, post upgrade, it stopped working like that. I had to let the file record with no meta data and then go in after it was done and enter the meta data manually. This pulls in the album art. It appears as if while the track is actually being recorded the SC2 can't connect to Discogs for some reason. BTW there is a timestamp placed on each file when you start recording it. This will help you figure out which file was which.

My workflow after that is to use the memory stick to move 8 files at a time to my MacBook where I use a product called Fission made by Rogue Amoeba Software. I got it in a $70 bundle with their product Audio Hijack that lets you record audio from various sources on your Mac. I needed Audio Hijack for other uses with my Mac and so I already owned Fission which easily does everything I need it to do. I save out a single file of the whole side and split it and tag it in Fission and save it out as a Chapterized AAC file. I hope Sweet Vinyl vastly improves the editing software because as you noted Precision is nowhere to be found in the built in software.

7. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I am using 2.2 and just tried it -and everything works fine - whatever I set on screen is what I got on SC-1, and opposite is true - if I manually turn a knob on my SC-1 mini, control changes to correct value.
    I did it just to check -my unit set on 3 and I rarely move it from there.

8. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

I'm glad that you can at least connect to Discogs after you record the album side. At least it's working for some of us! It doesn't work post recording for me. When I input the record ID, the screen goes opaque like it did when it worked, but then nothing comes up. I know that I sound like a broken record (no pun intended) but this thing costs way too much to have to deal with these issues.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    FrankieP and Strat-Mangler like this.
  9. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Not yet, but I will probably pick one up in the near future. I need a second phono stage for my basement setup and I just love all of the options that provides.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Thank you for checking. So, perhaps this is something that is fixed in 2.2?

11. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I have no idea. As I said -I rarely if ever change the settings, and engage it via processor loop on my pre - unit itself is always "on". I can easily live without any controlling app.

12. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

I tend to listen with the unit engaged all the time, usually set pretty low on CR 1 or 2, as most LPs, even the HQ ones are rarely perfectly quiet.
    The beauty of the SC is that to my ears it is transparent to the source.

I always save recordings with Click Repair, usually at a very low level of 1 or 2 for new LPs and rarely above 5 for older LPs.
    But, yes if you wanted no Click processing then turning off 'Click Removal' in either the Track Format or Album-Side Format tabs should keep the recording unprocessed.
    Sorry, I have not experienced this (yet?). I do use a PC which is ethernet cable attached to the network as my local drive, which may help the situation.

Enjoy
    Sam

13. SweetVinyl

SweetVinyl Forum Resident

@Hogues - Can you confirm if you are using a Chrome web browser, or another one?

14. SweetVinyl

It appears that the latest build (2.2-65) has a bug for the Discogs lookup which is now for the first time direct to Discogs vs. the SweetVinyl server - this bug appears to prevent iOS and Apple products to not be able to look up. As far as we know this is all working correctly on Windows devices. We are currently looking at this and hope to get a fix out straight away.

15. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I too am having this issue. I am using a Mac and I am using Chrome. It doesn't work in Safari either.

16. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Yes, chrome on windows and a chrome browser on an iPad.

17. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

I can't look it up on my pc, either. Now in every case I started with my ipad, so maybe that makes a difference. Thanks for getting on it so quickly.

On another note, I did just listen to a couple of albums that were not the best quality and the click repair is fantastic.

18. SweetVinyl

It may be too early to know for certain but reports are there is a certificate server that crashed that validates security certificates - so some HTTPS calls cannot be made by another application (the SugarCube) - we are working on a workaround. The theory we are working under is that Apple has very strict security policies and their OS versions have much tighter policies than other operating systems. This new call method has been in test with us for over a month without this issue showing up.

19. SweetVinyl

Our internal testing has shown the MacOS and iOS variants now have catalog search working on 2.2-65 - whereas it was failing before two-days ago. Please try again if you experienced issues with this, and contact [email protected] if you still have issues. If you do contact us, please include your S/N and OS level, and we can investigate specific cases further. At this point we have not changed anything and we are assuming this was network issue with a certificate server Discogs relies on for HTTPS connections.

20. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

You mentioned the iOS version, which was not in the App Store last week. Does this means the version in there now is the current version that works with the current firmware? Thanks.

21. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

A question for users and possibly Sweet Vinyl. I am relatively new to digitizing LPs. I converted about 30 LPs using a Parasound ZPhono w/ USB. Before the Sugar Cube I had not used software/hardware that grabbed the track information. When the SC software does this, the information has “quotation marks” around it. I find myself removing the “quotation marks”. Do others live with the quotes or do they remove them as well? What is best practice?

If others also remove the “quotes” how easy would it be for Sweet Vinyl to modify the software so you could import the information with or without “quotes”? Perhaps a preference setting? TIA.

22. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

This is very strange as my SC-2 has never had any quotation marks around the track names. I am on SugarCube 2.1-88-g3dba9e19-20200427-0035-prod+sc2rec
    so maybe this is something that is inherent from release 2.2 ....
    Interesting to see what SV have to say about it.

23. SweetVinyl

This was in reference to the web browser interface used with the SC-2 software for Discogs direct loookup which was not working for some users over the weekend - it was not in reference to the iOS app or the App store - our iOS app is not in the store and we are looking into that. We were provided no notice by Apple about this - this has happened before as Apple just does things without providing notices and we typically have to spend some considerable time getting to the bottom of it.

We plan to move the all web based functions into an electron based app - this is using a browser wrapped as an app and will run on different devices and not rely on an app store.

While device specific apps are nice for many devices - they have many limitations - they require separate programming environments - different developers - are less flexible and are hard to make updates and changes to and always subject to the store owner (Google or Apple) changing rules and removing the app.

For simple control of Click and Pop removal and Bypass - this is likely to remain something we can do with a native app - but the recording, track editing, and storing functions of the SC-2 models are too much to do on a small screen and will be too expensive and hard to maintain as opposed to a javascript/HTML programmed environment which we can easily change, update and distribute without Google or Apple App Stores.

While we are a small company - the market for vinyl recording on a standlaone is also relatively small - hundreds of users vs. tens of thousands to millions of users for other consumer electronic devices. Custom native apps typically take $100K per platform to implement - and this is beyond the budget of the devices we are making as we decided not to charge app fees or monthly service charges - just charge for the device itself and any upgrades made available for it.

Shawn and Ben Adams like this.
  24. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I hear you about the OS centric apps and the relatively small market for the Sugar Cube vs. high development costs. The reason I was inquiring was your post mention the Mac OS and iOS apps were working with Discogs again. The iOS App was back in the App Store today. I downloaded it but wasn’t going to try it until I found out whether it was current. The email I got last week with my unit made it sound like it disappeared and Sweet Vinyl didn’t do it. I was checking to see if Sweet Vinyl had put it back, or it mysteriously reappeared. I won’t bother using it now based on it’s short future.

25. SweetVinyl

Thanks Jim - just to be clear - I was referring about OS versions - MAC and iOS using a browser as this was the previous thread we were addressing - not an iOS app on iOS - good to know you were able to get the app from the store - as you have an SC-2 I believe the iOS app is not very useful for recording features and why we are asking users to use the Chrome browser version for now when connecting to the device.