Rock and Roll Hall Fame Class of 2020 is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

That’s largely why the current Chairman, John Sykes, is trying to push the Hall towards later eras.

Me, I understand and even support moving the Hall forward, it needs to in order to survive. I also support diversifying the nominating and voting committees, which can help broaden the scope. It also concerns me, since there are key artists still awaiting recognition (not to mention that a few of the groups I’m trying to bring recognition for are pre-70s).

A lot of Hall Watchers have suggested a Veteran’s Committee, and honestly, I think the idea is at least worth considering.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Exile might deserve Country HOF but not Rock HOF.

Their presence on the pop charts was minimal: one real hit single and that's all. One album that hit the top 20.

Lotsa success on country charts, though...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Because the Rock Hall needs more barely remembered acts from the 50s/60s? :wtf:

There are a small # of non-inducted 50s/60s acts with credible claims, but I think they've already scraped most of that barrel clean.

I don't think a "veterans committee" is gonna get the Monkees in there! :shrug:

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I find myself feeling less angst when thinking about the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

There’s something to be said for an inclusive title (Songwriters) that automatically opens you to any genre, versus “Rock & Roll” which has become the subject of endless frustration when trying to define what any given person feels “Rock & Roll” means.

I wonder what artists would say, given a choice... “Would you rather be inducted into the RRHOF, or the Songwriters Hall of Fame?”

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

And again, “Rock And Roll” and “Rock” aren’t necessarily the same thing.

I will say, no, an artist’s impact is not diminished for the wait. But I will say this: artists should be able to live to see their induction and enjoy it. Going back to the groups I’m trying to get recognized, all the Belmonts were still alive in 1989 when Dion was inducted; now, only one remains, and he’s turning 80 this year. 1995, all the Mothers and all of Big Brother were alive when Zappa and Janis were inducted, and now half of both bands are dead, with at least four members between both in their eighties now (two approaching 90). Can you understand why I’m trying hard now? Or why others are for other acts? Going back to the Monkees. I’m not a mega fan by any means, and it would one thing if Davy or Peter died before or right as the Monkees became eligible. But exactly twenty years passed prior to Davy’s death. Come on.

WLL, drift and Hep Alien like this.
  6. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

I didn't think Dio had a legit case until Deep Purple put Coverdale in. Then I really started hating Sharon Osbourne even more for vetoing any chance of Black Sabbath putting Dio in with them...

7. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Totally a true History. Goin back.

Eventually it'll all be in there. With time.

Right now its a popularity contest of this moments hot thing. Abba Bon Jovi both examples. But more a readers digest entertainment tonight people mag Jann Weiner perspective and how roll stone is run. Trending now. Which inthe next minute becomes history which kind of fits because rock and roll is and was a trend in music so maybe perfect but of course music is subjective and we all have our favorites and the stuff we hate eventually it'll all go in and just be history

8. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

At this point in time. Nobody cares about music acts from the 50's and early 60's
    except well known that have been already inducted..
    What it seems there running out viable inductees..
    Maybe it should close down.. as most people consider the whole thing a joke.

9. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...They only had one particular pop hit. Country hits, yes.

10. readr

readr Forum Resident

I ready for some of the incredible 90’s acts...
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Weezer
    Alice In Chains
    Foo Fighters
    Smashing Pumpkins

11. drift

drift Forum Resident

Pantera

12. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

If I was in a band that was considered for the HoF I’d tell them to bugger off.

scottp and thnkgreen like this.
  13. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I liked seeing that brought up about the " rock'roll "/" rock " split.
    I would personally like (for his 50s/60s material) Neil Sedaka indicted.

14. I'd like to see him indicted too. And hopefully he'd get the book thrown at him.

15. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Ya, I Kihn dig it. They don't write'm like that anymore.:righton:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  16. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Ha ha. I either made a mistake, of the Autocorrect did. " Inducted ". That's what I meant.

17. Detroit Rock Citizen

[​IMG]

Dudley Morris and PhoenixWoman like this.
  18. Stephen Grayce

Stephen Grayce Well-Known Member

It hasn't been that relevant to begin with. It seemed for a very long time that the final criteria for entry was that publisher Jann Wenner liked them, and still does to some extent.

19. Tyler Mills

Tyler Mills Forum Resident

It just sounds like you simply hate technically amazing/proficient and "pretty/decorative" singing. Unfortunate, but ah, well. Different strokes.

20. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

To me, it's technical skill with no soul. She has great chops, no doubt. But I rarely have heard her use those chops to serve a song. Rather, it's to bring attention to her technical skill.

Range isn't what makes a singer great, it's using whatever range you have to deliver real emotion and having a musician's sense of phrasing to pull everything together. Billie Holiday probably had a quarter of Mariah's range, but has left a far more indelible mark.

(As for me not liking "amazing/proficient and 'pretty/decorative' signing", I got a shelf full of Aretha Franklin and Dusty Springfield that says otherwise. :))

But that's just my subjective opinion, and I certainly leave room for folks who enjoy the thrill of a big, expansive voice.

My bigger issue, when I think of her, is with the style of singing she birthed - the "American Idol" type of singer who's all about swooping through octaves and creating vocal "moments" that are supposed to generate an "Oh my god, what a voice!" response. That's not her fault. A lot of great artists end up unleashing a wave of crap imitators (Nirvana being a prime example).

But, like I said, follow your bliss. She's super-talented and I have no beef with anyone who loves her. Just not my thing.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Airing on HBO & HBO Max November 7th 8:00 PM. Depeche Mode looks to be the only highlight of this year's event I'm interested in - maybe Nine Inch Nails a little, too, but D.M. I remember voting for 2 or 3 (?) years ago when votes were open to public (received in an e-mail) & they didn't get in that time-I think it was first year eligible. I'm imagining it will be via zoom (or whichever that type service) links/connections (as other awards' events have been), but I don't see such information listed. Some venues have been opening up for bands to perform live-stream gigs, sans audience, so perhaps some performances will be done so. Maybe some of you will get more info. from the trailer, as mine was doing a lot of buffering.
    Trailer w/info. link, below:
    Class of 2020 Inductees | Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Detroit Rock Citizen

Does anyone know when the 2021 nominations are coming out?

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Who from DM is in LA and who's in UK right now? Best hope is full band like the Rolling Stones zoom thing from different countries. Is Gore/Gahan are both in LA maybe they can do a quasi acoustic duo thing.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  24. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Based on the trailer, I get the impression that everything is being professionally pre-recorded. So using an live service like Zoom, etc. seems unlikely. Couldn't get a sense from the trailer if any performances will take place. I'm getting the vibe that the show will mostly consist of the same type of clips packages they typically would have shown before the person selected to induct each band/person would come out when they were able to do the show in person (maybe the clips will be a bit longer given the format).

And the trailer from the Rock Hall site does buffer a lot, just have to let it load for a while before you start watching.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Same question.

My pent up outrage needs an outlet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.