Unreleased 6/6/1962 Beatles EMI Session Tape, Geoff Emerick*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Jun 13, 2020.

1. iDigital

iDigital Forum Resident Thread Starter

A tape of a unreleased Beatles 1963 jam session, done before Ringo joined, recorded at EMI studios, is now the centre of a legal battle, between The Emerick Family Estate and Universal Music Group, UMG is demanding that the family of Geoff Emerick hand the unreleased tape back to them, the court hearing is for this coming Tuesday, EMI told Geoff at the time of the recording to destroy it, but he took it home and kept it instead, it is known that “ Love Me Do “ is one of the recorded songs on the tape itself and that the Emerick family are citing “ Finders Law “ The tape has an estimated value of $5,000,000.

2. iDigital

Source is “ The Daily Mail “

3. vulcangascompany

vulcangascompany Forum Resident

The tape has an estimated value of $5,000,000

Yeah right :laugh: (in lawyers/crazy journo heads only)..

4. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Why am I not surprised! They have a history of running 'David and Goliath' type stories about The Beatles. I remember years ago they ran several persistent stories about about The Beatles demanding that Mal Evans widow hand over some handwritten lyrics that she had.

That said, this does sound interesting. I wonder who the law will rule in favour of.

5. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Ringo joined in August, 1962.

Good ol' Daily Mail.

6. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Is that's when they played Besame Mucho on acid for several hours with members of Grateful Dead until George Martin walked out? Sounds interesting.

smoke, whatprogress, tedg65 and 46 others like this.
  7. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

So they got the date wrong, probably a different band as well and maybe not a real tape but an authentic 1963 MP3.

8. iDigital

I should have said pre 1063, sorry for the confusion

9. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Ah, that explains it - there was a busking duo in 1063 known as "Bættles" who performed in front of the Abbey of Bec in honour of Anselm who was later to become archbishop of Canterbury.

10. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

1063....A.D......OR.....B.C.?!!

11. arnt

arnt Forum Resident

You can buy more than 8300 super deluxe Flaming Pie boxes for that amount of money :D

12. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

"Finders Law", there's no such thing what a load of ball cox, Emerick stole the tape.

13. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

It's in the Heil - that's all you need to know.:sigh:

14. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Maybe this is the June 6th session tape that Love Me Do and Besamae Mucho came from in anthology 1

15. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Surely the band had plenty opportunity to jam during their first EMI session. I wonder if they jammed during Decca audition as well.

theMess, Steve E., joshm2286 and 4 others like this.
  16. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

If '12 Bar Original' is anything to go by, The Beatles jamming is not an attractive prospect, although obviously interesting historically.

17. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Could Tip Of My Tongue be among the licks they played while jamming? :)

18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

What kind of music did they play in 1063, Baroque? I hope the whole idea ain't broke!!!

19. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I knew it! The Beatles invented Baroque.

20. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

1963 tape before Ringo joined? If it's pre-Ringo, it must be from the June 1962 EMI session.

21. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

This is not going to be some loose jam. It'll be the Beatles with Pete Best working on one of the sides they recorded with Martin. Or previewing songs for that purpose. I don't know how one puts a price tag on such things, but I'd call it pretty darn precious. Good work for Geoff not burning history.

But the first thought I had when I read the story was... it's Pete, not Ringo. That alone may be enough for us to never see it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  22. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Now that's what I call The Early Beatles!!! :tiphat:

23. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

"12 bar" popped into my head when I read the title of the thread. I was excited when I finally had the chance to hear it years ago and was pretty disappointed when I did. Part of the reason I hope Carnival of Light never gets released. The mythology of the song is probably better than the song itself.

24. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I wonder who did the filming? Someone was thinking it was a moment worthy of a film camera. Brian?

Edit: It's not very interesting, to me anyway, whether Geoff's estate or Universal wins the ownership battle. As a fan, I want to see the film, first and foremost. But then I'm interested in it's history - who filmed it, and how it ultimately ended up in Geoff's possession. If one reads between the lines, it seems like it was archived and he simply took it home when he was asked instead to destroy it. But when did that happen? Years later? Where is Mr. Lewisohn??

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    joshm2286 and alexpop like this.
  25. Abbeysound

Abbeysound New Member

So, let's look at this. Has to be 1962 not 63 if it's pre-Ringo. Surely audio not video for that era? And why would Emerick be there at that point - Normal Smith was the engineer at that point, as Emerick wouldn't be at EMI yet? Something really doesn't add up. Really hope I'm wrong but this could end up being very disappointing

Marty T, ZackyDog, Parakeeper and 8 others like this.