A Musical Tour of the World: All Countries A-Z One Per Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HitAndRun, Jun 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jslcaballo

jslcaballo Oh the ritual when I lay down your crooked arm

2. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Still on Argentina? Almendra's debut album is a classic. The opening track is not representative of the album as a whole, but it's arguably one of the best cuts:

Hombre, bekayne, HitAndRun and 2 others like this.
  3. Flaevius

Flaevius Left of the dial

I think this is an excellent idea for a thread and will contribute where I can. Moving outside of comfort zones and challenging perceptions around music may lead to a number of interesting discoveries.

HitAndRun likes this.
  4. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

People are posting some good pop rock music from Argentina, and before the day ends I'd like to recall there is a pretty unique pop song by the great León Gieco that lyrically has a great touch of brilliance and turn it real fun to listen to, I always LOL when hearing its words... love it! Literally all of the words end with the letter "o":

Leon Gieco - Ojo con los Orozco

HitAndRun likes this.
  5. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow! Lots of posts. I thought I was up to date. I will catch up on the posts sometime tomorrow, and will move onto the next country

For me, this thread is a learning experience. I'm both discovering new music and improving my ability to find new music of a wider range. For probably most of the countries in the world I can't name an artist from that country. And for many of the countries where I can, I might be only able to name one or two.

I've been doing a lot of research, and have short-lists for artists a fair way ahead.

My plan was to start establishing a regular time to move onto the next country. But, tomorrow morning I plan to go out early and arrive back maybe 10am UK time. So, the next country post should be about then.

willy likes this.
  6. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Hilarious! And nice video btw.

HitAndRun and Rick Robson like this.
  7. HitAndRun

Yes, I didn't understand the words of that video, but it looks hilarious.

Today's country is Armenia.

I'm hoping to approach countries in different ways. Particularly those like Armenia where I was not really familiar with any artists so that I had to research. I've been getting better at identifying good sources to find talented artists. Often it seems to be a matter of finding someone with taste who has written a page recommending artists from a country to find out.

However, things are still tricky. I found some very interesting music with dance on a page of Armenian music, but on looking further, the artist appears to be an expatriate Armenian artist living in Lebanon. It's interesting how international many artists are. Fortunately I had a short list here, so I don't need to panic and choose one of the generic dance pop songs that are easiest to find.

So, instead I'm going to go for

Համբույրներ by Vordan Karmir

The name of the band means Armenian cochineal, a red food colouring made from insects. The band was formed in 2005, and is still active, releasing their most recent album in 2005.

They have released a song marking the 100th anniversary of the Armenian genocide.

Another track I found that I particularly liked is this one, by singer-songwriter Lilit Pipoyan called I am Turning Into You

Lilit Pipoyan - I am Turning Into You

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  8. HitAndRun

Lower left looks a bit like Roger Daltry, and top right Pete Townshend. But, the music is more Beatles than Who. :D

Wright likes this.
  9. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Hey I finally found a "non-Beatlemaniac" on these forum ha hah .. ;)

HitAndRun likes this.
  10. Flaevius

If you'll allow me a small indulgence for Armenia, I have a few links to share:

The Bambir, a longstanding rock act of 40+ years that is now second generational. The titling on this one is in English, but the vocals are Armenian. Really nice blend of more traditional folk sounds and a harder-edged rock approach.

Vostan Hayots - Gacek Tesek
    Vostan Hayots, another longstanding act. Riff starts off like an early Metallica thrash metal track and the vocal sounds like it was recorded in a shed :D. Other videos I've seen from Vostan Hayots are more melodic, but decent quality material requires a bit of searching.

Gata Band ft. Joss Stone - Armenia
    This is a combo effort between Armenian musicians and Joss Stone. She embarked on a world tour a few years ago where she'd collaborate with local artists and contribute vocally in the native tongue. Props to her for this and taking on Armenian.

Relaxing Armenian music with duduk
    And last of all, a full album's worth of the duduk, a woodwind instrument made of apricot wood native to Armenia and which is played across the Caucasus and beyond. I find it a rich sound and immediately transports me back to travels I've experienced in the Balkans particularly. Armenia has long been on my 'hitlist'. This is not everyday music for me, I have to be in a certain mood - but when I am, I could listen to this for hours.

willy, Jamsterdammer and HitAndRun like this.
  11. HitAndRun

I particularly liked the track with Joss Stone out of those. I'm going to listen to a bit more Gata Band music.

This is nice:

EDIT: In fact, I really like that. I've contacted the artist on Facebook to ask how I can buy their music. I couldn't find it on Amazon/Bandcamp/etc.

EDIT: Առավոտ լուսո...Ներսես Շնորհալի

EDIT: And this auto-played on youtube after the previous Gata Band song. Ծամիս թորգե - ԳԱԹԱ բենդ և Անդրանիկ սարկավագ Մանուկյան I did do research for Armenia, but as always will have missed a lot.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  12. Flaevius

I had a look too and also couldn't see any obvious way to purchase their music. They have some material for free listening on SoundCloud, including the original version of the collaboration song (Donig Yar): GATA band

In researching, I came across quite a useful resource too - MusicOfArmenia's Youtube channel: YouTube. Playlists for various forms of music also included.

HitAndRun likes this.
  13. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

great thread idea! ill listen for sure

willy, Lance LaSalle and HitAndRun like this.
  14. HitAndRun

I can't edit my post above, so will post again. This is beautiful:

I found it on the Music of Armenia playlist for 'folk' mentioned by @Flaevius above.

Dr. Bogenbroom and Rick Robson like this.
  15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

They don’t sound as much like The Beatles as Los Shakers........but this thread is a long way from getting to Uruguay.

16. Jamsterdammer

Great music, as always!

Perhaps the single most famous piece of Armenian music, which will be instantly recognized by millions across the globe is Aram Khachaturian's "Sabre Dance" (Սուսերով պար) from his famous "Gayane" (Գայանե) ballet.

Khachaturian composed the first Armenian ballet music, symphony, concerto, and film score. He is considered the most renowned Armenian composer of the 20th century. While following the established musical traditions of Russia, he broadly used Armenian and, to lesser extent, Caucasian, Eastern and Central European, and Middle Eastern peoples' folk music in his works. He is highly regarded in Armenia, where he is considered a "national treasure". (Wikipedia)

Dorelda_Doremus and HitAndRun like this.
  17. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I can't decide whether this one is more Beatley or Kinks-like:

I can really recommend this, their debut album, though: it's just another great '60s pop song after the other.

By the way, what happens if we linger on certain countries even as the thread has moved on?

LandHorses and HitAndRun like this.
  18. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Great piece of music, the flutes melodies... the atmosphere .... thanks HitAndRun!

HitAndRun likes this.
  19. HitAndRun

I don't think that would be too much of a problem as long as there aren't too many previous day posts discussing too many countries too far back. As that might get a bit confusing.

We could stop after every letter of the alphabet and then have a general discussion (or just plain rest). But, there are 26 letter in the alphabet, so that would be nearly an extra month just for that. Shall we just see what happens?

I got it from the playlist that @Flaevius posted! :D

Wright and Rick Robson like this.
  20. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

That sounds fine to me. But perhaps other ideas might come on the run too.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    HitAndRun likes this.
  21. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

You know ... not everyone in the Third World has the same Internet service as you in Leicester. I mean, having an apartment in front of the beach but in a small town has its "price"... due to air salt, dust and humidity I've already ruined 2 Notebooks after having to fix twice the same desktop computer and losing other one permanently ruined, all that for only 6 years... ha haha!:shrug: So, Internet now just and only in our cell phones, but man what a pain in the ars when we run off with the expensive franchise offered by any of our local operators :realmad: . And, as if all that was nothing, we are about to move a judicial action against one of them for serious and grave irregularities, something damn common among the 3 big Cell phone operators in Rio de Janeiro. THAT'S one of the prices people srill have to pay for living in the Third World man, but ultimately we get over it fine, alive and kicking :righton:.

willy, HitAndRun and Jamsterdammer like this.
  22. Jamsterdammer

Hahaha! Same here. I'm currently in Caracas, Venezuela, with hopelessly slow Internet. And, oh yeah, the power just went off, so I am typing this on my laptop on batteries. Thankfully, the internet provider still seems to have power....

willy and HitAndRun like this.
  23. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Lucky you man .. and damn courageous to live there...

Cheers!

HitAndRun and Jamsterdammer like this.
  24. Jamsterdammer

I think you need to consider what to do when we get to countries with music traditions that are globally known. With those you may want to consider waiting 2-3 days before starting another country. Brazil would be one of the first to which this would definitely apply with its continent-sized musical traditions. And where to start with UK (even if split in its constituent parts) or US?

panasoffkee and HitAndRun like this.
  25. Jamsterdammer

Believe me, I'd rather be on the beach in Brasil.....:laugh:

HitAndRun and Rick Robson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.