Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Nice catch. Intentional, I reckon. A foreshadowing maybe, that "things don't go the way they are supposed to go" in this film, if you see what I mean.

beccabear67 likes this.
  2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Or possible, both guys have pretty much past their "expiration date" in modern hollywood and are attempting to "swim upstream"

3. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Up thread someone said something about the Rick Dalton character being a whiny crybaby or something like that.
    QT said the inspiration for Dalton was Pete Duel who they now think was bipolar and he committed suicide in 1971 when he was 31 years old and the then current star of the hit TV show Alias Smith And Jones.
    Pete Duel - Wikipedia
    [​IMG]

4. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Pete Duel had cool parents. After seeing Pete in a college play his Father told him to pursue acting as a career because he knew everything else was a waste of time and money.
    Him and his Mother drove from NY to Hollywood with just a tent to spend the nights.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I really enjoyed this film and was about ready to dub it his best effort since Pulp Fiction. . . until I got to the end. It seems like Tarantino succumbed to his worst instincts there, this kind of immature, reactionary wish fulfillment.

Spastica likes this.
  6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IIRC a fairly entertaining show. Too bad about Pete.

7. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

One sign in OUATIHollywood that Rick is bipolar is his end of the world reaction about the Italian movie offer and then minutes later after seeing his new neighbor Roman Polanski for the first time he's on top of the world again.
    Watch Cliff's face when Rick starts to talk after Polanski drives away, it's like oh yeah here we go again, I've seen this routine before. He also giggles at him when walking to the house.
    But ya'll knew that.
    Man I need to get out!

BeatleJWOL and ad180 like this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just watching Kenneth Anger's "Lucifer Rising" and completely forgot about this:

[​IMG]

9. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

WTF?
    July 27, 1969 13 days before,...

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I finally watched this movie over the weekend; having wanted to see it for a while because I've always been interested in that era.

I'm not a massive movie watcher; and have never watched any of Tarantino's other work.

In fact I watched the end of the movie online before I decided to buy it and watch the whole thing. I needed to know exactly how true to life the violence was. I don't think I could have made it through the film without doing that, as I would have been on edge the whole time.

I did really enjoy the movie, and some of my favourite parts are just the shots of Cliff cruising around LA. The cinematography is great. It really puts you there.

The climax, the violence seemed a little cartoon-ish to me. Knowing what really happened on August 9th 1969 and having seen the photos of the scene, I was left feeling the killers should have suffered more emotionally, flame thrower non-withstanding!

Maybe I'm missing something, but I also don't understand why Susan 'Sadie Atkins'; having gone through the glass window by the pool, then starts screaming and twitching again like someone possessed. It took the edge off the climax for me, a little.

I also agree that the introduction of the narrator in the latter half of the movie is jarring, and from then the pace seems a little rushed; probably a sign that they were constrained by time.

Overall a very enjoyable movie, that I enjoyed more than I thought I would, and a large part of that for me was due to the attention to detail.

Steve Litos and brownie61 like this.
  11. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Moccasins in 1968 by Jim Morrison
    [​IMG]

hi_watt, Ghostworld and RandelPink like this.
  12. njstrummer

njstrummer Forum Resident

"I learned to skate when I was a little boy" - I've always remember that line - and he even places his hand down to show his small little boy height. And I've only seen that that movie once!

Lightworker likes this.
  13. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Right now Rewound Radio is airing a 1965 aircheck now from KHJ (the station featured in OUATIH). Just moved it on to a Memorial Day 1969 show.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  14. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Have they announced the premier for QT's 10th yet?

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Premiere? AFAIK, there's been no announcement of what his next film will be period, much less when it'll hit screens!

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it was mindblowing wasn't it? the ending that is...

DME1061, Jrr and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Ah, thread resurrected. Anyone hear anything about a longer version yet?

SunSon likes this.
  18. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

(just kick-starting this thing)

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

You have to wonder what Quentin has been doing with his time during lockdown - writing a new film? Editing a long version of this film and maybe Kill Bill? Or just smoking a lot of dope watching old movies?

budwhite, Jrr, SunSon and 1 other person like this.
  20. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

While I'd like to think that he's doing all of the above, I'm going to guess it was the last item. :D

21. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

That’s called research is what that is. :p

22. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

...like the rest of us.

I finished it for you.
    You're welcome :D

23. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

-Quick Quiz-

At what time in the film do we hear our first clip-clap closing of a Zippo?

24. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

My guess is when Rick Dalton was whining about being a has-been after meeting with Al Pacino's character.

25. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Sooner than that