SHF members, your current speaker cost, Poll Too.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Jun 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Since the cost of audio equipment is all over the place on this fine forum I just wanted to get a fix on where we all are in regard to speaker cost ( retail ), and if you want, why your at that level.

Thanks
    Tim

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'm at that level because I'd need a bigger room to take advantage of bigger speakers. Oh, and my bank account doesn't allow me the luxury of getting more expensive speakers... especially when I have other hobbies I need to fund. :)

3. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

My ProAc towers and two REL subs puts mine barely in the 4th bracket. New ProAc prices at the time would have deterred me, but the used price was pretty attractive. I always meant to move up but still haven’t. The subs filled my upgrade desires.

Tim 2 likes this.
  4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'd long desired a pair of BBC-style speakers, but couldn't afford them. A few years ago, thanks to an insurance settlement and finding a pair of demo models priced very affordably at a dealer in England, I was able to acquire a set of lovely Spendor SP3/1R2's.

bhazen, ubiknik and Tim 2 like this.
  5. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

For me it was kind of a trick question - I bought vintage speakers that were one price when I bought them, but would cost 5x that to make today (Yamaha NS-2000). But I put the amount I bought them for used in the poll.

Tim 2 and clhboa like this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Cambridge Soundworks Model 6 bookshelf speakers, purchased about 15 years ago, cost was about $200.

Jack and Tim 2 like this.
  7. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

This poll might alienate those looking for the Over $500,001 choice.

8. TheVinylAddict

That's fine with me, alienate them. :)

Besides, they're covered by the "over 50,001" choice anyway. Let 'em feel cheated pressing that lowly choice.

Tim 2 and lonelysea like this.
  9. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Are we talking about our primary system, or total up everything in the house???

Bananas&blow and Tim 2 like this.
  10. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Oh jeez.

I mean to explain why I’m at this level is because it was the best deal I could find on my list within my budget.

Both sets were half or less than their msrp.

Both were significant upgrades.

Main system are kef r500 at $1400 for the pair because kef moved on and dropped the zeros.

Bedroom system is DT D11s at $500 because they have to be near a wall and the top bass vents make them pretty ideal for the room.

Kinda love both.

Will upgrade the kefs at some point with an “endgame” speaker as you kids call it but have tt, amp and possibly pre amp upgrades to do first.

May need to budget in a headphone amp and headphones first too due to #apartment life

And of course I could use some kind of digital front end streamer on the main system.

Well and a tt in the bedroom.

Oh crap, what have I done?

Curse you SH forum!!

Curse you!

SoCalWJS, Tim 2 and jonwoody like this.
  11. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Through no planning of my own and only one component, my speakers, bought new, all of my major components, Dac/Preamp/Amp/Speakers, all cost $5K retail or a bit more. So I guess that's balanced but not by design.

Tim 2 likes this.
  12. TheVinylAddict

Ha ha.

Good point. I have three different systems with both mains and surround. I just polled the mains in my primary listening room.

Plus, I have more speakers not being used than in use these days.

Tim 2 likes this.
  13. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

My speakers were a tad over 5k when I bought them just over twenty years ago. I plan on having the crossovers upgraded this summer and should be good for another twenty.

timind and Tim 2 like this.
  14. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I put myself in the 5k to 10k bracket but I only counted my magnepan 3.7i.
    They are my main stereo speakers. But my dedicated room does dual duty also as my movie room. I have magnepan 1.7 for the surrounds these were previously my mains. Then I have the magnepan CCR center channel. And two small Rel subs. If I count them all then I'm over 10k.
    We built a new house 5 years ago with a dedicated room and we were doing ok financially so my wife let me splurge. I'd like to get the magnepan 20.7 as my room is big enough but it's too much for now. But the 3.7i is no slouch and the Rel subs work with them very nicely.

sturgus and Tim 2 like this.
  15. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

My current pair cost me $9.99 at Savers. I'd like to upgrade but with a deal like that, I'll hang onto them for a while.

sturgus, timind and Tim 2 like this.
  16. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Main system speakers are GE Triton 1.r. Got a good deal on them so they snuck in under the 5K range. I also have a pair of System Audio Mantra 60's ($3500), SVS Sub ($1000), and a Pair of ADS L1290/s's for my vintage hankering. Each f them take a turn in the fray from time to time.

SandAndGlass, Toneboner and Tim 2 like this.
  17. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Why are you looking to find out who is worth robbing? :biglaugh:

RhodesSupremacy and Tim 2 like this.
  18. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Crikeys, hadn’t considered the social engineering angle.

Most people would probably talk about their dog or home protection devices but I’m going to threaten you with laziness instead.

I’m on a high floor and they’re very heavy.

Also, there are a few dings on the driver surface and worst of all, they were out of wood finish.

I mean, what self respecting fence wants gloss black right?

Tim 2 likes this.
  19. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Just remember criminals tend to be morons - as this video illustrates.

Warning foul language so don't watch if offended by language.

M.R.Collins, Tlay, Dave and 3 others like this.
  20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I have a used pair of JBL's I paid well under a 1,000.

Tim 2 likes this.
  21. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Got a bargain on my olympica 3s...$10,000

22. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

My Rega RX5 and SVS SB2000 put me in the 3rd bracket, this is my main system as I have a 2nd system not counting those speakers in.

Tim 2 likes this.
  23. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

With my PAP Quintet 15 Horn1, Rhytmik E15HP3 and Golden Ear center, surrounds and highs I squeezed into 5th bracket )). I suspect it is close to final config )).

Tim 2 likes this.
  24. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

4800 euro for used speakers. With speaker cables it will be more than the batch up to $5000

Tim 2 likes this.
  25. Jim N.

Jim N. Just another day in what was once Paradise...

My Odyssey Lorelei's were $1900 /pair B-Stock in 2005. They were made for another person who didn't think they were quite as good as his Meadowlark Blue Herons and Klaus had him send them to me. Best purchase I have ever made.

sturgus, SoCalWJS and Tim 2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.