Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

They should reboot the 'Transporter' series but with Newman from Seinfeld instead of Jason Stratham

[​IMG]

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Cinemark will re-open all US theatres by July 17.

Cinemark to Reopen All Its U.S. Movie Theaters By July 17

The country's third-largest movie circuit will "strongly encourage" customers to wear masks in addition to a host of new sanitary protocols.
    Cinemark announced a phased reopening plan early Wednesday that will see all of the circuit's U.S. locations back in business by mid-July with enhanced sanitizing and social distancing protocols in place.

The country's third-largest exhibitor will open a handful of Dallas locations on June 19, while the rest of its cinemas will be open for business between July 3 and July 17 in advance of Hollywood tentpoles Mulan (July 24) and Tenet (July 31). Other new nationwide releases include smaller titles Unhinged (July 10) and The Broken Hearts Gallery (July 17).

Industry sources expect Cinemark, AMC and Regal theaters to reopen their cinemas Los Angeles and New York City — the country's two busiest moviegoing markets — as early as July 10.

Initially, Cinemark said it will also offer a number of classic titles at discounted prices — $5 for adults and $3 for children and seniors — including Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Goonies and Inception. Concession prices will be likewise reduced, although self-service fountain drinks will be off-limits.

The theater chain, like other circuits, is implementing a raft of sanitary precautions. They include staggered seating, increased air filtration and reduced showtimes to allow for cleanings. Cinemark will also encourage guests to wear face mask (masks could be compulsory in some locales).

"What we are doing is very substantial and very significant," Cinemark CEO Mark Zoradi tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Our theaters are always clean. Now they will sparkle."

Employees will wear face masks and gloves, in addition to undergoing a wellness check before each shift.

Cinemark operates 555 cinemas in 41 states and 15 countries throughout South and Central America.

Listed below are the additional measures Cinemark is implementing:

"All public and high-touch spaces, such as concession stands, door handles, drink stations, self-ticketing kiosks, benches and restrooms will be thoroughly sanitized every 30 minutes using products identified by the EPA to be effective in eliminating COVID-19.

Each auditorium will be disinfected every morning, and all handrails and occupied seats, along with those on either side, will be sanitized between show times.

All theatres will reopen with reduced operating hours and staggered showtimes to maximize physical distancing.

For additional assurance, there will be seat wipes and ample hand sanitizer available for customer use.

In accordance with CDC recommendations, guests are strongly encouraged to wear face masks. Where applicable, Cinemark will adhere to local policies that require residents to wear face masks in public.

Cinemark will be employing new tactics to increase the fresh air intake to enhance the overall air quality of our theatres and using High Efficiency Particulate Absorbing (HEPA) filtration in all vacuums.

To help reduce potential contact between cash and food-handling areas, cash payments will not be accepted at the concession stand. However, each theatre will have a designated area where cash will be accepted, and gift cards will be available.

Moviegoers are asked to properly dispose of their trash to further protect our employees and allow for maximized cleaning between showtimes."

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I'm surprised at how many people actually miss going to the theaters. I thought they were kind of dying long before the pandemic.

rod likes this.
  4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IDK, personally I didn't have many pleasant experiences in the last few years. Disappointing movies (generally they're getting dumber, and I noted critics seem much more inclined to overpraise modest or bad movies with the right pc agenda. I'm always open to different p.o.v., but not at the expense of abusing an art form), 8-10 preview bombardment of stupid movies before the one I wanted to see, problems with seating. A few great experiences - like OUATIH - more than made up for the bad ones though

Scott222C and Doctor Worm like this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

That's not the case at all, if anything the industry has been expanding over the last 10 years or so, in 2009 Avatar debuted in 3,452 domestic theatres, 10 years later Avengers Endgame opened in 4,662 an increase of 35%. The growth in foreign markets is even larger especially in China.

Grand_Ennui and rock4ev like this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

brownie61 and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I did see the first two Ice Age movies and they were pretty decent, although I thought the first one was the better of the two.

I didn't see the first Secret Life of Pets but I saw the 2nd one with the AMC A-List program. It was OK but that was about it.

8. SandAndGlass

I did go to see, I Still Believe, in Sevierville at the multiplex, this afternoon.

It was a decent movie. It kind of reminded me of a couple of movies that I saw last year.

It is based on a true story.

The critics gave it a 51%, but the audience reviews gave it a 98% on Rotten Tomatoes.

The movie has taken in 10.5M against a 12M budget.

Unfortunately, it was just released om March 12th, just days before the cinemas were shut down.

Now that everything is opening back up, I doubt that there is enough initial momentum at the box office in general, to take it much farther.

I will comnent that it is a decent well acted and presented movie. It is just a case that the timing was not right for a successful box office.

Although I do think it would have been successful, had the timing been different.

The theater are currently offering $4 movies all day, which is an excellent deal.

harmonica98 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

We have some here with brewpubs attached. That helps. The one near me would serve you at your seat-you just ordered and then went in, and they brought the order to you. We just got approved to move to phase 2 starting Friday and this place will reopen. But it won't be the same, at least not for a while, especially with a new order mandating face masks in all public places starting next week as well.

Do you think you could wear a mask for 90+ minutes? Not me. I can do it at the store for 15-20 minutes but that's it.

10. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I bet if the temperature and humidity are comfortable you could do it. I had to wear one at my school for 2 hours a few weeks ago and it was fine. Although yesterday I needed to wear one outside for a few minutes in 80°F heat and failed miserably after less than 2 minutes.

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm not going to a movie theatre anytime soon as wearing a mask + a pandemic = not an enjoyable experience. I am quite liking the VOD choice and will wait until the new releases are available to rent. I was only seeing the big and loud comic book movies in the theatre anyways.

It also helps the prices have nearly doubled at some theatres which increases profits by offering THX, IMAX, food, beer, etc.

12. MikaelaArsenault

Me neither.

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

They finally -- finally! -- opened a decent theater with reserved stadium seating in my neck of the suburbs, so I was enjoying a matinee every other month or so when they accidentally acheduled something I'd watch.

The big screen, Dolby Atmos and hassle-free seating was worth it. A big improvement over my teenage movie experiences with those mall microscreens. I'm really glad I got to see serious, ambitious films like ANNIHILATION, HOSTILES and 1917 in a manner befitting their artistry.

But I ain't going back into the theaters until there's a vaccine or reliable treatment. Two hours indoors in a fixed seat near someone with the virus seems like a guaranteed infection.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  14. MikaelaArsenault

The movies are back. Cineworld and Regal Cinemas will reopen by July 10

Cineworld and Regal Cinemas to reopen in next few weeks - CNN

London (CNN Business) Cineworld Group, the owner of Regal Cinemas, will begin reopening movie theaters next week following a three-month shutdown due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The company said in a statement Tuesday that it was planning to open all its theaters by July 10, with screenings of "Mulan," "Wonder Woman 1984" and director Christopher Nolan's new film "Tenet" on the upcoming slate.

Shares in the company gained as much as 8% in London.
    Cineworld (CNK) became the second largest cinema business in the world by number of screens after it acquired Regal in 2017 for $3.6 billion. It closed all 787 of its cinemas in 10 countries in the middle of March, when governments around the world introduced social distancing rules that shut restaurants, bars and theaters.

"We are thrilled to be back and encouraged by recent surveys that show that many people have missed going to the movie theater," CEO Mooky Greidinger said in a statement. The company has deferred salaries for its directors, suspended quarterly dividend payments, and said last month that it was seeking $180 million from banks and government support programs to conserve cash and remain a viable business.

"Amidst the ongoing Covid-19 crisis, Cineworld's main priority remains the health and well-being of both our customers and colleagues," the company said. It said it has updated its booking system to ensure social distancing throughout auditoriums, adapted daily screening schedules to avoid crowds and enhanced cleaning procedures.

AMC Theaters (AMC), the world's largest movie theater owner, is planning to open around 1,000 cinemas around the world next month. The company reported a net loss of $2.2 billion in its first quarter and said there were "substantial doubts" about its ability to keep operating if pandemic-related closures continued.

Cineworld said its scheduled opening dates were "subject to final clarifications and confirmation in relation to various government Covid-19 restrictions in certain territories."
    In the United Kingdom, the government is reviewing whether to reduce its social distancing rule from two meters. A reduction would help bars, restaurants and theaters to make money upon reopening.
    Cineworld provided the following opening dates:
    • Unites States: July 10
    • United Kingdom: July 10
    • Poland: July 3
    • Czech Republic: June 26
    • Slovakia: June 26
    • Israel: July 9
    • Bulgaria: July 3
    • Hungary and Romania: to be confirmed (anticipated for week of July 3)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

It's fine you just have to buy up all the seats around you in a 6 foot radius. Maybe 10 feet just to be sure.

16. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Lets face it, the movie industry is toast until there is a widely distributed vaccine.

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Let's see what kind of numbers Mulan and Tenet pull before coming to that conclusion.

18. SandAndGlass

It all depends on the mask itself and what you are doing. If you are doing something like mopping floors and moving heavy cartons of produce or canned goods, then, even in AC, a face mask will get hot, in a short period of time.

Most movie theaters are requiring or requesting the use of masks while not seated. When in your seat, social distancing is in effect and masks are not required.

I am fine in a movie theater as things presently exist. People were already avoiding movie theaters and mass transit before the lockdown.

At the multiplex a couple of days ago, the entire complex was still mostly deserted. The parking lot was almost empty, as compared to the parking lot at the Walmart, which has been mostly full during the lockdown and afterward.

I was the only person in the theater for the 12:15 PM show.

For the record, it think that it was mostly stupid to leave theaters last on the list for reopening. They may as well never forced closures in the first place. There is simply not, nor has their been enough patrons in the theaters to make any difference, in the first place.

It is going to take a much longer time to build movie attendance back up, if they can build attendance back up.

If I am going anywhere out in public, it would be a movie theater. In a theater, I am around less people than anywhere else I would be indoors.

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

There's enough Nukes on this list to remind you of the Y-12 Plant in Oak Ridge, Tennessee's output. I think we've got a Little Boy and a Fat Man and several other Nuclear Movie Bomb choices this year. Epic Movie Bombs of the Atomic kind.

20. MikaelaArsenault

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I like this line of logic. "3 big bombs for the price of 1 big bomb". The Atomic Cinema 3 bomb special"

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This is what we definitely call epic fail in terms of Hollywood.... Why stop with one big bomb of a movie, when we can greenlight two big bomb movies, and lose our shirts. Biggest sad thing about this, Grainger County, Tennessee rotten tomato missiles are in short supply this year, when moviegoers needed a double or triple supply of them.

Vidiot likes this.
  23. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Prior to COVID-19 I liked the VIP theatres in my neck of the woods that had nice food and good (adult) drinks so going to the theatre was no longer a cramped, messy affair with limited food and drink options. But I'm not in a hurry to be in a room full of strangers.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  24. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I think a lot depends on when you go as to whether there have been a lot of people in the theater. Before the pandemic, I went to the movies exclusively on weekend mornings before noon, usually on opening weekend for a film. I did this partially because for 10 months a year, weekends are the only time it is easy for me to go to the movies. Also, I am a stupidly early riser, so cheap morning matinees at AMC were a no brainer for me. Over the past couple of years, those weekend morning matinees were getting more and more crowded and would sometimes sell out.

It’s the length of time (hours!) spent in an enclosed space close to others that makes me so hesitant about returning to theaters. I don’t spend hours in the supermarket.

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

You're making contact with all sorts of things in a supermarket, the cart, food products, fridge handles, checkout and your purchases come home with you. In a theatre you can go ticketless and only make contact with your seat, that's it, wear a mask. There's probably less people going in/out also compared to a supermarket.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.