The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I think that turntable shelves are the best solution for houses with wooden Floors and solid walls (from personal experience).
    Just make sure that the bracket isn’t made out of ringing metal tubes or fill the tubes up with dampening filler material.

2. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Seems like a great idea that should work well, I had considered doing a wood bracket or something super beefy like what the main beam structures use but because the post I bolted to is such a dreadnought as far as zero resonance (unless a super heavy work truck hauling a tractor goes bouncing down the street right in front of our bldg. edit: actually that doesn't really do much, but I recall when they laid new pipes on our street that there was intense pounding and digging going on outside that made the whole building shake -but that's over thank god..) goes I just went to Home Depot and got two 500lb load bearing shelf brackets.
    That post is at the 3rd floor to the roof, from beam to beam with the weight of an old factory building roof .
    The building itself takes up almost a third of a city block and that post is a well settled in 9"x9"solid timber.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

The Knosti probably works better than a Spin clean I would hope, the fatal flaw of a Spin clean is that it bows out and away from the pads where the pressure needs to be for effective groove cleaning.
    If a Spin clean is modified with a form of clamp to push the center area back in towards center then it works excellent.
    Water is no joke when it comes to discharging static, I learned this in work situations unrelated to static on records, all I did was bring that knowledge into the stereo room, I had a Zerostat in the AZ desert way back in the eighties and yes it works, but a wet cloth is just as effective.

4. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

the bracket is made out of wood with a wooden brace across it and the shelf is a thick plywood bord. It should be alright but tips on how it can be bettered would be great!

5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

If the wall is stout this can work fine, I think a load bearing wall is best, the plywood might be the weak link there, maybe go to a wood sourcing place that specializes in fancy woods and get a plank cut of the thickest hardwood you can afford.
    Actually I think just adding a thick piece of MDF to mate with the plywood (put the MDF board below the plywood ) or maybe still just doubling the plywood would add some mental insurance.
    But basically if the wall is stout and unaffected by bouncy wood floors that may affect it at the base, then what you got may be just fine.
    I used brass washers on all the mounting bolts and I think that actually helps too.

6. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

So basicly the more and thicker wood the better? I'll keep that in mind!

7. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Where did you find this info?

8. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

punkmusick and Twinsfan007 like this.
  9. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

One more question, could you install a new tonearm on the 1500C similar to the way you can on the 1200s?

10. Oelewapper

Sounds like the spinclean doesn’t fully work as intended... the Knosti does.
    Except for pouring the used liquid out of the “bath”. Leaks half of it along the side :sigh:

11. Oelewapper

I don’t think so.
    There’s no open bottom under the tonearm and the connections are at the back of the plinth instead of below the tonearm.

12. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

@Twinsfan007 It was on the promo for the new deck, they said this was the first model of a new range from Nagoaka and it was making its debut in the 1210GAE.

I guess it makes sense as it would take a ton of R&D just to make it for that turntable. Looks like they’ve done it for ease of installation on Technics headshell, it seems you set it up just by alligning it with the front of the Technics cart like many Shures.

punkmusick and Twinsfan007 like this.
  13. Hardcore

I have mine set up so that when the arm is up it still rests on the cradle, the stylus hovers about 7mm above the vinyl. Personally I prefer it that way, I think it looks better than having it way up in the air and have never damaged a stylus. I presumed it was supposed to be setup the way I’ve done it though the table doesn’t leave the factory that way, you have to fiddle with the screw a bit.

14. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

The Spin Clean I have is the clear version and I can't speak for the other yellow plastic type, so it may be a weakness of the plastic used to get the clear look, I don't know.

Oelewapper likes this.
  15. Oelewapper

I've also seen that promo, it's mentioned at 23:36

(embedding appears to be disabled, so you have to click "Watch this video on YouTube")

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Hardcore likes this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

LOL. I gave up when the word 'Vinyls' was used. Nothing new here if you are familiar with the 1200G.

Oelewapper likes this.
  17. Oelewapper

Haha yeah they're salesmen, not experts.
    The only thing that's substantially different is that the strobe LED can be disabled, but they don't even show how.
    Other than that, it's just the same as the 1200GAE but in black.

patient_ot likes this.
  18. Hardcore

I clocked that too but English isn’t their first language so I’ll cut him a little slack.

What are people’s opinions on the 1210? If it had been available when I bought mine I would have gone for one over the 1200, so perhaps it’s a good thing it wasn’t as it looks so nice in silver.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  19. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

4499 Euros , the price is creeping up.....:(

The new feet need to be good.

Hardcore likes this.
  20. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I just hope the new Nagaoka has official U.S. distribution, and we don't have to buy it from some guy on a street corner in a Zip-Loc bag.

rischa, Dignan2000 and Hardcore like this.
  21. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

What Technics really needs to do is release a deck somewhere between the GR and G with all the pitch shifting stuff deleted, then add the magnesium arm which would add a cleaner, simplistic look.
    Maybe throw in the brass top plate on the platter.

rischa and Big Blue like this.
  22. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

So, a G without the pitch fader? And without the strobe too, I suppose? I could see a suped-up 1500C, made in Japan, doing very well with the audiophile crowd, though I'm sure it would cannibalize Technics' G sales.

Big Blue, Dignan2000, Joel S and 2 others like this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Honestly I don't see this happening. I think we are lucky to have the models we have in the current market. Especially in the U.S. where the dealer network is still limited and sales aren't as good as in Europe and other markets.

I do think that as these decks become more ubiquitous you'll see more small-scale aftermarket operations offering mods and pre-modded turntables though.

24. Hardcore

I agree we’re extremely lucky! I thought Technics was dead and buried as far as Panasonic were concerned.

I don’t know if this is common knowledge, I haven’t seen it posted yet but I believe you can date your deck from the 3rd and 4th serial number, for example mine is 6K with the 6 being 2016 and the K being November.

patient_ot likes this.
  25. Hardcore

Yes that’s pretty obscene! Especially as according to the price tracker the 1200G has been available at £2299 earlier this year.

I would worry about long term issues with gel feet, think I’m good with the basic ones!