eil.com registration

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Francophile50, Jun 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear. Thread Starter

I was just curious if anybody uses this site to purchase records or CDs?

I saw a CD I was going to buy and I'm going to check out and I have to register but it's asking me for my password to my email address? Why would they need that? I may just call them.

2. Francophile50

Nevermind. They were asking for me to create a password not to give them the password to my email address.

3. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Their customer service is fantastic, and when they say a record "shows no sign of its 50 years" or something to that effect, they're not joking. Everything I've bought from them has been pristine.

sound chaser likes this.
  4. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

Aren't they unnecessarily expensive? Everything I've seen there I've found much cheaper elsewhere

5. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Positioned at the top end of the market; for cost and quality.

6. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Too expensive for me.

Shaker Steve likes this.
  7. Francophile50

Well I bought a CD from them for $30 which was kind of pricey. I found a very same CD which was a regular CD for the same price on eBay. The seller had terrible feedback. Like 60 or so negative remarks just this month. The seller was in America and I was more apt to give the money to America then to England. I asked them if they could do any better and they said no. So at I opted to go to England because I'm assured of getting it in a better condition.

The thing is the CD that I bought was actually pretty reasonable however they didn't have any tracking so I had to pay another 10 lb for tracking which I figured it's worth it. Tracking on eBay is free.

8. keef285

keef285 Forum Resident

Tracking on E bay is not free...........you still have to pay extra.

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Used to use Esprit a lot pre-internet. They’re certainly not afraid to charge, but they often have (or used to) things that are genuinely rare. They’re worth keeping an eye on, but I haven’t bought anything from them for years. For a while they sold on eBay, but I haven’t seen anything from them on there in ages.

Adrian’s was another mail order store I favoured in the 70’s and 80’s. They’re still in business too, which is great in this day and age.

sharedon likes this.
  10. Francophile50

Well I order stuff from all over the world on eBay and I've never paid anything separately to track my packages.

I've always wondered some sellers offer shipping for free. Some offer shipping within the United States for a few dollars. And there are those who had different rates in the UK or in Japan or in Australia which is really expensive. So I factor those into the overall price to see if the value is there for me.

No offense to the world but I like to continually give my money locally as much as possible. I want to support Americans who are suffering that are working hard to sell CD's so I can encourage them to continue. But people all over the world are reasonable and half of the time I'm buying stuff from outside of the United States.

willied likes this.
  11. keef285

keef285 Forum Resident

I sell stuff on E bay and have buyers all over the world, if it's an expensive item I always ask if they want tracked and signed for .......which costs more.

Francophile50 likes this.
  12. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

eil.com is fine. I've bought stuff over the years from them. They've been around a long time. They specialize in locating hard to find record. I wouldn't say they are cheap, but they're honest about grading. The prices might not be the best, but you're going to get the record they promised.

sharedon likes this.
  13. Francophile50

Hmmm. maybe tracking in the UK is different from tracking in the United States or other countries. I recently bought stuff from Australia and the shipping can be more expensive but I figured they were using that money on tracking and packing.

In America once they send something I can tell where it is anywhere in the country in the progress it's making across the country most of the time. eBay tells me when it's delivered and if I'm home I just step outside and get the package if I'm at work or somewhere else I know it will be at my house when I return.

Now if the package is real expensive like say $100 or something I would have it insured & requested it be signed for that way it wouldn't be stolen off my porch.

14. Francophile50

My CD was only 15 pounds, but I figured since this is the first time I'm dealing with them I might as well have it tracked because it's kind of a hard to find and I want to receive it.

15. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

EIL still has an eBay store.

I have dealt with them for 30 years, but more in the pre-Internet days. As others have said, they operate at the upper end of the market when it comes to price, but condition is generally superb, even for vintage vinyl, and their packaging is excellent. You pay a premium for all that, of course, though fair prices can be achieved, especially during sale periods.

I do feel that, in recent years, the truly high-end items have eluded them, and I’m not altogether surprised, as their buying team don’t seem that clued-in. A while back, I offered them the opportunity to buy ten extremely rare items by a major, highly collectible, artist, some of which are so rare that they’ve never been offered for public sale before. I received a response within a few minutes — they can’t even have had time to take everything in — dismissing eight of the ten out of hand. The other two items, which they were vaguely interested in, they couldn’t even be bothered to make an offer on, instead asking me what offers I’d received from other people. I found this approach quite unprofessional, so I didn’t even respond, and the items went back on my shelf.

16. Francophile50

Even though they claim to be purveyors of rare titles maybe they deal with more common to less common titles.

17. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

That was my basic point. Although they do still stock some nice, hard to find items, their focus is on mid-range collectors, and they are a bit clueless when it comes to the really rare stuff.

18. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

I was wondering as they certainly charge top prices do they pay top prices when people sell to them?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I've had to return a couple of records in the past and they lost one + denied they had it (after suggesting I send it back 2nd class). Just make sure you return anything signed for / recorded. However usually their grading is pretty accurate but remember it's likely visual only.

20. Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez Forum Resident

I ordered a couple of records from them on the 11th of this month. They were shipped out on the 12th and arrived here in Tacoma today (the 23rd). They were shipped International Priority with no tracking number. On checkout, there were other shipping options which quickly escalate (substantially) in price and they would have allowed for tracking, but those options would have exceeded the cost of the records (roughly $24).

I've placed several orders with them and haven't had a problem either with their record grading or shipping.

21. Francophile50

I may opt to not add tracking if I use them again.

22. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Interesting to see people saying they are happy with their grading. I gave up buying vinyl from them a while back because they refuse to use any actual grading system, just using flim flam phrases like “appears barely played” which means very little - and could range from VG to M, in my experience.

Here are some more of their quality gradings, from emails I’ve had in the last week:

“the vinyl remains excellent with just a few surface scuffs”

“The vinyl has just a few scuffs to indicate play”

It’s all too vague for my liking.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  23. Francophile50

I didn't buy a record from them. I bought a CD from them and if it seems play a ball good if it's not it goes back.

24. Francophile50

I received my CD from eil.com a couple days ago. Their shipment came fast and the price was reasonable. A couple things about them, they didn't offer free tracking so I had to pay for tracking and it raised the price of the CD considerably. Also their description wasn't great. I thought I was going to be getting either a CD in a jewel case or a digipak. It was a promotional CD with all the songs on the regular album. Unfortunately they shipped it to me in just a card like a mini LP. The listing didn't mention this nor did I think to ask. That was a little disappointing but other than that it was a great transaction.

25. Francophile50

I wish someone would post a thread or something somewhere on this forum where they could list all the different markets for records and CDs there are online. We all know there is discogs, eBay, eil.com, and Amazon. What are the others? Also what are the pros and cons of all these?

As I said before I'm an eBay guy cuz I've been using them for over 20 years. Yeah that's catch-as-catch-can but if you have the time over all I have to say it's pretty good for buyers. My only issue with them and it's not really with them it's with how their sellers ship, is the time it takes for the product to get from them to you.

It's probably a whole nother topic but how some sellers can wait a few days and then ship their stuff out or it takes a few days for the post office to pick up the package. Then there is issues and how your package is routed or how long it takes to get to you. There are some that are shipped halfway around the world and they get to you in a phenomenal time. Then there is those that are shipped to you from right around the corner that take forever to get to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.