Looks like HMV in the UK may survive after all...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Sound of the Suburbs, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Also no hmv exclusives this year ...FNAC in France have just done a load ...and we’re way cheaper than hmv would have been too

2. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

There are rumours that the one near where I live might be moving to a bigger store! I can't comment on prices of vinyl because I don't buy new vinyl - why anyone would want a reissue of a record that you could buy the original of in excellent condition for a fraction of the price is beyond me. But I have to admit that the prices in general have risen a bit this year. So, where they were either the same price or cheaper than Amazon, they are now maybe a pound higher. I'm happy to pay that - just as, if I were wanting that Neil Young vinyl, I'd rather buy it for £39 from HMV than £37 from Amazon - not least because you know it won't be battered in transit. Where HMV tends to win hands down is with the blu ray releases aimed at the collectors market. While prices vary, there is nearly always a very good deal on regarding one label or another.

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Staggered by this. I’m glad I got out of vinyl in the 80’s now.

Eric_Generic and Man at C&A like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

How were the CDs priced? Noticeably higher, or just the usual amount of higher?!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  5. Gavaxeman

Mad thing is a reasonable original at a record fair would probably be no more than a tenner ..I got mine in great shape for £7

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The usual amount of higher. The Bob Dylan one was £12.99 which is little bit higher than I'd expect for a new release, but not terrible.

Hopefully common sense will get through to them soon. I just think this new owner doesn't truly understand the value of money or the music market in the UK. To a guy who is obviously very rich, lives abroad and hasn't bought vinyl albums until very recently (he said he'd been buying records for five years in an interview) £40 for single LP might not seem much. In an economically poor area like Middlesbrough, it's either laughable or depressing.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I haven't seen a decent condition cheap second hand copy for years. Albums that seemed to be common for years are now more expensive or don't show up so much anymore. I'm pleased I got many of the essential Bowie, Stones, Beatles, Dylan, Hendrix, Queen, Who etc albums back in the 90s and 2000s when they were cheap.

Pouchkine and Eric_Generic like this.
  8. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Same price as Amazon UK.

Man at C&A and Eric_Generic like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's good. I hadn't looked.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  10. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

I haven't felt the urge to look in the local HMV since it re-opened; I did pop down to Preston on the bus to visit the indy shop there, which reopened Monday this week, and came away with Bill Fay's last-but-one LP that I remembered they had in before lockdown. Might check out HMV next week, but to be honest I find the LP stock there to be very predictable, they never have anything that makes me grab it there and then. I can find the occasional surprise among the CDs though.

coffeetime likes this.
  11. Gavaxeman

Just gotta keep plodding..record fairs , local stores , eBay ..still around , just don’t overpay ...mint 1st pressings are pricy ..but not everything else ..

carlwm and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I do! I go everywhere that might sell records. I was very persistent when cheap vinyl was everywhere. I often get early second pressings of rare albums (pink rim Island, boxed logo Decca, black and silver Columbia etc) that are usually every bit as good quality and very often use the same stampers. It's usually only a label design that's changed at all.

I'm itching to get going again...

13. Gavaxeman

Me too..I popped into a tiny antique store today whilst the car was being washed in the hope of a vinyl dig... he had nothing but as only person he’d seen all day felt obligated to shoot the breeze

14. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

I don't think there is common sense lacking. The Neil Young album is £37.67 on Amazon. So HMV's price is less than £2.50 higher on a product that is nearly £40. You have to expect that if you're in a bricks and mortar store. Amazon are even stocking a different vinyl release of the album for £48!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harvest-Rmst-VINYL-Neil-Young/dp/B002VRNI9U/ref=mb_oe_l

The only place where common sense is lacking is the people who are buying a vinyl album for this price to start with. The vinyl issue is made even worse these days by the bizarre notion that you can't fit more than fifteen minutes each side, and so a single album becomes a double! This seems odd considering I've got albums last more than half an hour each side. While I don't expect that outside of classical or jazz, there are plenty of rock albums that run for fifty minutes on a single album.

15. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

I won’t pay anymore than £20 for a single vinyl copy. £30 if it’s a double.

Sci-Flyer and Man at C&A like this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Same with me unless it's something very special and limited. I can't remember the last time I did. Probably the RSD mono Pink Floyd Piper reissue. I don't think that's ever come down to anything near £20. I tend to shop around.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Eric_Generic likes this.
  17. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

Looks like there’s mint copies of that Neil Young LP on Discogs for around £20.

18. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

They've been doing 4K movies in exclusive packaging - Jaws, Top Gun, Blues Brothers

The Jaws 4K (basically the US lenticular book and packaging, with a couple of extra artcards thrown in to further bump up the price) - is already a sell-out.

19. Gavaxeman

No vinyl exclusives though

20. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Unless they pull up from this nosedive, they are finished

I noted that for the majority of items they have switched the price tag to the rear of the item, just so you get that extra hit of WTF when you see how much something is.

Biggest rip off one I spied, but didn't take a picture: Prince "Chaos and Disorder" Single disc £39.99 - Good luck with that

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gavaxeman, Pouchkine and Eric_Generic like this.
  21. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I was looking to purchase Gigaton by Pearl Jam on CD,there is a HMV about 25 minutes away from where I live so I checked the website to see how much they charging,I was gobsmacked of the price Gigaton | CD Album | Free shipping over £20 | HMV Store

On Amazon by comparison it was priced at £11.50,so I purchased it from there and had it delivered within three days plus I had Amazon Autorip for my devices.

I'm happy to pay a few pound extra to buy it in store but I'm not paying an extra £5.50 for it,I feel HMV's prices are getting more expensive which with the climate we are in at this time is something that they really can't afford to do.

Pouchkine, Gavaxeman and Eric_Generic like this.
  22. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

There's rumours on Twitter that HMV haven't been paying Universal Music,so Universal have stopped sending them stock till they pay up.

Haim's new album is out today and Paul Weller's is out next week,both artists are on Universal and are showing out of stock on Hmv's website
    Search Results

Search Results

This looks incredibly ominous for Hmv the way it stands.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I've reached out to a friend to see if he can get more info on the rumour. I'll post when/if he hears back.

Pouchkine and Eric_Generic like this.
  24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Heard back - nothing positive to report. Those rumours about non payment are strong along with other non payments of other things.

I forgot that the same people bought FYE in the US earlier this year, a chain which was in a mess. I expect they are cash strapped at corporate level.

Pouchkine likes this.
  25. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

A couple of years ago I would have been devastated at the thought of HMV disappearing .

I thought that before Covid the business was probably in a pretty precarious position, although at least owned by someone who seemed to care, but now it must be in a really difficult position.

I really hope they survive, not least for the staff who are really nice down at the branch in Leith, but sadly I have my doubts.