Pricing Question - In the Court of the Crimson King White Label Promo

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Zonark000, Jun 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zonark000

Zonark000 New Member Thread Starter

A few years back I bought what I was told was a vinyl test pressing of ItCotCK, however, I think it could possibly be a white label promo. The record consists of a white label on both sides. "Court King Crimson" is written on the A-side in ballpoint pen, and "b" is written on the B-side in sharpie. The matrix on the A-side is "ILPS 9111 A//3" and on the B-side it's "ILPS 9111 B//4". Both matrixes appear to be stamped. I've looked everywhere on the internet and can barely find any information on these matrix variations. I've seen them listed on a few auctions sites advertised as a "First pressing Pink Island label" (however, the record I have is a white-label, not Pink Island label, which confuses me). Does anybody here have any information on this record or what it could possibly be worth? If so, please share. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Here's a picture. I attempted to also take close-ups of the matrix codes, but can't get the lighting good enough for them to be visible: https://i.imgur.com/yvl1rGm.jpg

2. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

This doesn't look like a promo to me. It looks like a test pressing, which would be more valuable than a promo. No idea what it's worth though. Nice item!

AaronW and Zonark000 like this.
  3. Zonark000

Thanks for the reply! Out of curiosity, what makes you think it's a test pressing. I've had a few people say that it would be indicated on the label if it were a test pressing, but I've also heard the same for promo copies. The rare matrix makes me think that it would be a test pressing as well, but I really have no knowledge on the topic myself.

4. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Nice item!

This is a test pressing. The labels are the smooth EMI pressed ones; similar to this copy popsike.com - KING CRIMSON IN THE COURT OF 1ST PRESS 1969 UK LP PINK ISLAND PROG A3/B4 RARE - auction details which shares the same matrices as yours.

The earliest matrices are generally considered to be A2/B2 and the most collectable pressings those by Orlake which have rough labels and a distinctive rim around the edge of the label.

There is an A1/B1 pink label kicking around which came up on ebay a few years back and was bought by Disk Union in Japan for close to £3k. However, there are A1/B1 versions with pink rim labels as well; which could mean that the one Disk Union bought was a later cut and the factory was just using up old label stock. It is well known that the original mix of the album wasn't used for the release hence why 99.9% of first pressings seen so far are A2/B2.

If this was a rough label Orlake A2/B2 test pressing in NM condition you would be looking in excess of £1,000.

As this is a less desirable matrix combination, condition would be paramount. If it were in NM condition then I would suggest in the region of £350-500. An A3/B3 white label sold in 2014 for £310. However, over the past few years it's only really the rough label A2/B2 combination which has gained in value as it's so much rarer.

AaronW likes this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

As other's have noted, it's a test pressing of a fairly desirable issue.

That said, it would be more valuable if it had demonstrable provenance (came from the collection of a well-known music insider) or else had the release info sheet that was often taped to the generic cover.

6. Zonark000

This is good to know! Thanks for sharing your knowledge! It sure would be nice to have an A2/B2 pressing. On the bright side of things, the condition is fantastic for a vinyl that's 50 years old. Only a single noticeable pop, and some static throughout Moonchild. Whoever's owned this throughout the years has kept it in great condition, especially compared to a later pressing I own.

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, the record just came by itself, no release info sheet, unfortunately.

7. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Good that it is in nice condition. Often they suffer from lack of proper protection.

Many Island white labels have emerged from the collections of ex-sales reps and reviewers emptying their lofts in the last few years.

Here's the A2/B2 Orlake pressing with the distinctive raised rim around the edge and rough labels.

[​IMG]

Zonark000 likes this.
  8. Zonark000

I'm sorry to bump this thread after over a year, but I'm still looking for information regarding this record. I can't find any information online about the A//3 B//4 variant other than the auction link that irwin69 provided as well as an ebay auction from this year, both of which have a Pink Island label rather than the white label version I have. Assuming my copy is a test pressing of the A//3, B//4 variant, how much would it potentially be valued at? Would it be wise to seek out a vinyl appraiser? There's so little information about this particular pressing online that it's really frustrating me. Is there a large chance that there's a bunch of other A//3, B//4 test pressings sitting in private collections, or is it more likely that I have one of the only copies? Any information on this particular pressing would be incredibly appreciated.

9. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

It appears to be pretty rare, 4 people on Discogs claim to have it and 393 want it, none have sold. What other info are you looking for besides value?
    King Crimson – In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson) (1969, Vinyl)

A similar one sold back in 2014 for $424, sure to be worth more now.
    popsike.com - KING CRIMSON In The Court….WHITE LABEL Island LP Test? - auction details

Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.