Netflix: The Irishman - Robert De Niro, Martin Scorsese, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci & Harvey Keitel.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Apr 29, 2017.

1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Pretty doubtful Netflix will still be around and have kept everything available for streaming. Once those streaming sites start to go belly-up, almost everything will likely be lost forever. It's coming out on a Criterion BluRay later this year, though. That should still be playable 20 or 30 years from now.

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I finally sat through this Frankenstein. I found it tedious, anticlimactic and illogical in terms of editing and violence decisions. For example, the violence of the barbershop murder at the beginning was tastefully avoided as the camera panned to a still life of flowers in a neighboring florist shop. But other murders of no greater consequence were graphically shown in the bloodiest slow-mo, carefully choreographed for no real reason. Of course the only murder that really mattered after three hours of building to that moment was filmed almost as an afterthought, like it wasn't really particularly brutal or important. And the funny thing is, it really wasn't important enough to make us sit through all the bizarre digital makeup. My attention felt drawn to the odd appearance of the very familiar characters. It was like solving a jigsaw puzzle with the pieces being the faces of the usual cast of characters in Goodfellas, Sopranos, etc. I barely recognized Domenick Lombardozzi, for example. I think not just his face but his entire body were so heavily digitized it hid him almost entirely, but his voice gave it away. Similar treatment was given to all kinds of actors in the film, some of whom I may not have recognized at all.

The film had no heart and did little with so much, unlike Scorsese's early work with very modest production and plenty of spirit and artistic vision.

Veronica Mars and somnar like this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

His Stepson, Goldsmith wrote a book, that apparently was more accurate about who was involved or more importantly that his Stepfather, Chuckie O’Brien was not involved with the disappearance/murder of Jimmy Hoffa, than the book, ‘I Heard You Paint Houses’, which De Niro first read and convinced Scorsese to Direct ‘The Irishman’ based off of that book. I think they should have read Goldsmith’s Book also before making the Movie. I plan to read it eventually.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If I was to equate The Irishman to a Beatles single / 45rpm.. I would say Free As A Bird.

6. MikaelaArsenault

I just thought that should be worth posting here.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  7. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Yes, glad you posted it, as it reminded me that I wanted to buy the Book by his Stepson, who is a Professor at Harvard and seems to know the most on the disappearance of Hoffa(or what is not accurate).

I really liked ‘The Irishman’ Movie, and glad I saw it in a theatre, but just saying the book it was based on might not be the truth on some accounts.

8. alexpop

The Irishman ☘️
    Is it available on Blu Ray/DVD ?

9. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

11. MikaelaArsenault

We talked about it many times, but my mom and I ended up not finishing it.

Yovra, twicks and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

Seems to be a common experience watching it on Netflix. I seen it in the cinema and was transfixed.

13. MikaelaArsenault

It just got really boring, but I do like the actors.

14. alexpop

Had to nip out to the toilet near the end. For all it’s faults cast was too old .. I enjoyed it, though for entertainment wise, ( Director’s other films )I prefer
    .. The Departed.

Deja Doh and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

The Departed is a really good movie.

Deja Doh and alexpop like this.
  16. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I tried to rewatch it
    I lasted about 25 minutes.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    somnar, Moonbeam Skies and rnranimal like this.
  17. alexpop

What’s holding Netflix back .. release it, make some homemedia sales.

18. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

They want you to subscribe to watch it - and then forget to unsubscribe.

polchik and brownie61 like this.
  19. alexpop

I’ve already seen it ( cinema ).. want the media version now.

20. alexpop

What happened to the media version?
    4K UHD.

21. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I understood that it was to be part of the Criterion Collection. I have been watching for word of a release date but have seen nothing so far.

alexpop likes this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Criterion Announces November Titles

Synopsis: Martin Scorsese's cinematic mastery is on full display in this sweeping crime saga, which serves as an elegiac summation of his six-decade career. Left behind by the world, former hit man and union truck driver Frank Sheeran (Robert De Niro) looks back from a nursing home on his life's journey through the ranks of organized crime: from his involvement with Philadelphia mob boss Russell Bufalino (Joe Pesci) to his association with Teamsters union head Jimmy Hoffa (Al Pacino) to the rift that forced him to choose between the two. An intimate story of loyalty and betrayal writ large across the epic canvas of mid-twentieth-century American history, The Irishman (based on the real-life Sheeran's confessions, as told to writer Charles Brandt for the book I Heard You Paint Houses) is a uniquely reflective late-career triumph that balances its director's virtuoso set pieces with a profoundly personal rumination on aging, mortality, and the decisions and regrets that shape a life.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
    • NEW 4K DIGITAL MASTER, approved by director Martin Scorsese, with Dolby Atmos soundtrack
    • Newly edited roundtable conversation among Scorsese and actors Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, and Joe Pesci, originally recorded in 2019
    • New documentary about the making of the film featuring Scorsese; the lead actors; producers Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Jane Rosenthal, and Irwin Winkler; director of photography Rodrigo Prieto; and others from the cast and crew
    • New video essay written and narrated by film critic Farran Smith Nehme about The Irishman's synthesis of Scorsese's singular formal style
    • The Evolution of Digital De-aging, a 2019 program on the visual effects created for the film
    • Archival interview excerpts with Frank "the Irishman" Sheeran and International Brotherhood of Teamsters trade union leader Jimmy Hoffa
    • Trailer and teaser
    • PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O'Brien
    STREET DATE: NOVEMBER 24.

23. I just saw this last night. No real reason why I waited. Well, I guess that it's difficult to get the wife to sit through a 3.5 hour film, so I saw it alone.

To me it boiled down to, a great story, whether the ending is true or not, too many masterful cinematic moments to count, but also too many horrible moments to go through: the facial FX being at the top.

So it was a tale of two pictures, almost. Plus, Al Pacino as Jimmy Hoffa took me right out of the film. Terrible. There were a few moments I believed him, but not enough for the final illusion.

I don't feel I wasted my time. All-in-all I enjoyed it. On the other hand, I'll never watch the film again. If anything, it made me want to re-watch Nicholson's role as Hoffa.

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I finally watched this masterpiece. I blew it last year when I made 2 pathetic attempts to watch it like a Netflix show and only last 20 minutes each time. Reading the book now then rewatching.

BZync and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I put off seeing this for a year (!) because various family members wanted to watch it with me. I finally stopped waiting. :) Just fantastic. Pesci was amazing, and it's an ultimate cinema moment for me whenever DeNiro and Pacino share a screen. As for others, the story hooked me to the point where the hours flew by. That last hour...wow.

formu_la, BZync and Matthew Tate like this.