Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. TCP

TCP Forum Resident

When did Homegrown go up for pre-order? About a month ago? I guess we should be seeing a pre-order for Return to Greendale shortly if the 7/17 date is still accurate.

qtrules, JoeRockhead and tug_of_war like this.
  2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

probably when they are "for sure" it is coming.. you don't want to put a tracklist out there and then pull it.
    i sure hope this greendale return doesn't effect it.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  3. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Agree overall, Neil himself kinda refutes the commerciality of the album in the book - but still calls the album the missing link between Harvest, Comes A Time, Old Ways and Harvest Moon (all of which - sans Old Ways - were very commercial sounding albums). But I was mostly remembering this quote:

4. Ken Norris

Ken Norris Forum Resident

Archives 2 is going to cover

Times Fades Away
    Tuscaloosa
    Tonight's the Night
    Roxy
    On The Beach
    Homegrown
    Zuma
    Long May You Run
    Hitchhiker
    Odeon Budokan
    Songs for Judy
    half of ASnB

?

5. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

That's terrific. Thank you so much.

Rasselas likes this.
  6. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

In relation to Homegrown being the Ditch cousin' of Harvest, I think Neil wrote 5 potential singles in 1974:

Homefires, Love Art Blues, Love Is A Rose, Hawaiian Sunrise and Try.

Had he produced them accordingly and put them on the same album, I believe it could have been his best seller. Instead, he took the songs to the ditch with him... and I don't blame him.

It's so good to have another ditch album to listen. Hopefully Homefires will share the same vibe.

7. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Make it six with Long May You Run! :D

tug_of_war likes this.
  8. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Also four master takes on Dec. 11, with Levon: Separate Ways, Try, Old Homestead and Daughters. There were some pretty intense sessions.

9. tug_of_war

That's true! I forgot that one.

10. Joey Grubb

Joey Grubb Well-Known Member

Looking at the timeline on the archives the rest of year seems pretty tight with releases:

Return to Greendale 7/17/20
    Archives V 2 8/21/20
    Rust Bucket 10/16/20
    Young Shakespeare 11/27/20

It seems something might get pushed back. Hopefully nothing changes.

pool_of_tears and chickendinna like this.
  11. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Ragged Glory II. Ragged Glory II. Where fore art thou?

12. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

As of June 7: "It's next for John Hanlon. Early 2021."

ARK and ET3311 like this.
  13. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I remember seeing this album cover years ago and I didn’t believe it. It was so incongruous with the description of the music.

14. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I think Neil has said Return to Greendale is pushed back a couple of weeks but only because of making some adjustments to the video. He’s said it is 100% complete now so I’d say as long as it was sent to vinyl pressing plant weeks ago then we are still on for 31st July.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  15. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Rick the Pr*ck? Guess someone was bitter indeed.

It's too bad Neil couldn't just release Tonight's the Night between TFA and On the Beach to begin with. Then there'd have been no choice necessary in '75. But I guess three releases in nine months (Oct '73 > July '74) would've been a bit much for the market to bear. Even if he'd pushed out OtB a little further.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    tug_of_war likes this.
  16. tug_of_war

Well, it has changed already. Wasn't it for Covid 19, Homegrown would have been released in april, Return To Greendale would have been this month's release instead and Archives would come next month. That was the original schedule. I was a bit skeptical initally, but except for this postponing, the timeline has been resisting for three months already and its first deadline has been met. I'm optimistic now.

monkeyboy67 likes this.
  17. ra7968

ra7968 Chips & Queso

Here is what we know about NYA Volume 2, to date (6/20/2020). Any help for additions on things I may have missed would be appreciated. Neil's answers can be a bit slippery so I have teied to include the exact text of them where appropriate.

What will the package be like:

"NYA V2 CDs and a separate book by Toshi Onuki will be available. Blu Ray is no longer an option for economic reasons.” Source: NYA LTE: 8/1/18

What Years Will it Cover:

“Volume two has so much content that it will be split up into two sets. The first is about 10 disks and will include Odeon-Budokan. The set covers about 4 or 5 years of intensive creativity.” / NYA Letter 4/6/19.
    “72-76”. / NYA LTE: 5/28/19
    “Still, chrono. Homegrown appearing in chronological order” / NYA LTE 2/1/20. When answering a question about whether Vol2 would be presented chronologically as Vol 1 was.

What Disks will be covered:
    “Volume 2 box set has the discs numbered 1 – 10.” / NYA LTE 4/28/20
    “10 disks and will include Odeon-Budokan.” / NYA LTE 4/6/19.
    “Volume 2 has the albums you mention with Tuscaloosa and more” / NYA LTE: 8/3/19.
    “Check Volume 2 TTN disc3 and ROXY disc 4” / NYA LTE 5/5/20.
    “There is a disc called Homegrown in the V2 set. Not exactly like the Homegrown original vinyl album.” / NYA LTE 6/16/20.
    “Dume is on Vol2” / NYA LTE 5/13/20
    “Sessions in Dume / No Hurricane”. / NYA LTE 6/17/20.
    What about SFJ? Neil doesn't answer it explicitly, but here is the related letter which everyone references: Here is the question: “Will the individual titles such as Songs For Judy, Tuscaloosa, Homegrown, etc. also be included in the Archives II box? Thanks." Neil’s reply “Yes. Homegrown will be a truly amazing all analog vinyl release. It sounds incredible on the test pressing!!! The version in V2 is 44.1 CD

What tracks will be included:
    Come Along And Say You Will on Disk 1. / NYA LTE 5/14/19.
    Stringman w/ ODs in a London Studio. / NYA LTE 6/16/20
    Hawaiian Sunrise Disk 6 track 5. 6/16/74, / NYA LTE 6/6/20
    Daughters. / NYA LTE 6/7/20
    Pushed It Over The End. / NYA LTE 5/13/20
    Frozen Man LTE 4/28/20. A “Yes” answer to a listing of 3 songs.
    Mediterranean LTE 4/28 A “Yes” answer to a listing of 3 songs. But it’s unclear because in another letter from 12/2019 Neil states that this song was “Just Mastered”.
    Goodbye Christians On The Shore. 7/10/19. “Many of the songs you mention may be included in Volume 2 of the archives, including Goodbye Christians on the Shore. We are still going back and forth on the content of Disc 1 and how to present it.

Possibly Not Included:
    “Give Me Strength has an issue with the mix and we haven’t gotten to it” , when discussing Homegrown and Homefires. / NYA LTE 12/7/19.

18. I don't like the Danko comments either. Seems bitter as you said.

I think Neil should have ditched Time Fades Away altogether and released TTN instead with OTB as the follow up, maybe Homegrown too but with Deep Forbidden Lake and a couple of better songs than what he's just released which I personally find completely underwhelming.

stonedhenge likes this.
  19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Gosh, I hope it contains almost all unreleased material. If it stops at 77, just think of what Archives 3 would be, potentially.

20. tug_of_war

Great job, man!

21. pool_of_tears

Not necessarily. I think it was just a nickname. They were buddies and fellow Canadians :)

22. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

Gee, imagine if TFA was never released and 'Don't Be Denied' was just this song he played on tour a few times. Not sure I can live in that world!

23. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Not finding any indications that Elliot Mazer is Canadian.

24. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

If anyone should feel bad about Homegrown not coming out it’s Ben Keith. He’s great on this album! Plus TTN was still unreleased for a moment there and kills it on that album too. Come to think of it he kills it on pretty much everything so he probably didn’t think twice about it.

25. pool_of_tears

I was referring to Neil and Rick. I always thought Neil said that. Didn’t realize it was Mazer