I Must Say...Tidal’s Blowin’ My Mind!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, May 24, 2020.

1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Thanks. I guess it’s not for all headphones. It sounded like a 128kbps MP3 on mine.

Rockin' Robby and quicksrt like this.
  2. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

It’s for headphones. Yes it sounds horrible with speakers. Another lame non needed gimmick!

Rockin' Robby and Jaap74 like this.
  3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Sounds horrible on headPhones as well, the same album in HiFi sounds great.

4. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Then my last sentence holds true as well!

Rockin' Robby and Brenald79 like this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Which album?

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

New Lamb Of God.

Their older album Ashes Of The Wake is also in 360 and sounds so strange.

7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

And today Apple announced that its AirPod Pro would be equipped for surround sound. It’s primarily with movies in mind, so I’ll be curious whether it also has use with the 360 sound.

We purchased a car in February that is equipped with 360 sound, and the sense I got was that each speaker was placed in a different corner of a football field. I’m all in favor of new technologies and attempts to push the boundaries, but am not impressed with what I’ve heard thus far.

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

How can you tell? All I can see is "HIFI" in the app. - my DAC shows CD quality. The mastering for this title is awful and it doesn't sound much better.

Tim 2 likes this.
  9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

On the iPad app there’s 2 versions of each of those albums and there’s one of each that says “360” right next to the year of release. And when playing a song it displays “360” where it normally displays “HiFi.”

On my desktop computer there is nothing indicating which version album is the 360 one but there are 2 versions listed.

Deuce66 likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Just signed up for 30 day free Tidal offer. Using an iPhone I’m seeing a lot of buffering when in my car. Is this normal? The biggest reason for trying Tidal was to use it in the car.

11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

How are you connecting, Android or iOS? CarPlay or Bluetooth. That, plus the fact that cell service isn't the best in So. ME (as a part time resident myself) could be contributing factors. You might want to try downloading the album to your phone. That should help out significantly.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm using an iPhone and Bluetooth in a 2012 Prius that doesn't have Airplay. Very true about spotty cell service in southern Maine. When you download a specific album to a phone does it take up the normal space as any other download or ripped album? I'm really new to downloaded music hence the very basic question. Thanks for your thoughts :)!

13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I think they compress it but at Hi-fi or Master levels, I would assume you wouldn't be able to download too many of these without some decent local storage.

Tim 2 and Bill Mac like this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking. My old second hand iPhone 6s is on it's last legs and has very little space for music. Maybe it's time for a new phone. Thanks :)!

Gaslight likes this.
  15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

You can download music in the highest quality to your device. In settings you can chose which quality you want downloads to be. And you can select offline mode so only downloaded music can be played when you aren’t on wifi (so you don’t use you data).

Billy Infinity likes this.
  16. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

You may be able to get a deal on a X, since they’re about to announce the 12 with a new operating system. It will help future proof to some extent as apps retool for the new operating system.

17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Gotta agree with you there, MQA is closer to analog sound then any digital playback I've heard to date.:righton:

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Ran across this the other day on TIDAL: Ultimate System Testers by Bowers & Wilkins

It's a playlist voted on by Bowers & Wilkins community. It covers jazz, classical, EDM, classic rock. Based on what I listened to, mostly pretty good stuff.

Just thought you'd like to know.

sean3089, Laurent42, Tim 2 and 2 others like this.
  19. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Thanks. Just grabbed it.

Pinknik likes this.
  20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Thanks for the tip. :righton:

Pinknik likes this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

vinylshadow and Deuce66 like this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I didn't see anything in the press release that would indicate that Spotify acquired "exclusive rights" for the term of the agreement like they did with the Joe Rogan podcast.

24. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I think that both Amazon and Apple have the clout to put the kibosh on label exclusivity.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I noticed a new album released today that only 2 of the 10 tracks are available to download and play in offline mode. The other 8 tracks gives the message “the record label does not permit streaming of this track” when trying to play in offline mode.