The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

It still doesn't work for me on any platform. I've sent in an email. Thanks.

2. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Thanks to dan for the very responsive CS support. I was able to revert to an earlier os version and everything works. On another note, I put on one of my worst records, an original copy of Pet Sounds. The surface of the record looks like an ice skating rink. It’s so bad that I had to crank it to 9, but I can listen to it now. Simply amazing. I can’t stop switching between the record and monitoring the clicks.

Joel Cairo likes this.
  3. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

So I had a chance to play with the recording features and I'm now pretty happy. The version that I have automatically inserts the track breaks, which are never correct. I assume that's because it's based on track length and when you start recording affects that. At first I was disappointed, but then I realized that the edit track length section is everything that I wanted. I thought that it was tough to be precise using the SC-2 software, but I was wrong. In the edit track length section, not only can can you do it by manually typing in the start/finish time in the track info, but it also lets you use the same type of slider found in the Edit track break section. But whereas I've found the edit track section hard to use, the edit track length section is fantastic. it offers you precision down the tenth of a second and is very easy to use. I guess my only real complaint/feature suggestion so far is that the recording size always defaults to 24/192 FLAC which not what I want to record at. I remember on the first side and forget to check it on the second side. I just wish there was a way to save your recording preference. Other than that, I'm pretty darn happy.

vitamind and Joel Cairo like this.
  4. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

This is a big picture question. I was going to send it to Sweet Vinyl support but I decided to post it here for two reasons. Perhaps one of the Beta tester knows and if not Sweet Vinyl checks this thread out periodically and could answer. I figured the answer would benefit others.

Taking various bits and pieces from the recording guide, it seems that the digitized recording made of the LP does not have the click and pop removal used on import baked into it. It appears the click and pop removal settings are applied upon export. This has several implications. First the click and pop Repair setting you use on import is just for your listening purposes and is not pre-baked into the recording. You set the desired Repair setting in the preferences. This means if you have dead quiet and noisy LPs you recorded together as part of the batch of 8, you will have to do two separate exports. One with the repair setting set at say 2 for the quiet LP's and one at 7 for the noisy vinyl. This would also seem to indicate that you can export two versions of the same recording with two different Repair settings. Also it give you the ability to export a recording with a higher or lower setting if you feel you used the wrong Repair setting when you made the recording.

Is this how it works? Thanks in advance.

BTW My SC-2 has changed my listening experience for LPs and I am becoming quite spoiled by silence for most records.

5. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Member

Jim0830,

Yes, it is my experience that the SC-2 recording functions operates just as you have described. I have never exported but one (two sides) album at a time but it operates just as you have written. I have exported the same file in the SC-2 as a 192k24 flac file for one system and as an MP3 for the car.

I've had my SC-2 since August, 2018 and, like you, my vinyl listening experience was revolutionized.

6. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Old Engineer thanks for confirming my "theory". I too plan to make high res files for certain LPs with a second version for mobile use. I had always ASSumed I would use the SC-2 Mini purely for noisy used LPs I had. I would bypass it for new LPs and high quality or audiophile pressings. I was very glad that it could be controlled remotely because my TT is located remotely from the rest of my system. I would not have to make a trip to the TT and then walk over to the SC-2 Mini each time I played a different album. I leave it set to 2 or 3 for new LPs and I can't believe how spoiled I have become. I honestly hear no difference and believe me I have tried everything I could think of to find an LP to trip it up.

I am just glad I have always maintained that both analogue and digital can sound excellent and there is a place for both. Otherwise I would be eating some serious crow right about now.

Ben Adams likes this.
  7. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Multitasking with SC-2 Mini. I am being specific because it may come down to the processor and other hardware in the SC-2 Mini. I am running SugarCube 2.2-78-g4057c55b-20200611-2245-prod+sc2rec installed 4 days ago.

I have been doing a lot of needle drops with my SC-2 Mini and I was curious if a couple of activities are possible simultaneously. The first is exporting a queue of 1-8 stored recordings to the SC-2 as part of the export function while simply listening to an LP through the click and pop remover. Does this over tax the processor or is it possible? I don't care if the prepping files for export function takes a little longer, as long as the end results for the saved files are the same. A more extreme version of this is: Can you be saving a queue of 7 or less stored files and meanwhile record another LP simultaneously?

The SC-2 has completely changed my expectations when it comes to listening to LPs.

Perhaps Sweet Vinyl can chime in on best practice. TIA

Jim

Old Engineer and Chemguy like this.
  8. frans callebaut

frans callebaut Well-Known Member

i have a sc-1 and it does not reduce the groove noise.

Chemguy likes this.
  9. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Just an update on my SC-2 recording experience. After reading the back and forth between Jim and Old Engineer, I finally have a good grasp on how to properly record and transfer albums. I have to admit, that I'm impressed with the software. After initial disappointment, practice and some good CS from Sweet Vinyl has made me a believer. I'm still on a rolled back version of the software but it's met all of my needs so far and the end results are great. I find it easy and once you learn how it works it really is easy and the options are great. I'm looking forward to the release of the desktop software and the ability to move away from the browser based system, even though it works well.

Old Engineer and Chemguy like this.
  10. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Thank you. That takes it off the table for me.

11. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

The new sc-1 or sc-1+ may. I remember some talk about it here that the new versions might but that the older versions didn't have the horse power to do it. I'd email SweetVinyl and ask.

Chemguy likes this.
  12. frans callebaut

Back in 2017 they promised a surface vinyl noise reduction software firmware upgrade for the original SC-1 units. But it has not yet appeared.

Chemguy likes this.
  13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The groove noise, as in groove damage, can sometimes be moderately reduced. But I only have a few of these types of records out of 2000. Don’t be deterred...you could not regret owning this component.

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’ve had my SC-1 since I was a beta tester over three years ago, maybe 4 now.

I never listen without it, and it’s never had an issue. Needless to say, I found it transformative and just plain awesome.

clhboa likes this.
  15. frans callebaut

and i have spent all my life savings to a unit that eliminates surface noise. now i have lost all my money to a promise they do not keep.

16. SweetVinyl

SweetVinyl Forum Resident

Actually Frans - we are just now shipping the first few upgrades for SC-1 units to SC-1NR - we are doing a handful right now in the US first - and nothing has changed - the unit must be returned to either the factory or an approved dealer who can do the upgrade - it is a $500 charge and it has never been planned as a firmware upgrade. Please stop with the inaccurate posts and remember we have had a consistent message - never promised you surface noise reduction when you purchased the unit - while we do strive to keep all our customers happy you seem to have expectations and make statements that make it hard for that to ever happen.

When we get the next shipment of CPUs we will start offering the first upgrades for the SC-2.

On SVNR: (Available for original SC-1 and SC-2 units)
    This requires returning it to the factory and then we will make the changes – it will not make the unit into a PLUS as that would require a new main board, power supply, and enclosure, in addition to the CPU. The updated unit will be an SC-1 svNR or SC-2 svNR.

The unit will receive a new CPU, S/N, be fully tested and burned in and then returned to the customer. This is not an upgrade we are offering in the field and not available automatically like OS updates are.

SVNR:

SVNR software is best used for 78’s, older recordings with tape hiss, classical, etc. It is not meant to be used an all types of music or recordings.

//SVNR - “We do the best we can to "Reduce" Surface Noise in relation to the music or silence at any particular point in a recording and give the user a way to evaluate it as they do with click and pop thresholds. But we cannot "Remove" it completely or isolate it - it is broadband and so part of the music - heavy use of this reduces the quality and most groups we have given technology demos to prefer a light touch. What we can do is use is intelligently reduce the surface noise using psycho acoustic methods where we are aggressive when the sampled noise is high relative to the music and during quiet passages - and back off when the music is louder than the surface noise. In our demos this is best with music that was wide dynamic ranges (like classical) and loud constant surface noise (tape hiss and 78s). But it is a mistake for us to try and claim or for a user to ask that surface noise be isolated or eliminated completely without damaging the music.”//

If any users have questions please email [email protected]

jon9091, JohnO, Joel Cairo and 4 others like this.
  17. frans callebaut

it's going to cost me a fortune to send it back to the states, then having it sent back to belgium and then have to pay custom income taxes.

18. SweetVinyl

Like we have told you before there is an option to send it to the UK when we qualify a dealer that we are in discussions with - but we do not have and do not plan to have a Benelux dealer - in the world of audio, Belgium is very small and you ended up buying out of the UK from what I can determine - this is the best we can do and been a consistent message. You have been told this at least 5-6 times by me personally. Please check back with us directly in 60 days and we can direct you to a dealer in the UK who will work with you.

19. stereoguy

Thanks, but to remove groove noise would be the *only* way I'd consider buying it.

20. SweetVinyl

That is a standard feature on the SC-1 PLUS and SC-2 Plus - or an upgraded SC-1 or SC-2 see information above regarding SVNR.

21. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You would be absolutely stunned as to how much groove noise is just moderate pops and clicks that the SC-1 takes away.

Just wanted you to know that. If you have a typical record collection, this component becomes indispensable. My collection is not typical; it is now replete with very noisy recordings that the SugarCube removes with no audible difference.

marblesmike likes this.
  22. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

Is your record collection mainly 78’s and old classical recordings?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  23. stereoguy

Nope, 50s and 60s LPs. Many are not in great shape. Not that they are really noisy, they arent, but they are certainly not pristine. Many have constant groove noise. If the Sugar isnt going to remove it without messing up the highs, it would be of no value at all to me.
    But if it makes others happy, I think thats great and they should enjoy it.

24. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I cannot claim I have a lot of 50th recording, but I have some.
    For example "Sidney Bechet With Wally Bishop's Orchestra" -10 incher from 1953. Without SugarCube it is very difficult to listen to - pops and crackle galore, overpowering music, noise, you name it. With SC-1 mini on 5 - yes, there is some noise and hiss left, but record become pretty enjoyable, especially with non-RIAA curve, Decca as far as I can remember.

25. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

@SweetVinyl

I may be replacing my current Phono stage to a tube one with a built in mono switch.
    Will there be any issues with me engaging the mono switch before the signal is sent to the SC-1?
    I can't see why there would be a problem but it's always good to check.