Supertramp Crime of the Century

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floatupstream, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why am I just discovering this album now? I was put off by the overly pop ( though infectious) Breakfast In America that I never gave them serious consideration. This album is a masterpiece! Not one bad cut. I even enjoy the extended version of Dreamer. Does anyone feel they get short shifted when it comes to prog rock credibility?

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It is SO much better than Breakfast in America. BiA is nice art-pop, but IMHO it's not that substantial. Crime of the Century is their masterpiece.

bever70, dlm1129, Kundalini and 26 others like this.
  3. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

... not a wasted second.

4. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

It is a great album, one of the great bands.. "Crisis? What Crisis?" is another with nothing but greatness.

I also don't like songs like "Dreamer", "It's Raining Again", "Bloody Well Right", and its not an indicator of the band.

cjc, Blastproof, polchik and 2 others like this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The great Ken Scott engineered on that album. Amazing sound, terrific band, great writing and performances.

A desert island album for me.

Siegmund, ARod, ex_mixer and 20 others like this.
  6. Floatupstream

I actually like Bloody Well Right, of course I guess I am not burned out on it like some others. School is probably my favorite cut as of now, but that could change to Everyone Was Listening or Hide in Your Shell tomorrow!

7. Floatupstream

Yes, one of the best SOUNDING albums I have ever heard.

Icethorn, bever70, ARod and 13 others like this.
  8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

It's Supertramp's best album, and best sounding (in my opinion)...I own several different variations on cd and vinyl

9. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Breakfast in America is, while not bad at all, over rated - their 2 masterpieces is COTC and EITQM

10. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

I agree it's their best album, but we just recently had a thread on this (which seems to be closed) and a whole bunch of BIA fans almost tore the OP to pieces for daring to say he wasn't too impressed with the album. Crime of the Century is the proggiest album they did. BIA is an excellent collection of pop songs. Crisis What Crisis and Even In The Quietest Moments are in between these two. In the end of the day, all four albums are essential imo. Oh, and get Paris as well.

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's because Supertramp is not a prog band! Which is not a putdown at all because those four albums are great. :righton:

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It isn't. Look at what they put out before Crime.

bever70, oneslip17, Kundalini and 2 others like this.
  13. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I've always preferred CotC to BiA.

14. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Supertramp is in my opinion a criminally underrated band.

15. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

My favourite Supertramp album and the one I return most often to. Quite unique musical combination, though maybe more prog-poprock, than rock.

Speakers Corner reissue sounds perfect to me.

16. TeleCaster

TeleCaster Forum Resident

Good band, totally overplayed back in the 70s on FM radio. Definitely not Prog Rock.

Joti Cover and Svetonio like this.
  17. MortSahlFan

I think they are the most underrated band.

18. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

It was the album that introduced me to Supertramp and it’s still my favourite.

sound chaser, Alan2, ARod and 4 others like this.
  19. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I would say that Crime Of The Century is one of those rare albums where, by some curious combination of a spark of creativity, an in tune collection of musicians, some skilled production and engineering, and a little bit of luck, you end up with a solid, cohesive, and flawless piece of work.

I've never seen Supertramp as a "prog" band. I'd categorize them as an imaginative pop/rock band.

Alan2, ARod, Kundalini and 12 others like this.
  20. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

3 superb LPs

Crime Of The Century
    Crisis? What Crisis?
    Even In The Quietest Moments

sound chaser, ARod, cjc and 13 others like this.
  21. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Great band. Never really cared to the "categorisation" purists always end up giving to their music though. And I couldn't care less either if my favourite tunes were massively played on FM radios or MTV or whatever... their so-called "progish" or ''proggy" (always feverly disliked these adjectives) stuff never grabbed me as my favourite Supertramp songs (with the exception of ''School", which is the first of my very favorites ever.) BIA and CoTC are equally great in my book, and my favourite albums, hands down, a couple of favourites on each one: ''School'' and ''Dreamer" on the latter; "Take The Long Way Home'' and "The Logical Song" on the former. "Goodbye Stranger" runs close behind them though. So then, come to think of it, a slight edge to BIA :winkgrin:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Suncola, Hermes and MortSahlFan like this.
  22. Jamsterdammer

You may be right. To be honest, I listened to both only once or twice a looong time ago and remember I didn't like them. Perhaps I should revisit.

MortSahlFan and Strat-Mangler like this.
  23. Jamsterdammer

Not in my country (Netherlands). Every year, one of the main radio stations (mostly listened to by boomers, I must admit) compiles a list of the 2000 best songs of all time, based on lists sent in by listeners, and broadcasts the entire list non-stop during the last week of the year. In 2019, Supertramp was in the list with a whopping 11 songs. "School" is the highest in the list at #41, followed by "Fool's Overture" at 71, "The Logical Song" at 286 and "Dreamer" at 515. Not bad for an underrated band.

DJ LX, MitchLT, Buddybud and 3 others like this.
  24. MortSahlFan

I've been to The Netherlands (as an American citizen) 6 times, and always found more Supertramp fans there than here. I wonder if it has anything to do with Sam Miesegaes financing the band.

25. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Absolutely.
    Glad you discovered it, it's really great. Better late than never...and it would be boring if we had heard it all! The songwriting as well as the production are good. Great sounding album.

Actually, an edited version of "Rudy" was the b-side to "Take the Long Way Home".

Joti Cover likes this.