Better Call Saul - Season Five Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Yeah he always strikes me as still that privileged scion at heart and in that sense probably still dresses like he did to impress his father 20 years ago. In trying to find if they established when his father died I ran into a pic with him using a tie bar, another fashion anachronism.

ciderglider and Tim S like this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks for that. I always wanted to stop and look around the Gene scenes.

Not sure if it was mentioned but I was wondering what paperback Gene is reading on his lunch break.

Its “The Moons A Balloon” by David Niven.

The book apparently re-accounts his flashy hollywood lifestyle and weaves exaggerations. Kind of like Saul. I wonder if Jimmy got some of his ideas for Saul from the book. If nothing else it tells us that Jimmy is still in the fantasy of being Saul and probably misses it unbearably so. Which leads up to him saying “Ill fix it”. He is a time bomb ready to explode into orange polyester pants and green paisley ties.

And his lunch bag is a KC Royals lunch bag. Still holding on to Kim. Kim of course always rooting for the underdog (KC Royals) is probably her undoing.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    proedros, ciderglider and Chrome_Head like this.
  4. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

Maybe coming from a family with an established reputation in law Howard feels he has nothing to prove, and entitled to dress in a nouveau riche style. This contrasts with Chuck who seems uncomfortable with his humble background and dresses more conservatively.

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Also consider this takes place in New Mexico, which is a far cry from New York, Paris or Milan, and that's a good thing!

ciderglider and George P like this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

[​IMG]

RayS likes this.
  7. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I recently started re-watching BCS from the beginning (almost midway through season 2) and I was reminded what a prick Chuck is and how outstanding the show was from the get-go.

8. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Howard is more a legal administrator than an attorney. He is virtually all PR. He has an idea of what an ”elite” law firm must look like to the outside world and he strives to personify that in the image he creates with his dress, car and demeanor. He is not a skilled litigator and is not a wise savant or legal strategist-he must delegate to others who are more talented than he. And like many untalented managers he is arrogant and insecure but can be satisfied that he achieves wealth and influence anyway. This “achievement” gives him the “right” to boss others who may include those who are much more talented than he but who are subordinate to him. A despicable character all around.

Szeppelin75 and ciderglider like this.
  9. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Seems a bit harsh. He's far from noble, but in the BCS/BB universe I would rate Howard pretty far down on the list of despicable. Seems pretty normally flawed like most of us imo.

51IS, ciderglider, AudioEnz and 4 others like this.
  10. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Blackballing your own brother for any position at your law firm is pretty despicable.

Rather than a blackball, a simple warning to the partners that Chuck had reservations and an encouragement to watch Jimmy carefully would have been more appropriate, in my opinion.

I actually think that HHM might have benefited from a "fixer" who worked skillfully at the very farthest edges of what is barely legal. I suspect that is the reason that Howard has tried to reach out to Jimmy/Saul.

GentleSenator likes this.
  11. JimW

The original post was about Howard, not Chuck...

And I see Chuck as more sick than despicable. But his sickness did lead to some despicable acts.

Tim S and GentleSenator like this.
  12. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

My mistake. Sorry.

13. JimW

Absolutely despicable! :rant: :D ;)

14. Nightfly68

I'm late to the party in learning this but I recently learned that Bob Odenkirk wrote this sketch.

cwitt1980, MikeInFla and yesstiles like this.
  15. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I keep seeing conflicting reports: will there be a final season (6) or not?

16. Nightfly68

Yes, they start filming in the Fall.

rufus t firefly and Madness like this.
  17. Madness

Thanks! Glad they'll have the opportunity to wrap things up properly.

rufus t firefly and Nightfly68 like this.
  18. Nightfly68

Supposed to be very sad and Gilligan said it will make people forget the last season of Breaking Bad. Yeesh.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

how sad can it really be though? unless it's focused heavily on the gene world, we know where most of these characters end up.

20. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

21. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Guess this means that Kim will be killed off(in front of Saul?). Also, not looking good for Nacho and his Dad. We only know that Gus, Mike and Saul will survive(but maybe not Gene).

Lalo, I am not sure, as despite his Name being mentioned by Saul in an episode of ‘Breaking Bad’, that itself does not verify he was alive at the time, and I think Gus will have him killed off the Final Season of ‘BCS’. Although, maybe like when the Final Season of ‘BB’ was being created, Gilligan and Gould were not sure at the time how it was going to end when they started to write that Final Season.

Stoked and can’t wait for 2021. I assume the 6th Season will not be ready to view until September, but will still be able to end in late 2021.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  22. Madness

Why does everyone think Kim is going to be murdered?

23. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Because she is now ‘In the Game’.

24. Madness

That doesn't mean she gets killed. Maybe she has had enough at one point and just leaves? She has some integrity, and Jimmy keeps getting in deeper and deeper.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

That would explain her not physically being in it. But she doesn't even get mentioned in Breaking Bad either. And she's clearly the love of Jimmy/Saul's life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.